By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Eddie_Raja said:
Samus Aran said:
Eddie_Raja said:

How can something be a flop and yet very popular?  Did I hit a nerve?

The Wii  U won't pass the Vita.  Deal.  With.  It. 

That should make you want Ninty to launch a new platform ASAP.

PS3 sold over 80 million and cost Sony billions. It's a flop.

At least the Wii U has games that sold respectable numbers. Vita doesn't.

Haha PS3 easily broke even or profited a little overal, and it will sell 90m+.  Vita made a profit as well even if won't reach even half of the PSP (Or 1/4th).

However the Wii U is possibly the worst selling (Real) console of all time to be released by a major player in the industry.   

Anyways I don't get why you keep bringing up other consoles while we are talking about the Wii U.... *Looks at Samus name and picture** Oh I get it, yeah no bias on your side /s

Proof?...

I know in 2012 alone it's annual losses were 5.74 billion. http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-posts-record-5-74-bil-annual-loss-playstation-division-reports-2-8-bil-loss/

In 2011 a 3.1 billion annual loss. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-13557431

and in 2009 a 1 billion dollar loss. http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/14/sony-posts-1b-loss-first-in-14-years/

And that's just the big annual losses for the company. The other years they were making losses in the millions just not the billions, and they are going to break even on the PS3? Lol. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

We actually don't know this for a fact, people have mistranslated and misconstrued this statement greatly. It probably is by now (one would hope a nearly 4 year old piece of tech is profitable), but we don't know for sure. 

Nintendo is in a very bad spot here honestly, the fuck ups with the Wii U and the decline of the traditional handheld market has put them in a bad position now. 

Yes we actualy do know that fact

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/464217206100738048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wii U still have same $299 launch price, even without this fact its logical that 2 years later hardware will be become profitable with same price, because on launch we know that Nintendo made profit with one console and just one sold game.

Nintendo is in bad postion, but not in very bad beacuse they made good profit in 2014. fiscal year and in first quarter of this year, as long as they make money and not lose it, they are not in very bad postion regardless of console sales.

Saying that, in 2015. year they will very likely be again in profit, and I think next year even without new hardware (we already know that WiiU/3DS will have decent lineups and they will certainly have price cuts) they can still be in profit, so yes they can easily go through 2016. without new hardware, but I don't think that will be cause because this are bad sales and bad profit for Nintendo standards and evryething points we will have new hardeare next year, but we cant be 100% confident that we are geting new hardware next year and not in 2017, but chances are bigger for 2016. relase date.

Dat truth make dem like 

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes we actualy do know that fact

https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/464217206100738048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wii U still have same $299 launch price, even without this fact its logical that 2 years later hardware will be become profitable with same price, because on launch we know that Nintendo made profit with one console and just one sold game.

Nintendo is in bad postion, but not in very bad beacuse they made good profit in 2014. fiscal year and in first quarter of this year, as long as they make money and not lose it, they are not in very bad postion regardless of console sales.

Saying that, in 2015. year they will very likely be again in profit, and I think next year even without new hardware (we already know that WiiU/3DS will have decent lineups and they will certainly have price cuts) they can still be in profit, so yes they can easily go through 2016. without new hardware, but I don't think that will be cause because this are bad sales and bad profit for Nintendo standards and evryething points we will have new hardeare next year, but we cant be 100% confident that we are geting new hardware next year and not in 2017, but chances are bigger for 2016. relase date.

Dat truth make dem like 

Not that I really care to argue this point but Gibbongame's "translations" are often times inaccurate also because he's often live blogging from Nintendo Q/A events and quickly typing things and doesn't have the best grasp of the language either. 

The tweet he made about the Wii U hardware being profitable really ended up being that Iwata was saying they would not take a loss on Wii U units that fiscal year ... because they had so much unsold inventory that they would not have to manufacture new units for that existing fiscal year for example (which means the losses for those manufactured units were already accounted into the previous fiscal year). People did not understand that and thought it meant "Wii U is now profitable to manufacture!", when that's not what he said at all. If you want actual translations its better to read the actual fiscal reports that Nintendo provides at the year/quarter ends which have professionally translated versions of the Q/A and investor briefings. 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Dat truth make dem like 

Not that I really care to argue this point but Gibbongame's "translations" are often times inaccurate also because he's often live blogging from Nintendo Q/A events and quickly typing things and doesn't have the best grasp of the language either. 

The tweet he made about the Wii U hardware being profitable really ended up being that Iwata was saying they would not take a loss on Wii U units that fiscal year ... because they had so much unsold inventory that they would not have to manufacture new units for that existing fiscal year for example (which means the losses for those manufactured units were already accounted into the previous fiscal year). People did not understand that and thought it meant "Wii U is now profitable to manufacture!", when that's not what he said at all. If you want actual translations its better to read the actual fiscal reports that Nintendo provides at the year/quarter ends which have professionally translated versions of the Q/A and investor briefings. 

Show their annual losses for last year then... Oh wait...

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Show their annual losses for last year then... Oh wait...

I'll show you the actual quote from Iwata:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508qa/index.html

With respect to the impact of Wii U hardware sales on profit and loss, in order to sell 3.60 million units, we have to produce some more hardware units on top of our current hardware inventory. However, since the loss arising due to the hardware production costs being higher than our trade price was taken into account in the previous fiscal year, you could assume that there will be almost no loss this fiscal year for the sales of the 3.60 million hardware units.

