By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer accuses Sony of buying FFXIV console exclusivity

Unfortunately, it does not appear the game will be headed to the Microsoft platform any time soon. Speaking with IGN, Xbox head Phil Spencer explained this is due to business and platform exclusivity.

"It's business," he said, adding he couldn't speak too candidly about the matter. "As I've grow in this role, and I've tried to learn the third-party exclusivity thing - and you see us doing less of it now - [I've found] it's not something I'm a huge fan of."

"Different kind of deals happen, and I know that's part of this busienss, and maybe it'll be my failing in the end," he says, laughing. "But it's not something I specifically embrace with any deal that's out there, whether it's something else. It's just not something I can explicitly talk to."

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/09/19/xbox-head-discusses-why-final-fantasy-14-is-not-on-xbox-one

Around the Network

Lol like MS have never money-hatted a franchise before...

Deals arise all the time, but in this instance he's full of shit. The XIV dev team has been talking for years about wanting to get it onto Xbox, but their draconian policies don't allow it.

SE said themselves its because Microsoft won't allow cross-play.

Well, in this case it was probably largely to do with Square Enix's long standing relations with Sony and the fact PlayStation has been their go-to platform for a long time. They don't have much motivation to try their hand at Xbox this gen with FFXIV (which isn't even a big new game, it's been out for a while) when Xbox is losing. Just saying, Sony likely didn't have to do much for this one.

Around the Network

Yeah, they spend 2.5 billion dollars on a lego game instead...

KingdomHeartsFan said:

SE said themselves its because Microsoft won't allow cross-play.

This. What with all of the spencer quotes lately? (to anyone)

SE always bends over to Sony, that's nothing new.

Also every console maker has bought and will buy third party games.

Nintendo: Bayonetta 2, Genei Ibun Roku #FE, Pokken Tournament, SSB4 (made by a third party studio), Star Fox Zero, TW101, Hyrule Warriors

Sony: R & C, Bloodborne

MS: Recore, Scalebound

Samus Aran said:
SE always bends over to Sony, that's nothing new.

Also every console maker has bought and will buy third party games.

Nintendo: Bayonetta 2, Genei Ibun Roku #FE, Pokken Tournament, SSB4 (made by a third party studio), Star VFox Zero, TW101, Hyrule Warriors

MS: Recore, Scalebound

Didnt seem like it during last gen...

Spencer is so full of shit. First he moneyhats games like Tomb Raider saying that Xbox needs an adventure title and then he says that he's not a fan of these kind of deals. Can't understand why people are so crazy about him.