By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Don’t use waterproof Xperia phones underwater

LurkerJ said:
Normchacho said:
Wait...have the advertised the X5 as being able to be used underwater? Or are those pictures of older Xperia phones, because that makes a big difference here.

Why does it matter? The warning is issued for all xperia devices, not just the new ones.

http://support.sonymobile.com/us/dm/waterproof/

Oh...then that's super dumb...anybody tried to get clarification on this?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
Nettles said:
Personally i wouldn't have risked it even before the warning, i would have taken it to mean that it is OK to use in light rain.Not good practise to show such advertisements and then make this statement though.

Light rain? I even use my iPhone in light rain and it isnot rated water resistant AT ALL. =D

Never had problems.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2llrkn/psa_sony_xperia_z3_is_not_waterproof/

https://www.google.com.eg/search?q=xperia+z+not+working+after+water&oq=xperia+not+working+after&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5099j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#

"My Z3 fell fate to water damage this year while taking underwater pics in the pool. Through a few escalated phone calls and threatening letter from an attorney. Tmobile eventually refunded me the water damage fee they charged me. Bottom line is that this is definitely a slippery slope for manufacturers. Its probably why Apple never went down this path. While there are water sensor flaps within the covered ports, its possible water could enter through a broken seal somewhere else over time. My Z3 has gotten really hot at various times, and I'm sure this probably lead to a failed seal somewhere."

"I did some underwater videos in the pool a year ago. This summer it was not successful at all. I swam with my phone in the pocket. Waiting for the new battery. I hope it will help me to bring it alive."

"I really like my Z3c, but I did the waterproof test while swimming on a lake. It failed. Luckily Sony replaced the phone without a comment. Just a few days ago. Feel like I am the reason for the new press release..."

"My xperia z2 had a problem when i took pictures under water, the touchscreen stopped working and after a while when i connected my phone it was restarting over and over, but i sent it to sony and they fixed it perfectly, they even fixed some scratches, i love sony for that !!!"

"This waterproofing is a gimmick, I took mine in the shower, and after coming out the shower the phone stopped working, found water inside the sim compartment and in the rear lens. its been a week now and its still not working. Please don't risk it, it's not worth it."

Under a minute of looking things up I found multiple people complaining that their phone died after submerging in water.

Just because you had no problems doesn't mean everyone else had the same experience.

Even the not so tech savvy crowd knows SONY phones are waterproof, because it's in every ad since the first Z. Please go ahead and continue defending them, thank god it's not Apple who is doing this, the response would've been different

LurkerJ said:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2llrkn/psa_sony_xperia_z3_is_not_waterproof/

https://www.google.com.eg/search?q=xperia+z+not+working+after+water&oq=xperia+not+working+after&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.5099j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#

"My Z3 fell fate to water damage this year while taking underwater pics in the pool. Through a few escalated phone calls and threatening letter from an attorney. Tmobile eventually refunded me the water damage fee they charged me. Bottom line is that this is definitely a slippery slope for manufacturers. Its probably why Apple never went down this path. While there are water sensor flaps within the covered ports, its possible water could enter through a broken seal somewhere else over time. My Z3 has gotten really hot at various times, and I'm sure this probably lead to a failed seal somewhere."

"I did some underwater videos in the pool a year ago. This summer it was not successful at all. I swam with my phone in the pocket. Waiting for the new battery. I hope it will help me to bring it alive."

"I really like my Z3c, but I did the waterproof test while swimming on a lake. It failed. Luckily Sony replaced the phone without a comment. Just a few days ago. Feel like I am the reason for the new press release..."

"My xperia z2 had a problem when i took pictures under water, the touchscreen stopped working and after a while when i connected my phone it was restarting over and over, but i sent it to sony and they fixed it perfectly, they even fixed some scratches, i love sony for that !!!"

"This waterproofing is a gimmick, I took mine in the shower, and after coming out the shower the phone stopped working, found water inside the sim compartment and in the rear lens. its been a week now and its still not working. Please don't risk it, it's not worth it."

Under a minute of looking things up I found multiple people complaining that their phone died after submerging in water.

