By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Samus Aran said:
Soundwave said:

The Vita is a failure but the PS3 ... not really. If you sell 90 million of any hardware in this business, that means it was widely accepted by a huge user base. That's the 4th highest selling console in history. 

The fault for hardware losses lies solely on the upper management of Sony forcing Blu-Ray into the machine in order to win the video format war.

But Sony's bottom line performance in every console gen ... all they do it sell a lot of consoles. I mean when 90+ million is your freaking "down generation" that's saying a lot.

For sales they are the most consistent console seller by a country mile. No one else has consistently sold consoles like them ... Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft are all over the place generation to generation. 

if you lose money you failed, especially when you sold that many.

Making money is the sole reason these guys are in business.

Actually I think they start to make profit with PS3 around 2011, is that enough to make up for huge losses in previous years, really don't know. But whats funny to me is that Nintendo made more money than Sony even in PS2 era.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

Actually I think they start to make profit with PS3 around 2011, is that enough to make up for huge losses in previous years, really don't know. But whats funny to me is that Nintendo made more money than Sony even in PS2 era.

What happened with the original XBox? It looks like a money blender. Did they made any money furing the 6th gen?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Samus Aran said:
Soundwave said:

The Vita is a failure but the PS3 ... not really. If you sell 90 million of any hardware in this business, that means it was widely accepted by a huge user base. That's the 4th highest selling console in history. 

The fault for hardware losses lies solely on the upper management of Sony forcing Blu-Ray into the machine in order to win the video format war.

But Sony's bottom line performance in every console gen ... all they do it sell a lot of consoles. I mean when 90+ million is your freaking "down generation" that's saying a lot.

For sales they are the most consistent console seller by a country mile. No one else has consistently sold consoles like them ... Nintendo, Sega, Microsoft are all over the place generation to generation. 

if you lose money you failed, especially when you sold that many.

Making money is the sole reason these guys are in business.

Ken Kutaragi got fired for it, so there were consequences. 

That said, the market success of the PS3 is part and parcel what the PS4's current domination is built on. If they had just let the PS3 flounder and die because they were feeling sorry for themselves because things weren't going good in the early years there, they may never have recovered as a brand at all. 

Yes here they are, quite frankly kicking Nintendo and MS' ass yet again. Sony is not my favorite company, but I do have to hand to them in terms of consoles, they generally have their shit together more often than not. 100 million PS1s, 150 million PS2s, 90+ million PS3s, probably an easy 100+ million PS4s. Rock freaking solid in terms of retaining their audience. 

Blu-Ray was a very poor design choice so was Kutaragi's CELL chips, but after he'd made the two greatest selling game consoles of all time to that point, who was realistically going to step up and tell him "no". As long as Sony doesn't make a $600 console again, they are going to be very difficult for anyone to unseat. 

LivingMetal said:
"Knowing the big titles..." I at first though you said "Knowing the big TITTIES..." I had to do a double take.

No actually, there have been a few people that have told me this, lol. (My plan is complete, bwahahahaha.)

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

And Apple could wait until 2050 to release the next iPhone. That isn't how business operates. Particularily with this new president, share holders are going to want to see yearly results. 

And with DeNA and Universal, do you not see them being happy? Pokemon is already making its way mobile, investers will be fine.

Like I said we will see, but that "list" you made in the OP is not convincing at all, it's a bunch of outsourced projects. 

Ask yourself why Nintendo is not developing Star Fox with their actual EAD group but rather farmed it out to Platinum Games. Because the actual Nintendo big gun studios are working on NX projects, that's why. 

It's also curious again that Miyamoto doesn't mention what platform that Pikmin 4 game is for (not that that's even likely to be a big budget release). 

And why is it that Zelda can't be shown, when they showed it twice in 2014? Why the sudden radio silence? Which previous Zelda game had the exact same thing happen to it? It was Twilight Princess. 

Why is Square-Enix announcing games for the an still to be unvealed platform that's supposedly 2 1/2 years away from launch?

