By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

LudicrousSpeed said:
Abun said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Well, he's worked on games on these platforms, a vast majority of us haven't, so... We're kind of out of our league.

But hey look at Titanfall. Respawn didn't know what game they were making or what platform it would end up on so to be safe they wanted to include PS3 and as a result had to go with an old engine because it would make the PS3 side easier. So that tells me this guy is probably on to something.

The problem was that devs needed to actually put effort into building games for the PS3 and he was too lazy or lacked the skill to do it.They could not easily just port the game over to the PS3 so they cried about actually needing to do their job.The bold does not make sense,since other developers (mostly exclusive) had no issue.Sega,Kojima,Namco,Capcom,Square and companies like NIS and Atlus had no complaints.EA does not make quality games anyway and their game engines are average at best.BF Hardline was very rough around the edges as was NFS compared to other games.

Yeah sorry, guy actually working on games for all platforms >>>>>> random guy on the Internet.

Also, no shit exclusive developers would have less of an issue or none at all, lol. If only most games released were platform exclusives.

What guy from the random internet? Did you miss where I named companies who never had a problem? I guess Kojima was wrong when he said the complete opposite while developing MGS4,which was better than EA's entire catalogue.lol you just ignored everything I said because I killed your argument.Also Square worked more on the Xbox 360 than the PS3,but had no issue making FF13 which was only good technically.

Around the Network
Abun said:
walsufnir said:

How is Frostbite a mess?

Have you played BF Hardline? That engine is weak.

Yeah, as we can see with Star Wars Battlefront or the new Need for Speed.

Abun said:

What guy from the random internet? Did you miss where I named companies who never had a problem? I guess Kojima was wrong when he said the complete opposite while developing MGS4,which was better than EA's entire catalogue.lol you just ignored everythign I said because I killed your argument.Also Square worked more on the Xbox 360 than the PS3,but had no issue making FF13 which was only good technically.

You are the random guy from the Internet.

And I could pull tons of comments from lots of developers regarding the shitty state that was making PS3 games. Also, MGS4 was garbage. Hot, stinky garbage. See how opinions work? It was also an exclusive game :)

Also, I didn't ignore anything. There's simply no need to respond to silly emotional name calling against the dev, or irrelevant stuff about companies you admit mostly made exclusive games.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Abun said:

What guy from the random internet? Did you miss where I named companies who never had a problem? I guess Kojima was wrong when he said the complete opposite while developing MGS4,which was better than EA's entire catalogue.lol you just ignored everythign I said because I killed your argument.Also Square worked more on the Xbox 360 than the PS3,but had no issue making FF13 which was only good technically.

And I could pull tons of comments from lots of developers regarding the shitty state that was making PS3 games. Also, MGS4 was garbage. Hot, stinky garbage. See how opinions work? It was also an exclusive game :)

Also, I didn't ignore anything. There's simply no need to respond to silly emotional name calling against the dev, or irrelevant stuff about companies you admit mostly made exclusive games.

Your argument is based off what this guy says and I am giving you examples of other developers who have worked on multiple platforms.Most of the developers who complained are not even good developers and that is a fact.I could careless about your opinion on MGS4,I am just using your weak logic against you since you think this guy knows so much because he worked on the console,but ignore other devs I mentioned who praised it and never had an issue with development,That is where you lack logic and have a double standard.He struggled,but others didn't which is my point and he sounded emotional using the word "retarded" so spare me.

End/

Abun said:

1) Your argument is based off what this guy says and I am giving you examples of other developers who have worked on multiple platforms.

Most of the developers who complained are not even good developers and that is a fact.

2) I could careless about your opinion on MGS4,I am just using your weak logic against you since you think this guy knows so much because he worked on the console,but ignore other devs I mentioned who praised it and never had an issue with development,

3) That is where you lack logic and have a double standard.He struggled,but others didn't which is my point and

4) he sounded emotional using the word "retarded" so spare me.

