By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "Naughty Dog's greed is out of control"

DakonBlackblade said:
The real question here is why do ppl buy this ? If everyone is against it, dont buy it and them theyll stop doing it, but everyone buys it so they keep doing it. Its not rocket science.

It's known as the silent majority.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Seriously? 99% of this stuff has zero effect on gameplay. It's all mostly for show. Naughty Dog only does because a lot of people buy it. Don't blame them because they make such amazing games that are popular.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Tachikoma said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
It's ok when Naughty Dog does it. UC4 will still get 95%+ on metacritic even though every other developer would get slammed for this.

What score would Super Mario Maker have gotten if it had micro-transactions to purchase additional enemies, power-ups, etc.?

If that is all you have to add here, then just leave the thread.

The reactions in this thread more than prove my statement.

But hey, enjoy that hat bundle at $7.

Weren't you upset that co-op was locked behind a $15 amiibo in Shovel Knight? I guess pay-to-win online multiplayer is better?

An entire game mode for $15 that affects gameplay versus cosmetic hat packs for $7, that don't affect gameplay.

Hmm let me see..

Yeah, everyone just loves that co-op in 2D platformers (it affects gameplay for the worst btw). Better perks and weapons ruin the online for people who don't want to pay for it. So it's ten times worse. Adding a co-op mode doesn't ruin the experience for other people who don't buy it. But yeah, as far as amiibo unlocked content goes, it's garbage.

Also, at least you get a cool looking figurine for that $15.

Not that I would buy anything SK related mind you.

$7 for a couple of hats is just crazy expensive when I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy for $10.

fireburn95 said:

I never understand that, what dev has ever evidently cut content from a game and sold it as dlc?

Assassin's Creed 2 (or one of its sequels, cannot remember exactly) cut two chapters from the main game and sold them as DLC. So in the main game you go from chapter 11 directly to chapter 14, and can purchase chapters 12 and 13 separately.

Ill agree with the OP in that theres something inherently offensive about the idea of essentially paying for the game twice by getting a season pass and still not receiving the DLC, some of which affects actual gameplay.

I really don't always mind the giant list of dlc. For instance, a couple of my favorite franchises (Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings) release a ton of DLC, which keeps people employed between large projects and can enhance the experience. The difference, of course, is they're almost entirely aesthetics and soundtracks (outside of expansions) and they don't have a "season pass". The expansions, meanwhile, are priced according to how substantial they are, and most of the core changes within them are made available whether they purchase it or not to everyone via patches to allow multiplayer between all players.

I suppose everyone has their own line that dlc should not cross... I don't mind it as, again, it can add a lot for those who want it (I get everything Paradox makes lol) and it does allow otherwise superfluous employees in between major projects to continue to work.

This Naughty Dog example, though, is perhaps the worst I've yet come across. The very idea of the "season pass" offends the hell out of me as I inreasingly find many modern games and shooters are a $100+ investment to play online (looking at you, CoD, Battlefield, and soon to be Battlefront), but that you'd still not get the DLC they release in the meantime? That's absurd.

Around the Network

That's very naughty of Naughty Dog. They should be more than a little bit ashamed about this, it cheapens them considerably, and they are a highly regarded studio. Reading the original post, makes me feel they are overrated. Certainly not Naughty "gods" as some people call them, not with this amount of microtransaction stupidity.

Yea, i bought the season pass for Uncharted 3 and then all of this other stuff showed up after. I think one of the only time i got a season pass and then figured out that it doesn't mean all the digital ad-ons.

I didn't even know about all this lol. I mostly just play the single player in ND games but spend a little time on the MP. As long as the DLC doesn't give anyone an advantage then I'm ok with it.

Burek said:
fireburn95 said:

I never understand that, what dev has ever evidently cut content from a game and sold it as dlc?

Assassin's Creed 2 (or one of its sequels, cannot remember exactly) cut two chapters from the main game and sold them as DLC. So in the main game you go from chapter 11 directly to chapter 14, and can purchase chapters 12 and 13 separately.

Capcom did it on a few games last gen too didn't they? That really stoked the controversy.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

DerNebel said:
Mirson said:

For those saying ND release complete games, they announced single-player DLC for U4 six months before release. It's a shame they're turning out like the others.

They announced the TLOU single player DLC before launch of the game as well, albeit not as early. They are just giving people info on what the season pass will include early, cause they've been burned on that front. I really wouldn't worry about that part.

To be fair, the fans were burned BY ND. As is my understanding, they followed up the season pass right after the PS4 version launched by releasing more premium, non-microtransaction content that WASN'T included in the pass. The only other company that did this was WB/Netherrealm, who are known for being scammy as all hell. Not very good company. 

So on one front maybe they're trying to make sure they gain the trust back from fans they burned. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!