By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Americans and Non-Americans, What is Your Opinion on the United States of America in General

I love America, but it has its massive, massive flaws. Way too much religious freedom has set back the country a whole lot, and this is coming from a Roman Catholic. The system doesn't work, period. I feel it's made to benefit the 1% rather than for the rest of the people. Politics, like in the current place I live, barely does any benefit to society because of their close minded ideals. Companies try to benefit from making people unhealthy. The correctional system is a damn mess, where they focus on penalize and lock up offenders instead of rehabilitating them. And what about the health system, where something as beneficial for everyone as a socialized health system is being seen as a threat for some fat cats in the power. And don't get me started on education.

But not all is doom and gloom. I love many of the freedoms they (and we) have. I'm really amazed by it's beautiful countryside, be it a desert, plains or mountains. I love the monstrosities they can make with the food. I love America, even if it has some damaging flaws.

Around the Network

Lets see, simply put half the country is great and the other half isn't. Government wise it is really broken. Corporations have too much power, but really that's alright unless someone decide to collect the debts of the government or corporations that are playing it loose. Also people really like killing each other, so I rather not visit that much, but hey I doubt they want me in the country either, even if I am Agnostic Brown Colored Person.

PROS:
Awesome infrastructure
Cheap food
Awesome sports

CONS:
Gun issues - too entrenched in the culture
Medical costs are way to high
Poor work benefits for most jobs
Too many natural disasters/

(i.e. read an article about a woman who was sick for a week only and fell behind on rent, which in another country most likely would not happen)

kappie1977 said:
KungKras said:

Kosovo is a great example of that. A horrible genocide was prevented.

Kosovo is a great example of what is wrong with involvement of Europe and USA! Our countries (USA and most of the European countries) created Yuguslavia which was a disaster. We shouldn't want to create countries in areas where the culture between the groups is too big, this always turns out in to conflicts and the normal people in those countries are the ones who pay the bill! Ofcourse when the war broke out in the nineties we had to act and try to handle everything over there better as we (our countries) all looked the other way when the first problem started with Bosnia and because of that the total area was getting smaller and bigger groups which wanted to fight/eliminate each other! So like I said before, in my opinion all the casualties are a result of the involvement of the other countries. Ofcourse in that area didn't were on good terms with each other from around end of 19th cent and the WWI and II have increased the hate feeling between the countries.(which where put together). And there are more examples of this!

The USA didn't create Yugoslavia. It formed when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires broke up. The region is fucked up because of nationalism and the inability to draw clear borders because people intermingled so much when the area was occupied by the Ottomans.

USA didn't fuck up that region. It did however step in and prevent the Serbians from killing a lot of Albanians and Bulgarians.

Intervention isn't always bad. But you have to be smart and know when to intervene, and not be guided by defence industry money interests.

I LOVE ICELAND!

I live in 'merica,f*** yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

(i.e. read an article about a woman who was sick for a week only and fell behind on rent, which in another country most likely would not happen)

While this has been true in the past, it has gotten a lot better over time. My last job at Ikea (which I know is foreign, but American places are matching it due to labor shortages) gave me both PTO (Paid Time Off) and PST (Paid Sick Time) and I was seasonal and part time (30 hours per week) making $9/hr. Within two months of working there I accrued 40 hours of PTO and had six sick days that I could use throughout the year (which I didn't use upon leaving.) Sure, it isn't like the benefits in other countries, but the work mentality in the U.S is different from a cultural perspective and we prioritize different things (cheaper prices on goods for example.)

As far as I know from having been to New York and following the media. Your political system is absolute shite and people pay an almost religious respect to the constitution, which is in no way groundbreaking. And the same goes for some of the founding fathers who weren't all heros and President Washington who was only a great man in military experience.

sc94597 said:
Cobretti2 said:

While this has been true in the past, it has gotten a lot better over time. My last job at Ikea (which I know is foreign, but American places are matching it due to labor shortages) gave me both PTO (Paid Time Off) and PST (Paid Sick Time) and I was seasonal and part time (30 hours per week) making $9/hr. Within two months of working there I accrued 40 hours of PTO and had six sick days that I could use throughout the year (which I didn't use upon leaving.) Sure, it isn't like the benefits in other countries, but the work mentality in the U.S is different from a cultural perspective and we prioritize different things (cheaper prices on goods for example.)

well that is good to hear. I don't think any person who is a hard working person does not deserve to have sick time off.  if it is genuine. 

one a side note my old employeer had unlimited sick days and there were people who had serious illness or injury who had been off work for two years.

my current employeer you have to accumulate. I htink I gotu about 9weeks worth of sick leave saved up.

KungKras said:
kappie1977 said:
KungKras said:

Kosovo is a great example of that. A horrible genocide was prevented.

Kosovo is a great example of what is wrong with involvement of Europe and USA! Our countries (USA and most of the European countries) created Yuguslavia which was a disaster. We shouldn't want to create countries in areas where the culture between the groups is too big, this always turns out in to conflicts and the normal people in those countries are the ones who pay the bill! Ofcourse when the war broke out in the nineties we had to act and try to handle everything over there better as we (our countries) all looked the other way when the first problem started with Bosnia and because of that the total area was getting smaller and bigger groups which wanted to fight/eliminate each other! So like I said before, in my opinion all the casualties are a result of the involvement of the other countries. Ofcourse in that area didn't were on good terms with each other from around end of 19th cent and the WWI and II have increased the hate feeling between the countries.(which where put together). And there are more examples of this!

The USA didn't create Yugoslavia. It formed when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman empires broke up. The region is fucked up because of nationalism and the inability to draw clear borders because people intermingled so much when the area was occupied by the Ottomans.

USA didn't fuck up that region. It did however step in and prevent the Serbians from killing a lot of Albanians and Bulgarians.

Intervention isn't always bad. But you have to be smart and know when to intervene, and not be guided by defence industry money interests.

Sorry maybe I didn't qouted correctly, but as the previsous mentioned Kosovo. I ment to say that it wasn't good Yuguslavia was created.  USA and a lot of European countries helped the Nationalistic people in that region to create this!  But in reality there was already so much hate between the several parts in that region it was sure this would go wrong! Furthermore USA had to do an intervention as part of NATO in that region, but the only reason/interest they had (which gave approval internally ) is to not let the Sovjet/Russia influence get into that region. As USA always has been scared for Russia expanding their wings and influence in the world! My point is that in most of the interventions of the USA (but also a big part of the other NATO countries) is done after creating a bad situation! And again not only the USA but many NATO countries have helped USA to create the bad situations and when it became clear that they haven't got the President/Dictator under controll anymore they try to do a intervention. And as I said, many countries incl. USA only tries to get approval from their people by creating the image that they do the intervention for the people of that country but in reality it's really a complete different thing the country/govnerment want to gain out of a conflict/intervention. Anyway, I still like most of the people living in the USA, but I'm scared of their govnerments urge to have more power and influence in the world.(especially in countries with rich natural resources)