End/

1) The examples you listed, you said that they didn't complain, but that doesn't mean they didn't find it hard. Those companies you mentioned are Japanese and Japanese companies rarely get into those flamming comments like criticizing a company they work for. I mean, maybe it was easy for them to develop games for PS3 but if they don't say it the situation remains a question mark. If you could provide links with those companies saying developing for the PS3 was a breeze you could be totally right. A third party dev complaining about the PS3 is as valid as a third party dev saying it wasn't hard. When I say you could quote devs saying PS3 development wasn't difficult I say so without knowing whether such statements were said last gen, I honestly don't remember.

2) Metal Gear Solid 4 is game of the forever! :D

3) Remit to #1. You named Kojima but that was an exclusive like the guy above said. If it was a simultanious game being developed for other platforms and Kojima saying that, in comparison, PS3 development wasn't that hard, then his comment could be brought to argument.

4) The word "retarded" was used in this context to refer to "slowing down", instead of an insult.

I like that this dev said that PS3 complicated architecture slowed down the industry because that recognizes how vital it is for Sony to make things smooth in order to influence positively the whole industry. ;)

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
Abun said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Abun said:

Your argument is based off what this guy says and I am giving you examples of other developers who have worked on multiple platforms.Most of the developers who complained are not even good developers and that is a fact.I could careless about your opinion on MGS4,I am just using your weak logic against you since you think this guy knows so much because he worked on the console,but ignore other devs I mentioned who praised it and never had an issue with development,That is where you lack logic and have a double standard.He struggled,but others didn't which is my point and he sounded emotional using the word "retarded" so spare me.

End/

Just gonna stop reading at the bolded. I am not basing it off what this guy says, I'm basing it off what this guy says and the example of other devs that I used in my first post. Hope that helps.

Mr Puggsly said:
Imaginedvl said:
ethomaz said:
After the mess the Frostbite was on PS4/Xbone/PC I have to disagree... they didn't know what they are talking about

Quite an analysis here...

OP: Nobody can really argue that the Cell was over complicated for nothing. Even Sony dropped it after all.
I would say that it did not help the industry at least and for some dev. studio it was effectively a pain in the ass (or add. costs)

I remember seeing an article where Ubisoft claimed the PS3 processor is actually more capable than the PS4 processor. So why didn't Sony just use it for PS4? That could have made PS3 BC on PS4 relatively easy as well!

Well I'm guessing because Sony agreed the Cell was a pain in the ass and not worth using again.

PS2 had weird instruction issue on both (CPU/GPU) side. This made porting the game to another console very difficult, and was done intentionally. Developer really don't have a choice on which console and/or hardware they have to work for. Those who funds the project makes the decision.

For Cell, Sony probably didn't wanted to spend money for developing newer version of architecture. They have to update Cell with current processing technology (~20nm) and they have to redesign front-end to utilize GDDR5. (Otherwise, they are stuck with Rambus Ram, or DDR2.)

Also, appeasing to developers includes supporting Out of Order execution.

Of course it was overly complicated, and it was a stupid design choice, but to say it significantly held back the industry? Hyperbole.

Kagerow said:
PS2 had weird instruction issue on both (CPU/GPU) side. This made porting the game to another console very difficult, and was done intentionally. Developer really don't have a choice on which console and/or hardware they have to work for. Those who funds the project makes the decision.

For Cell, Sony probably didn't wanted to spend money for developing newer version of architecture. They have to update Cell with current processing technology (~20nm) and they have to redesign front-end to utilize GDDR5. (Otherwise, they are stuck with Rambus Ram, or DDR2.)

Also, appeasing to developers includes supporting Out of Order execution.

I hear ya, but I still think GPU was the primary issue given its limitations. Many games designed for PS2 came to Gamecube and Xbox, they often looked like PS2 games as well.

It evident developers did not like working with the Cell, so that alone is a good reason to move away from it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

That's why 360 had all the technically superior exclusives.. Right?

Cell was a bad idea and Sony paid the price but these guys are blowing it way out of proportion. nd mastered the cell after their first game and making the switch to PS4 hasn't been half arsed in anyway uncharted 4 is the most impressive game we've seen.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'