By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - What would you do if The Force Awakens is worse than the prequels?

What would you do if The Force Awakens is worse than the prequels?

Cry. 45 13.27%

Not care. 117 34.51%

Get Angry. 36 10.62%

Be Sad. 95 28.02%

See Results. 46 13.57%

Total:339

The prequel trilogy was terrible due to all the plot holes and contradictions that were made.
In the original trilogy when Luke Skywalker is in a memorable conversation with Princess Leia, the exchange goes as follows:

Luke: Leia, do you remember your mother, your real mother?

Leia: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.

Luke: What do you remember?

Leia: Just images really, feelings.

Luke: Tell me.

Leia: She was, very beautiful, kind, but sad. Why are you asking me this?

Yet in the prequel trilogy their mother dies giving birth to them. It would be impossible for either child to have any memories of her. This is not the only flaw that was created by the prequel trilogy, the list goes on and on.

If episode VII ignores the prequel trilogy and stays true to the original trilogy I will have no problems whatsoever. Even if it causes contradictions with the prequel trilogy, as long as it stays to the original it does not matter. The prequel trilogy should be buried.

I am glad that episode VII will have more practical effects. The prequel trilogy had too much forced CGI. Also the lack of space battles in the prequel trilogy really grinded my gears. Especially when Obi-Wan Kenobi tells Luke in the original trilogy that Luke's dad was the best pilot in the galaxy, yet the prequel trilogy barely elaborated on this. It was such a missed opportunity, especially seeing as the space battles would have been one of the few instances that would have warranted the use of CGI, however this was barely tapped into.

I am optimistic towards the new movie. J.J Abrams seems to know what he is doing.

Around the Network
XanderXT said:

The CGI cartoon isn't expanded universe. And do you think I like everything about the EU? NO. I liked the ones like Knights of the Old Republic, Death Troopers, and Bounty Hunter. The Clone Wars is terrible when compared to those. I also don't like the  premise of the new movie, because it seems horrible when compared to the some of the stuff the EU had.

Clone Wars was made before the sale to Disney. It was absolutely part of the Expanded Universe. Unless you mean it was 'above' the EU in terms of canon because it was officially sanctioned by GL... but it doesn't really matter what you call it, the point is that it was canon then and it's canon now.

So you like three things out of the literally thousands of stories told in the EU, and you're upset that the "premise" of the new movie (maybe you've read some leaks or something, because my mom asked me what the movie is about yesterday and I found myself entirely unable to answer the question) is horrible compared to "some" of the stuff in the EU.

Nope, still haven't heard any actual justification for the skepticism. If you could single out an import part of the premise and explain why you think it's horrible and exactly what part of the EU was better than that and why it's so much better that it's worth also accepting the piles of EU garbage that come with it rather than enjoying a new movie, then I may have something to consider. Without spoiling anything in Ep7 that hasn't been officially revealed already, of course. Leaks are cheating, especially since they might not even be true.

I'd get ready for Hateful 8

I am Iron Man

Cobretti2 said:
what was so bad about the prequels? i hear lots of people say it but never justify it lol.

I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I thought the prequels were bad for a number of reasons. The excuse they come up with for Anakin to become a bad guy is laughably awful, the dialogue is incredibly cheesy, most of the characters are either bland or extremely unlikeable (Jar Jar being the primary example), they spend way too much time trying to invest us in Star Wars politics or Jedi midichlorian BS, characters make some extremely boneheaded moves for seemingly no other reason than that the plot can be advanced towards us having Darth Vader and a Galactic Empire, and for the amount of time they put into trying to build a romance between Anakin and Padme, it falls far short.

In summary, it just doesn't do anything particularly well, other than some cool CGI fights. While I'm all for explaining things and expanding the universe, every explanation for how things got to be the way they are when episode 4 roles around is so awful I'd rather just have the mystery.

O/T: I'd probably laugh and not be all that surprised. TBH, I think I'd be more surprised if it turned out to be good rather than bad.

Since "see results" is more or less the same as not caring it looks like almost a majority of people aren't terribly fussed.

For myself my reaction would be "pretty much as I thought it would be" if this upcoming movie ends up worse then the prequels. I will be quite surprised if this movie is as well regarded as the originals.

My personal view is Star Wars~Empire Strikes back>The Clone Wars animated TV series>Return of the Jedi>the prequels.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
what was so bad about the prequels? i hear lots of people say it but never justify it lol.

Midichlorians. 'nuff said.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Cobretti2 said:

Here's the first of a series of videos that explain why The Phantom Menace was bad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

I recommend you start there.

leyendax69 said:
Cobretti2 said:

A lot of people says it's bad because of Anakin's actor doing a poor performance. I personally enjoyed the prequels more, but that could be because I'm young. I'm not going to lie, I agree with the OP, don't like the premise of the new film either but we will see how it ends up

It had a lot of plot holes, from what I remember of it.

the_dengle said:
XanderXT said:

The CGI cartoon isn't expanded universe. And do you think I like everything about the EU? NO. I liked the ones like Knights of the Old Republic, Death Troopers, and Bounty Hunter. The Clone Wars is terrible when compared to those. I also don't like the  premise of the new movie, because it seems horrible when compared to the some of the stuff the EU had.

Clone Wars was made before the sale to Disney. It was absolutely part of the Expanded Universe. Unless you mean it was 'above' the EU in terms of canon because it was officially sanctioned by GL... but it doesn't really matter what you call it, the point is that it was canon then and it's canon now.

So you like three things out of the literally thousands of stories told in the EU, and you're upset that the "premise" of the new movie (maybe you've read some leaks or something, because my mom asked me what the movie is about yesterday and I found myself entirely unable to answer the question) is horrible compared to "some" of the stuff in the EU.

Nope, still haven't heard any actual justification for the skepticism. If you could single out an import part of the premise and explain why you think it's horrible and exactly what part of the EU was better than that and why it's so much better that it's worth also accepting the piles of EU garbage that come with it rather than enjoying a new movie, then I may have something to consider. Without spoiling anything in Ep7 that hasn't been officially revealed already, of course. Leaks are cheating, especially since they might not even be true.

Why do I need to explain it to you? It won't change your mind on the subject.

I love the Prequels XD I found Attack of the Clones boring, but that was it. I never understood the hate for the Prequels, it's completely overblown and almost a joke in itself at this point. The OG Trilogy wasn't even close to perfect, I love them but I'm not going to pretend they're this goldmine of cinema perfection. The Prequels have a different feeling but that doesn't justify the hate, SW fans are kinda like the FF fans of the movie world

Anyway, 7 should be fine.