What he's saying is the manfacturing cost for a lot of their Wii U inventory came from the previous fiscal year (read: we have a shit load of Wii Us sitting unsold so we don't have to manufacture many more), so the loss for those units was already factored in to the previous fiscal year. He even says "almost no loss", which means there IS a loss even when you take those previously manufactured units into account. 

Somehow this got simplified into "lulz, Wii U is sold at profit" ... like again, this is an example of very shoddy internet game reporting. 

The truth is I don't think Nintendo's part suppliers are willing to give them any breaks on the Wii U components and that's why Nintendo is having a hard time getting production cost down. They used a lot of propietary parts that no one else uses like the Renesas eDRAM, which ironically now I believe is made in only one factory which is owned by Sony. Resistive touch panel on the controller, IBM PowerPC CPU, these are components no one else uses anymore etc. etc. They are likely getting killed on these component costs. Since the system is not selling great, suppliers are not going to be enthusiastic about lowering their supply cost because there's no upside for them to doing that. 

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
Samus Aran said:
Eddie_Raja said:

How can something be a flop and yet very popular?  Did I hit a nerve?

The Wii  U won't pass the Vita.  Deal.  With.  It. 

That should make you want Ninty to launch a new platform ASAP.

PS3 sold over 80 million and cost Sony billions. It's a flop.

At least the Wii U has games that sold respectable numbers. Vita doesn't.

Haha PS3 easily broke even or profited a little overal, and it will sell 90m+.  Vita made a profit as well even if won't reach even half of the PSP (Or 1/4th).

However the Wii U is possibly the worst selling (Real) console of all time to be released by a major player in the industry.   

Anyways I don't get why you keep bringing up other consoles while we are talking about the Wii U.... *Looks at Samus name and picture** Oh I get it, yeah no bias on your side /s

PS3 won't profit at all lol... It can sell as much as it wants, it's a big fat fail. And so is the Vita.

You call the Wii U the worst selling real console yet hail the Vita even though it barely sold more? It has like  4 one million sellers lol, that's bad.

I bring up other consoles because that's what you were debating. Try and keep up will ya.

I don´t think that the NX will be launched in 2016. Nintendo will need a lot of time to develop its concept, and they will need to do it VERY carefully.
I´d bet early 2017, sometime between March and May. Just a bet.

Games for WiiU next year? Lets see.....

Zelda,
Pikmin 4,
SMT x FE,
Pokken Tournment,
Starfox Zero,
"Project Guard",
"Project Giant Robot",
Sacrilegium,
Lego Marvel Avengers,
Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games,
Mighty N. 09,
Lost Reavers (that Namco online treasure-hunting multiplayer game),
Yooka-Laylee

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Dat truth make dem like 

Again, Wii U still have same $299 launch price, even without this fact its logical that 2 years later hardware will be become profitable with same price, because on launch we know that Nintendo made profit with one console and just one sold game.

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

I'll bet the Zelda U will have the biggest first week of any Wii U game. *Edit* Granted only if it is exclusive.

Yeah and then what?

It'll drop like a rock in week 2. It won't be one of the top three selling games for the system and likely won't sell anywhere near what Nintendo would want for a game of its budget (5 year dev cycle, HD graphics, large open world) if its only on Wii U. 

That opening would be bigger if it was a launch title for the NX. But hurrah for lower sales I guess. 

With 10 million users on the Wii U, it could actually sustain sales for quite some time, and if the price of the Wii U gets dropped to $250-$200 who knows. 

And your saying with 10 million it won't be in the top three sold games of all time, but for the NX it would, lol. Also, I don't think you'd realize exactly how much NX sales would canabalise Wii U sales. If with 10 million consoles sold we are essentially expecting (to not be one of the top three selling games) around the 3 million mark. We are guessing the NX could release at 60 percent of the Wii U userbase, which would be 6 million. If we guess how many people own a Wii U would also be an early adopter of the NX (I'm gonna low ball it and say 50%), that would leave 3 million NEW potential owners who would buy the game. Now take into consideration that only 33.3 percent of the userbase would be interested in getting the game (based on a userbase of 10 million only 3 million are going to get the LoZ) and we see the sales potential is around 1 million more games sold to new potential buyers, if we put a LOT of trust that 50% of owners will be new. Sounds pretty good....

Until you realise in order to do that they will be needing to sacrifice a machine powerful enough to get multiplats without a little effort from third parties (and we know how that is going to go) pretty much resulting in a complete loss of third parties in the second year (sound familiar?), gutting any potential for sales for the Wii U by releasing a AAA game that does generate hype, gutting the potential for sales for the game ON Wii U (if it releases on the NX, no one who has an NX is going to get the Wii U version), making sales potential of a price cut pretty much useless. 

Also, we got to take into account the reality that chances are 75% or higher of the day 1 NX owners are going to be previous Wii U owners (the fans of Nintendo). That being the case, we can really only look at around 750 thousand copies sold to new owners at bestm ~500 thousand worst... 

Just because some petty kid on the internet wants to hoot and holler that Nintendo needs to release the NX and end the Wii U as soon as possible does not make it a good financial decision.

Pavolink said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Not easy, and the console was not released to "broke even". It was the successor of the PS2. PS3 is a big fat failure for Sony that took a lot of time and investment to make it look a little better.

Wii U is the worst selling homeconsole ever and a real failure that made (alongside the 3DS) Nintendo operate in red numbers.

That's why they need NX as soon as possible.

Actualy they first loose was is 2011 fiscal year, year and half before Wii U was launch, also Nintendo made solid profit in 2014. fiscal year and in first quarter of this year.

3/2011 means the financial year ended March 2011.