By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo Foolish for Focusing on Innovation?

archer9234 said:
97alexk said:
AEGRO said:
97alexk said:

When Nintendo decides to be less innovative, thats the time when i give up on gaming, because innovation is the only thing that will bring something to the next level, Good innovations dont always sell that well, because of confusion and marketing, doesnt mean its bad. You people are too caught up with it supposedly being to sell good you didnt realize what the Wii U means, for the gaming industry. and nintendo as a whole. People love to just randomly hate on things. Im not attacking you, but this thread is at the bottom of worthless threads. Sorry, but seriously, BEING DUMB FOR TRYING TO INNOVATE?? WOW

People have the misconception that innovate means a silly tablet controller or a move wand.

We eat with a knive and a fork, does anybody feel the need that this tools have to be improved or something? They just work.

The majority of the people like regular controllers.

They have to be innovative with their games, not the hardware.

Using a fork and spoon was a bad comparison, because you dont need too much for it uses, but in an entertainment industry, you always have to bring out new things. I also prefer regular controllers, but i love when once in a while some crazy new comes out, wich in many peoples eyes is innovative: Nintendo have and still are incredibly innovative with their games. Aswell as their second party studios. Innovating hardware can lead to innovative games, thats how it works. All those innovative Wii U games, wich are fantastic have some use from the gamepad wich makes them unique and innovative, like ZOMBIU, without the gamepad zombiU feels like a bunch of nothing. Not all Wii U games have had a great use of the gamepad, but some have made it work. Look at Wii Sports, their controller was innovative, like nothing you seen before, and it sold million just because of the innovation.

No. It can be a good example. Anything can be screwed up by trying to change it. Say a spoon has a added suction motor to it. To prevent the liquid from falling out. This adds weight, batteries, and noise. Than has to be cleaned a certain way. Is it worth it for no spills? That's where gimmick and inovation meet. Does it compromise the use/enjoyment from the user. While it changes something. That's why infomerical products are usually hated.

Nintendo's TVii app could of been inovative. Except it was slow. Poorly designed. And we already have other options avaible that are better. So it became a gimmick and eventually removed. if I can turn on my cable box in the same time. or faster than the app can load the info. It's not good.

There are bad innovations ofc, but every innovation is a step forward, you cant know if you havent tried, you can speculate and have theories on how and if its gonna work, sometimes they dont work, and alot of times they also do. innovation is good, very good. Dont believe people who say anything differently, because going forward and trying out new things, taking risks, even though it might not sell good, even though consumer dont like it, its good when something new comes up. Because thats how we learn and develop and thats how we know, what things to innovate, You dont have too innovate a spoon and fork because its already good, theres not a single set ''original controller'' of how a controller should look like and be like. You think maybe playstation is the optimal? some say the xbox, and some say the NES controller is the best one, every one thinks differently, just because alot of people like standard controllers so they can easily play call of duty, doesnt mean it should be like that all the time. An entertainment industry is much different that a fork and a spoon my friend xD

Around the Network
97alexk said:
archer9234 said:
97alexk said:
AEGRO said:
97alexk said:

When Nintendo decides to be less innovative, thats the time when i give up on gaming, because innovation is the only thing that will bring something to the next level, Good innovations dont always sell that well, because of confusion and marketing, doesnt mean its bad. You people are too caught up with it supposedly being to sell good you didnt realize what the Wii U means, for the gaming industry. and nintendo as a whole. People love to just randomly hate on things. Im not attacking you, but this thread is at the bottom of worthless threads. Sorry, but seriously, BEING DUMB FOR TRYING TO INNOVATE?? WOW

People have the misconception that innovate means a silly tablet controller or a move wand.

We eat with a knive and a fork, does anybody feel the need that this tools have to be improved or something? They just work.

Using a fork and spoon was a bad comparison, because you dont need too much for it uses, but in an entertainment industry, you always have to bring out new things. I also prefer regular controllers, but i love when once in a while some crazy new comes out, wich in many peoples eyes is innovative: Nintendo have and still are incredibly innovative with their games. Aswell as their second party studios. Innovating hardware can lead to innovative games, thats how it works. All those innovative Wii U games, wich are fantastic have some use from the gamepad wich makes them unique and innovative, like ZOMBIU, without the gamepad zombiU feels like a bunch of nothing. Not all Wii U games have had a great use of the gamepad, but some have made it work. Look at Wii Sports, their controller was innovative, like nothing you seen before, and it sold million just because of the innovation.

No. It can be a good example. Anything can be screwed up by trying to change it. Say a spoon has a added suction motor to it. To prevent the liquid from falling out. This adds weight, batteries, and noise. Than has to be cleaned a certain way. Is it worth it for no spills? That's where gimmick and inovation meet. Does it compromise the use/enjoyment from the user. While it changes something. That's why infomerical products are usually hated.

Nintendo's TVii app could of been inovative. Except it was slow. Poorly designed. And we already have other options avaible that are better. So it became a gimmick and eventually removed. if I can turn on my cable box in the same time. or faster than the app can load the info. It's not good.