Just because you had no problems doesn't mean everyone else had the same experience.

Even the not so tech savvy crowd knows SONY phones are waterproof, because it's in every ad since the first Z. Please go ahead and continue defending them, thank god it's not Apple who is doing this, the response would've been different

If it were Apple, people would have blamed themselves not the phones or the company and probably wrote letters of apology to apple for even considering to blame them lol 

Its sort of sad how people in here aren't taking this too seriously. False advertising is simply not on. Those pictures used is a clear indication of a company trying to out do its competitors and that is simply lying. Sorry but if this was MS, I am sure there would be a lot of hate mail right about now, But its Sony, who cares, the phones good regardless attitude is why Corps try to get away with this all the time.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Teeqoz said:
I know my friend does stuff like that with his Xperia all the time. It works, they just don't reccomend people to do it.

They advertised its ability to be underwater... but tell people not to do it?

You don't see an issue there?

Well car manufacturers can advertise their cars ability to protect you in a crash, and I'm sure they don't reccomend you go crashing your car

Of course I see the issue, I just pointed out that it does in fact work fine underwater... But..... They didn't tell people not to do it until very recently when they updated their website, so chances are they discovered some issue with the tech. What's more important here is to see if the commercials they used previously will be retracted.

EDIT: The new Z5 commercials don't showcase the waterproof ability (At least not from what my simple Youtube search could find)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC6UCbBSM7w

Teeqoz said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Teeqoz said:
I know my friend does stuff like that with his Xperia all the time. It works, they just don't reccomend people to do it.

They advertised its ability to be underwater... but tell people not to do it?

You don't see an issue there?

Well car manufacturers can advertise their cars ability to protect you in a crash, and I'm sure they don't reccomend you go crashing your car

Of course I see the issue, I just pointed out that it does in fact work fine underwater... But..... They didn't tell people not to do it until very recently when they updated their website, so chances are they discovered some issue with the tech. What's more important here is to see if the commercials they used previously will be retracted.

EDIT: The new Z5 commercials don't showcase the waterproof ability (At least not from what my simple Youtube search could find)

Yup, but the warning is issued for all Xperia phones, not just the latest ones: http://support.sonymobile.com/us/dm/waterproof/

It seems to me that SONY got drained replacing water-damaged phones and do not want to make it a prominent feature and focus on 4K and battery-life instead.

And to be fair, I also did a small search on galaxy S5 , another phone that was touted as waterproof, and I found TONS of complaints online from people who broke the phone by submerging it in water. No wonder Samsung dropped the feature with the S6 and its brothers.

LurkerJ said:
Teeqoz said:

Yup, but the warning is issued for all Xperia phones, not just the latest ones: http://support.sonymobile.com/us/dm/waterproof/

It seems to me that SONY got drained replacing water-damaged phones and do not want to make it a prominent feature and focus on 4K and battery-life instead.

I know, but as far as I know, commercials for those older models aren't airing anyway. I wanted to focus on the commercials airing now, because I think this was more of a "oh shit, some people have used their phones underwater and they broke, maybe we shouldn't advertize them with this ability" than it was a "lol, the phones shouldn't really be used underwater, but we'll advertize them with this ability anyway, trololol".

EDIT: I mean, the simple fact that they've replaced phones that broke after being submerged in water should be enough to show that this wasn't intentionally misleading marketing by Sony.

Azzanation said:
Its sort of sad how people in here aren't taking this too seriously. False advertising is simply not on. Those pictures used is a clear indication of a company trying to out do its competitors and that is simply lying. Sorry but if this was MS, I am sure there would be a lot of hate mail right about now, But its Sony, who cares, the phones good regardless attitude is why Corps try to get away with this all the time.

Really, dude? Really? Are you gonna ignore all the people, myself included, who said this is wrong? Or all the people who said they've been using their phones underwater for years and had  no issues? Why call double standards when there aren't any? Or do you think if that had happened with MS there wouldn't be some people defending MS?

another clickbait thread. like Teeqoz said what companys dont recomend doesnt mean it doesnt work