By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Haha PS3 easily broke even or profited a little overal, and it will sell 90m+.  Vita made a profit as well even if won't reach even half of the PSP (Or 1/4th).

However the Wii U is possibly the worst selling (Real) console of all time to be released by a major player in the industry.   

Anyways I don't get why you keep bringing up other consoles while we are talking about the Wii U.... *Looks at Samus name and picture** Oh I get it, yeah no bias on your side /s

Not easy, and the console was not released to "broke even". It was the successor of the PS2. PS3 is a big fat failure for Sony that took a lot of time and investment to make it look a little better.

Wii U is the worst selling homeconsole ever and a real failure that made (alongside the 3DS) Nintendo operate in red numbers.

That's why they need NX as soon as possible.

Actualy they first loose was is 2011 fiscal year, year and half before Wii U was launch, also Nintendo made solid profit in 2014. fiscal year and in first quarter of this year.

3/2011 means the financial year ended March 2011.

Net income really isn't the best metric to look at, you want to look at operating profit because that shows what the core business is doing. Net income can be radically altered by things like currency flucuations. I.E.: You could lose money from your actual game business but turn up a profit due to things like a favorable curreny exchange or laying off X amount as an example. 

Around the Network

"Knowing the big titles..." I at first though you said "Knowing the big TITTIES..." I had to do a double take.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Haha PS3 easily broke even or profited a little overal, and it will sell 90m+.  Vita made a profit as well even if won't reach even half of the PSP (Or 1/4th).

However the Wii U is possibly the worst selling (Real) console of all time to be released by a major player in the industry.   

Anyways I don't get why you keep bringing up other consoles while we are talking about the Wii U.... *Looks at Samus name and picture** Oh I get it, yeah no bias on your side /s

Not easy, and the console was not released to "broke even". It was the successor of the PS2. PS3 is a big fat failure for Sony that took a lot of time and investment to make it look a little better.

Wii U is the worst selling homeconsole ever and a real failure that made (alongside the 3DS) Nintendo operate in red numbers.

Actualy they first loose was is 2011 fiscal year, year and half before Wii U was launch, also Nintendo made solid profit in 2014. fiscal year and in first quarter of this year.

Net income really isn't the best metric to look at, you want to look at operating profit because that shows what the core business is doing. Net income can be radically altered by things like currency flucuations. I.E.: You could lose money from your actual game business but turn up a profit due to things like a favorable curreny exchange or laying off X amount as an example. 

Still kind of shows financially they don't HAVE to do anything. They could easily wait till 2017.

Soundwave said:

The only "big" title in development for the Wii U is Zelda.

And they're mysteriously now refusing to show it and delayed it a year, which reeks of the exact same situation that happened with Twilight Princess. They would share TP media somewhat regularily and then we got a big block of radio slience on the game, and the next we saw it, ta-da it's suddenly a Wii game.

Star Fox, Pokken, SMT x Fire Emblem, Mario Tennis these are just farmed out projects that Nintendo is not developing internally, when Nintendo's lineup starts to become majority outsourced/farmed out projects, it's another tell tale sign that they're ending their involvement with a console.

GameCube's end cycle was the same story ... Star Fox Assault, Battallion Wars, Mario Strikers, Mario Party, Pokemon XD, Geist ... you may say, wow that's plenty of support, but actually none of these games were made internally by Nintendo's main studios.

It's also curious that Miyamoto would not specify a platform for Pikmin 4 either. I do think it'll probably be a Wii U game, because it'll be cheap to just add content to the existing Pikmin 3 engine, but why not say it's for the Wii U if that is the case? That also makes me go "hmmm". 

Ya basically all of the EAD Groups (former EAD Groups) next projects should release in late 2016-2018, of course these titles are going to be for their next generation hardware. If Zelda U doesn't also release on NX than it will be 2020-2021 before it gets a Zelda, I don't think Nintendo wants to make a trend of Zelda releasing 4+ years after the hardware launches.

Mario Maker just released so it will likely be another 3 or so years before another 2D Mario releases, Splatoon/Happy Home Designer just released so it will be another 3 or so years before the Group that develops those titles has sequels out. Mario Kart released last year and that team had been pretty consistent about releasing a new MK every 3 years. Same with console 3D Mario releases, they are about every 3 years so a new one in late 2016 is possible, if that's for Wii U than NX won't have one until 2019/2020, that's way too late.

Retro released their last game in early 2014, a new game in 2017 seems likely. Intelligent Systems has released Codename STEAM, Stretchmo, Fire Emblem all in the last 6 months and has assisted on SMTxFE which releases in Japan in a few months so it's very unlikely we will see any major projects from them for another 2-3 years.

So it seems like basically all of Nintendo's major internal teams and subsidiaries should release their next major projects between late 2016-2018, if Nintendo is wise than these titles will be coming to NX.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Still kind of shows financially they don't HAVE to do anything. They could easily wait till 2017.

And Apple could wait until 2050 to release the next iPhone. That isn't how business operates. Particularily with this new president, share holders are going to want to see yearly results. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Dat truth make dem like 

Not that I really care to argue this point but Gibbongame's "translations" are often times inaccurate also because he's often live blogging from Nintendo Q/A events and quickly typing things and doesn't have the best grasp of the language either. 

The tweet he made about the Wii U hardware being profitable really ended up being that Iwata was saying they would not take a loss on Wii U units that fiscal year ... because they had so much unsold inventory that they would not have to manufacture new units for that existing fiscal year for example (which means the losses for those manufactured units were already accounted into the previous fiscal year). People did not understand that and thought it meant "Wii U is now profitable to manufacture!", when that's not what he said at all. If you want actual translations its better to read the actual fiscal reports that Nintendo provides at the year/quarter ends which have professionally translated versions of the Q/A and investor briefings. 

Again, Wii U still have same $299 launch price, even without this fact its logical that 2 years later hardware will be become profitable with same price, because on launch we know that Nintendo made profit with one console and just one sold game.

Either way you slice it, Nintendo will be fine till 2017. Kinda punches a GIANT hole in the "financially Nintendo needs to release the NX" thing.

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

And Apple could wait until 2050 to release the next iPhone. That isn't how business operates. Particularily with this new president, share holders are going to want to see yearly results. 

And with DeNA and Universal, do you not see them being happy? Pokemon is already making its way mobile, investers will be fine.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

And with DeNA and Universal, do you not see them being happy? Pokemon is already making its way mobile, investers will be fine.

Like I said we will see, but that "list" you made in the OP is not convincing at all, it's a bunch of outsourced projects. 

Ask yourself why Nintendo is not developing Star Fox with their actual EAD group but rather farmed it out to Platinum Games. Because the actual Nintendo big gun studios are working on NX projects, that's why. 

It's also curious again that Miyamoto doesn't mention what platform that Pikmin 4 game is for (not that that's even likely to be a big budget release). 

And why is it that Zelda can't be shown, when they showed it twice in 2014? Why the sudden radio silence? Which previous Zelda game had the exact same thing happen to it? It was Twilight Princess. 

Why is Square-Enix announcing games for the an still to be unvealed platform that's supposedly 2 1/2 years away from launch?

Where's Animal Crossing Wii U? A real one, not that farmed out (noticing a pattern here?) nd Cube board game. I'll tell you why. Because the Animal Crossing team is working on Animal Crossing NX, that's why. 

Maybe only in Japan sometime Nov or Dec.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
Eddie_Raja said:

True, but point is that Nintendo start to lose money before Wii U come out on market, and of course that they don't losing money after 2013. fiscal year.