By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Destiny: The Taken King Review Thread (Meta 85 with 60 reviews)

Got back into it after being almost a year away.
I love it now as much as I hated it then. An awesome game, deserves the score for sure. I can see myself putting months of gaming time into this title.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
can someone tell me wtf this game actually is?

is it an expansion that I install ontop of the original destiny games? is it the original game with expansions in it?

therefore wtf do i need the original game for and why shoudl I pay full retail for this lol?

It's a $40 expansion for people who already own the original Destiny and its 2 DLC.

If you don't own any of that, you can buy the original Destiny, the 2 DLCs and the taken king expansion for $60. It's called Destiny: Legendary Edition. This is a great deal for newcomers since you don't have to buy all the previous stuff individually. You get everything, including the new expansion for only $60, which IMO is an amazing deal. You will drown in the sheer amount of content and could be playing the game for months if you really get into it.

UltimateUnknown said:
Neodegenerate said:

Problem is a lot of people have a 10 or 1 mentality.  If they are taking the time to review the game it is either the best or worst thing they have ever played in their lives.

That is absolute BS. I have played games before that I did not like and played games that I liked. Neither category were 10 or 1. In fact I'd argue I've never actually played a truly 10 game, as in something that is flawless in every regard, or a 1 game, which is literally broken.

This whole 10 or 1 mentality really needs to stop. I think this is what leads to all this the birth of trolls and blind fanboys. But who am I kidding, this is never gonna go away.

Which part is BS?  The idea that most people rate things a 10 or a 1 or the 10 or 1 mentality itself?  Not rating something a 10 (or max) or 1 puts you in the minority usually.  Hell, look at Amazon's reviews.  Most "average" products are full of 5s.  Sure you have your rational-minded people who give an average product a 3, but those are few and far between.  

The mentality is also worsened by the fact that someone will go out of their way to speak on something they hate while they won't go out of their way to discuss what they enjoy.

Burek said:
Got back into it after being almost a year away.
I love it now as much as I hated it then. An awesome game, deserves the score for sure. I can see myself putting months of gaming time into this title.

They really did improve every aspect of the game. It's just such a joy when you finish the main "taken" story thinking its over only to find one bajillion quests open up, making you realise you've only just scratched the surface of the game by finishing the main story quest.

And we haven't even gotten to the raid yet. We haven't even gotten to the main attraction that made all the veteran Destiny players fall in love with the game.

Neodegenerate said:
UltimateUnknown said:

That is absolute BS. I have played games before that I did not like and played games that I liked. Neither category were 10 or 1. In fact I'd argue I've never actually played a truly 10 game, as in something that is flawless in every regard, or a 1 game, which is literally broken.

This whole 10 or 1 mentality really needs to stop. I think this is what leads to all this the birth of trolls and blind fanboys. But who am I kidding, this is never gonna go away.

Which part is BS?  The idea that most people rate things a 10 or a 1 or the 10 or 1 mentality itself?  Not rating something a 10 (or max) or 1 puts you in the minority usually.  Hell, look at Amazon's reviews.  Most "average" products are full of 5s.  Sure you have your rational-minded people who give an average product a 3, but those are few and far between.  

The mentality is also worsened by the fact that someone will go out of their way to speak on something they hate while they won't go out of their way to discuss what they enjoy.

Both really. I mean purely from a logical point of view, you could really hate a game, but once you let your emotions settle down and think hard about it, its likely that there is at least some aspect of that game you liked, no matter how small. That would already suggest the game is not a 1/10. Same goes the other way around. Even if you absolutely adore a game, if you thought hard about it you could probably find some flaws in it, no matter how small. So its not a 10/10. The point is, this digitized 1 and 0 way of thinking really stops our communities from being better.

If rather than saying "F THIS GAME IT SUCKS BALLS F U SHIZNITS GAAAAAAAAAH 1/10" or "BEST GAME EVAAAAAAAAAR FAIRIES, PONIES, RAINBOWS 10/10" we actually had someone who gave a reasonable score and said what he/she liked as well as disliked about the game, the reviews would be more useful and we could all make more informed decisions. Right now because all these people are giving such extreme scores we have no choice to blanket disregard them as either trolls or fanboys. Really they are ultimately doing a diservice to themselves.

But I understand your point and I get that most people who do end up reviewing just do so to either give a 1 or a 10.

Around the Network

Glad to see Taken King doing well in the meta! I just hope it can reach 90 by the time all the reviews have been published.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Taken King has restored my faith in Destiny! I completely stop playing when i did the main missions of House Of Wolves. It was shit. But with this expansion i've been playing non stop since yesterday and it keeps on giving! So much content and the raid is not available yet.
New missions are totally exciting!
New lvling system is a lot better aswell!
I think i already did like 30 new missions and have another 13 in my inventory. also did only 1 strike out of 3 (?)
Daaamn im totally burned again!

Good to know bungie has redeemed themselves.

Don't these positive reviews point at something unseemly about Destiny?

"making this the unmissable Bungie title that Destiny should’ve been a year ago"

"Systemically, this is the game Destiny should have been from the beginning"

"More importantly, all of what you get with The Taken King makes sense and seems to draw closer to the original Bungie dream that never came to fruition in the original release"

So the people who dropped $60-$100 for Destiny last September need to spend another $40 to get, to quote Cheat Code Central, "the game Destiny should have been from the beginning"?

I understand celebrating the fact that Destiny is now better, but shouldn't we hold Bungie/Activision responsible for such a cynical business practice?

WTF... Destiny had a 76 metascorce... Reviews doesn't make sense...