There are bad innovations ofc, but every innovation is a step forward, you cant know if you havent tried, you can speculate and have theories on how and if its gonna work, sometimes they dont work, and alot of times they also do. innovation is good, very good. Dont believe people who say anything differently, because going forward and trying out new things, taking risks, even though it might not sell good, even though consumer dont like it, its good when something new comes up. Because thats how we learn and develop and thats how we know, what things to innovate, You dont have too innovate a spoon and fork because its already good, theres not a single set ''original controller'' of how a controller should look like and be like. You think maybe playstation is the optimal? some say the xbox, and some say the NES controller is the best one, every one thinks differently, just because alot of people like standard controllers so they can easily play call of duty, doesnt mean it should be like that all the time. An entertainment industry is much different that a fork and a spoon my friend xD

You're contradicting yourself. You're saying a spoon and fork are already good. But Inovation doesn't happend unless you try something out, on stuff that is good already. There was no reason for phones to have a touch screen. Buttons worked fine. But it became what it became. Because it was more faster and better than how we input into it. Thing is Nintendo did test out the Gamepad for a long time. And decided to ignore the annoyance of you looking up and down. Unable to have two player games with it, Large size, and poor battery. This is not the DS where the screens are bolted next to themselves. This becomes an extra step in game usage. A step that isn't selling the system. But is just apart of it out of necessity.

97alexk said:
archer9234 said:
97alexk said:
AEGRO said:
97alexk said:

There are bad innovations ofc, but every innovation is a step forward, you cant know if you havent tried, you can speculate and have theories on how and if its gonna work, sometimes they dont work, and alot of times they also do. innovation is good, very good. Dont believe people who say anything differently, because going forward and trying out new things, taking risks, even though it might not sell good, even though consumer dont like it, its good when something new comes up. Because thats how we learn and develop and thats how we know, what things to innovate, You dont have too innovate a spoon and fork because its already good, theres not a single set ''original controller'' of how a controller should look like and be like. You think maybe playstation is the optimal? some say the xbox, and some say the NES controller is the best one, every one thinks differently, just because alot of people like standard controllers so they can easily play call of duty, doesnt mean it should be like that all the time. An entertainment industry is much different that a fork and a spoon my friend 

I disagree. Innovations are not always good. 

Hitler tried to innovate and bring change to Germany. Sure an extreme example but still. 

As for gaming, most gamers want the innovations in the games not the consoles. 

And by most that is a fact. You need only look at the sales. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

AZWification said:
ps3-sales! said:

Why do you think they don't sell then? 

It's because the online structure isn't up to standards with competition and the controller isn't suited for those type of games. Also the ps360 have an insane user base so most companies are trying to take advantage of that. 

Also to the other comments on the gamepad; I'm not saying don't include the gamepad. You can still innovate and include a packaged in "normal" controller. 

The majority of core gamers don't like the gamepad. Those millions of gta5 or call of duty players want to use a normal looking controller as a standard to their console. Thats kind of a fact. 

Your reasons might be correct, but I also think that the Nintendo userbase is simply more interested in franchises like Sonic and Rayman than Far Cry and Fallout.

This plus there is no way parents will allow their kids to buy something mature on their wii u. Nintendo's console has been known as a kiddie console for a long time. Nothings gonna change that image for a while imo.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

This argument is old and stale af.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about, everything you said in terms of tech and innovation basically describes the GC (which was a powerhouse slightly more powerful than Xbox) and still it was destroyed by PS2.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
97alexk said:
archer9234 said:
97alexk said:
AEGRO said:
97alexk said:

There are bad innovations ofc, but every innovation is a step forward, you cant know if you havent tried, you can speculate and have theories on how and if its gonna work, sometimes they dont work, and alot of times they also do. innovation is good, very good. Dont believe people who say anything differently, because going forward and trying out new things, taking risks, even though it might not sell good, even though consumer dont like it, its good when something new comes up. Because thats how we learn and develop and thats how we know, what things to innovate, You dont have too innovate a spoon and fork because its already good, theres not a single set ''original controller'' of how a controller should look like and be like. You think maybe playstation is the optimal? some say the xbox, and some say the NES controller is the best one, every one thinks differently, just because alot of people like standard controllers so they can easily play call of duty, doesnt mean it should be like that all the time. An entertainment industry is much different that a fork and a spoon my friend 

I disagree. Innovations are not always good. 

Hitler tried to innovate and bring change to Germany. Sure an extreme example but still. 

As for gaming, most gamers want the innovations in the games not the consoles. 

And by most that is a fact. You need only look at the sales. 

Lol. Did you really just bring up Hitler? That's not innovation.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

FunFan said:
Nintendo's needs to keep innovating. Otherwise, Sony will run out of new ideas.

K.O.

OT: The Wii U prototype of the E3 2011 was a good idea. The Wii U launched in 2012 was a poorly execution.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Anyone suggesting that a purple box with a handle, using a controller that looks like it was made by Fisher-Price, and playing mini-discs instead of DVDs is a "traditional console", needs to rethink this.

Apple was dumb to innovative with the ipod.

ps3-sales! said:

I was referring to the many people of the company so are seemed like the correct conjugation to use here. 

Since it sounds weird and I changed it, just for you. 

"Except a few games like GTA" considering GTA was the biggest franchise in that generation, along with Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid right up there; I'd say that's a pretty large exception. 

Sorry, that is just a pet peeve of mine when people say are after stating just one company.  I'll point out one article just to back me up.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-isn-t-producing-the-shovel-knight-amiibo-308506.phtml

Anyways, I'm the last person that should be lecturing on grammar or god forbid spelling.  I can see why you might use are if referring to everyone that works for them.  Just bothered me a little.  I appreciate the change.

I like the idea of the thread and the discussion it can bring though.  It appears the main problem is getting third party companies to make games for their systems.  Multiplat games usually sell less on Nintendo systems so third party companies are less inclined to make games on their systems.  Nintendo basically needs to have the same type of hardware as other systems to make to porting as cheap as possible.  If they can still make profit off just 1-2m sold then perhaps they might actually put the game on the system.  I still believe Ubisoft will eventually make money off ZombiU especially now they are porting it to other systems.