Where's Animal Crossing Wii U? A real one, not that farmed out (noticing a pattern here?) nd Cube board game. I'll tell you why. Because the Animal Crossing team is working on Animal Crossing NX, that's why. 

They are developing it, with Platinum Games.

https://www.facebook.com/NintendoConsoleGaming/posts/897445373656670 (Miyamoto clearly says "We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.")

Again, it's being made by both EPD and Platinum Games.

Why can't LoZ be shown?

They are adding new features to the game and want to build suspense. It'll probably be the last major franchise we get on the Wii U so they don't want to wear out its welcome.

Also, Skyward Sword also had something similar happen.... Where's my Skyward Sword Wii U?.... 

As for Square-Enix, they did post something and immediately took it down. Could it be it wil release a year after the other versions? Completely. How old was Deus Ex when we got the port? But hopefully they will announce some exclusive content, ect to build hype for the NX release. Not to mention a leak happened now. The game isn't supposed to come out until 2016 (and will likely get pushed back).

That's what I do have responses for. Why no Animal Crossing? No clue.

What about Pikmin 4? Could very well not release next year for the Wii U, Miyamoto just said it was nearing completion so it was the obvious choice. Then again how long has Xenoblade X been near completion, or LoZ Wii U? 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

And Apple could wait until 2050 to release the next iPhone. That isn't how business operates. Particularily with this new president, share holders are going to want to see yearly results. 

And with DeNA and Universal, do you not see them being happy? Pokemon is already making its way mobile, investers will be fine.

Like I said we will see, but that "list" you made in the OP is not convincing at all, it's a bunch of outsourced projects. 

Ask yourself why Nintendo is not developing Star Fox with their actual EAD group but rather farmed it out to Platinum Games. Because the actual Nintendo big gun studios are working on NX projects, that's why. 

It's also curious again that Miyamoto doesn't mention what platform that Pikmin 4 game is for (not that that's even likely to be a big budget release). 

And why is it that Zelda can't be shown, when they showed it twice in 2014? Why the sudden radio silence? Which previous Zelda game had the exact same thing happen to it? It was Twilight Princess. 

Why is Square-Enix announcing games for the an still to be unvealed platform that's supposedly 2 1/2 years away from launch?

Where's Animal Crossing Wii U? A real one, not that farmed out (noticing a pattern here?) nd Cube board game. I'll tell you why. Because the Animal Crossing team is working on Animal Crossing NX, that's why. 

They are developing it, with Platinum Games.

https://www.facebook.com/NintendoConsoleGaming/posts/897445373656670 (Miyamoto clearly says "We have been developing Star Fox Zero for Wii U with the aim of releasing it this year. Although we felt that the development had been progressing well, we now believe that we will need a little more time to work on areas such as the unprecedented discovery that we want players to experience in the game by using two screens, and further polishing the level designs and perfecting the tone of the cut scenes. While we have already reached the stage where it would be technically possible to release the title in time for the year-end holiday season, we want to polish the game a bit more so that players will be able to more smoothly grasp the new style of play that we are proposing.")

Again, it's being made by both EPD and Platinum Games.

Why can't LoZ be shown?

They are adding new features to the game and want to build suspense. It'll probably be the last major franchise we get on the Wii U so they don't want to wear out its welcome.

Also, Skyward Sword also had something similar happen.... Where's my Skyward Sword Wii U?.... 

As for Square-Enix, they did post something and immediately took it down. Could it be it wil release a year after the other versions? Completely. How old was Deus Ex when we got the port? But hopefully they will announce some exclusive content, ect to build hype for the NX release. Not to mention a leak happened now. The game isn't supposed to come out until 2016 (and will likely get pushed back).

That's what I do have responses for. Why no Animal Crossing? No clue.

What about Pikmin 4? Could very well not release next year for the Wii U, Miyamoto just said it was nearing completion so it was the obvious choice. Then again how long has Xenoblade X been near completion, or LoZ Wii U? 

