By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most divisive video game among fans?

Dusk said:
pokoko said:

You know, I really don't understand that.  The game was basically FF7.  It really should be one of the least divisive Final Fantasy games ever made.  They both had convoluted and nonsensical story-lines, unlikable main characters, and the heavy emphasis on style that FF7 first brought to the series.  FF8 just looked a whole lot better.

While I agree that both are crap characters, the games don't play the same, and 8 is instantly unnecessarily craptastic on the character front. They likely did this because 7 was such a hit, but for me, Cloud is by far one of the worst parts of the game and is another reason to keep it from being the best.

I actually think that many enjoy 7 so much because it was the introduction to the series since it is still the best selling FF game on a single console. It played simplistic enough that it opened to a wide audience, the steam punk style was new and interesting, plus the FMV in it was mind blowing at the time. All points that helped it reach a larger audience. It's amazing how things from the past often seem better than they actually were. This will likely be recognised with the new updated version of 7 coming up.

I'm not going to argue most of what you said.  Personally, I think FF7 is a lot less inspiring than people remember and I believe it marked a down-turn in the series, where visuals and style became more important than substance.  I liked it but I also believe that FF6 is a superior game by far.  Rather, my point is that I don't understand how someone could have loved FF7 and hated FF8.  Like one or the other a lot more, sure, but they are very much in the same mold.

Around the Network
pokoko said:

I'm not going to argue most of what you said.  Personally, I think FF7 is a lot less inspiring than people remember and I believe it marked a down-turn in the series, where visuals and style became more important than substance.  I liked it but I also believe that FF6 is a superior game by far.  Rather, my point is that I don't understand how someone could have loved FF7 and hated FF8.  Like one or the other a lot more, sure, but they are very much in the same mold.

I agree that VI was superior, but it was from the previous generation. Among the 32/64 bit era RPGs, VII was the king.  I can also feel the downturn in the series but, in the case of FFVII, I would call it the perfect banlance. It is, after all, a game that started development under Nintendo and was ended under Sony. Because of that, it had the amazingly fun gameplay of a Nintendo game with the great spectacle of a Sony game. It was a game trapped between two philosophies,  and it shared the best of both worlds.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

160rmf said:
Michelasso said:
FF XIII. A small loud minority pretends to speak for everybody else who actually enjoyed the game.

If they actually enjoyed, why they didn't continued the series, buying the XIII-2 and lightning returns?

Shit, I don't know. Why didn't everyone go berserk when Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus released? 

The shit XIII gets is ridiculous. I'm playing IX right now and that game feels like a play (no, not saying that because it's a recurring theme of the game, I'm saying that because a lot of what's going in the game is just scripted stuff and your input barely matter).  

Skyward Sword and FF13.

I wouldn't say SS. To me, divisive means pretty equal on both sides, and SS has a lot more not liking it than liking it.

I'd say Metroid Fusion.

Around the Network

I never understood the hate FF13 gets since I never played. All I know is that the story looks confusing. Anyone mind explaining whats the "problem" everyone has with it?

HandofPrometheus said:
I never understood the hate FF13 gets since I never played. All I know is that the story looks confusing. Anyone mind explaining whats the "problem" everyone has with it?

From what I see the two major aspect is the tricky story and the autonomous gameplay.

The story is really convulated. An issue I had with the game is that you had to check it's in-game encyclopedia to even get an idea of half the things they're talking about. From my experience, especially by the end, there's so many things being thrown at you that I couldn't even follow what was happening. That said, I just played FF VII for the first time and I also felt like a lot of things just passed me because of how overwhelming some parts were (most notably Cloud's past/ordeal).

Second issue is that many players feel like the game is a railway. Part of it is because of the combat system, which basically puts your characters in "settings" (they heal, defend, attack or what have you) and you just need to target whatever opponent you have. Honestly, it's pretty hard to explain, but I find the combat system to be awesome as it allows you to watch really awesome visuals and you end up shifting your character's role at every turn on harder battles, leading to some really cool fights. The level designs of most places don't really have large dungeons to explore, but then again, a lot of FF games have linear paths and scripted sequences, more than a lot of fans are actually willing to admit.

My two cents though.

Zelda: Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario ( Sticker Star is hated by everyone), Other M, Resident Evil 5 and Mario Sunshine are the games that I can think of right now.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I would say Fire Emblem Awakening.

A lot of people love it and consider it a masterpiece, and others (like me) hate it because it hardly deserves to be called a Fire Emblem game compared to the amazing previous game in the series, Radiant Dawn. Awakening is just bad compared to it.

(The Tomb Raider reboot is also controversial IMO...)

MGS4! I've been a Metal Gear fan since the NES and I love every game in the series.... except 4. In my opinion, it's not just a bad Metal Gear, it's a bad game, period! And you get tons and tons of people feeling it's "it's the best game, ever!" "11/10".

Maybe not the most devisive but for me, it is definitely frustrating. Like I'm the only one who sees the truth or something.