So why can't EAD work on Star Fox themselves? Even last year Miyamoto was saying they needed to find a developer to make the game. He said that at last E3. Sure they're over seeing the development, but Platinum is one actually doing the grunt work of making the game itself. If EAD/EPD is sooooo commited to supporting the Wii U they can't spare even one team to make a Star Fox game for it. Yeah that doesn't seem fishy at all. 

Nintendo never stopped showing Skyward Sword or cancelled it being shown at an E3 event. Also alarm bells should be going off in your head when you start seeing most of these so-called "big" Wii U titles that you're mentioning are farmed out projects. 

Even from year end here on out

Animal Crossing Amiibo Party - ND Cube, not EAD as the main developer

Mario Tennis - Camelot

Pokken Fighters - Bandai Namco

SMT x Fire Emblem - Atlus

Star Fox Zero - Platinum Games

Sure, Nintendo is overseeing these games, but if you want a sign that Nintendo has moved on to new hardware, its when their software library begins to be made up largely of outsourced projects. That is the exact standard operating procedure for Nintendo when they are in actuality transitioning their main teams to a future platform. 

If there is a portable NX, and there certainly is because Nintendo is not going to abandon the only hardware line they have that actually sells for a damn, and even if you accept that could release in 2016 ... well you do realize they kinda have to make games for that too right? Those games don't magically appear out of nowhere because portable games are somehow "lesser" or something in some people's eyes. 

The 3DS basically killed all major Wii development and slowed even early Wii U development, take a wild guess what portable NX is going to do even if you're hell bent on the idea that they can't poissible, never, ever, no way release super duper console NX next year. 

Soundwave said:

The market has grown a lot since the NES so generation to generation comparisons going too far back are not really useful.

Here's around how big the market was with the cumulation of the top 3 consoles of each gen:

NES gen the market was around ----- 80M (79% NES)

SNES gen the market was around --- 100M (50% SNES)

PS1 gen the market was around ----- 145M (71% PS1)

PS2 gen the market was around ----- 200M (77% PS2)

Wii gen the market was around ------ 270M (31% PS3)

From the PS2 to the PS3 Sony had one of the largest gen to gen drops in console market share in history.  I think only Atari had a bigger drop from one gen to the next gen.

The PS3 sold a lot  (so too did the X360), but with the massive drop in market share and the massive monetary losses, the PS3 was not really consistent with its predecessors.

foxtail said:

Soundwave said:

The market has grown a lot since the NES so generation to generation comparisons going too far back are not really useful.

Here's around how big the market was with the cumulation of the top 3 consoles of each gen:

NES gen the market was around ----- 80M (79% NES)

SNES gen the market was around --- 100M (50% SNES)

PS1 gen the market was around ----- 145M (71% PS1)

PS2 gen the market was around ----- 200M (77% PS2)

Wii gen the market was around ------ 270M (31% PS3)

From the PS2 to the PS3 Sony had one of the largest gen to gen drops in console market share in history.  I think only Atari had a bigger drop from one gen to the next gen.

The PS3 sold a lot  (so too did the X360), but with the massive drop in market share and the massive monetary losses, the PS3 was not really consistent with its predecessors.

Just from a market appeal perspective though, I can tell you Microsoft, Nintendo, Sega, and Atari would *love* for 90+ million sold through to be a "bad generation". When you can sell that many systems even at your worst ... you are doing something right. 

Nintendo is barely going to get to 15 million Wii Us, Sega couldn't get past 10 million Saturns or Dreamcasts, Microsoft's lower end is 24 mill with the first XBox. 

i believe they will delay loz again in order to keep the nx versions release within 6 month of the wiiu version, assuming they bother with cross platform at all at this point.
Also calling star fox a big title is a bit much.

Tamron said:
i believe they will delay loz again in order to keep the nx versions release within 6 month of the wiiu version, assuming they bother with cross platform at all at this point.
Also calling star fox a big title is a bit much.

I will laugh I have to admit if they delay the Wii U until *after* the NX version. I still can't believe they did that to GameCube owners with Twilight Princess. 

No shits given whatsoever on Nintendo's part, lol.