By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo Foolish for Focusing on Innovation?

Puppyroach said:
Innovation it's always good even when the market doesn't buy into it. It creates news ideas to play and pushes the industry forward.

Please tell me how any of the things the Wii U innovated are pushing the industry forward when I guarantee you none of them will be used by the next generation of consoles. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

I agree, Nintendo is dumb!

They had 7th gen locked down but still had many complaints about the system, so that when 8th gen rolls around all they had to do was to just cater to those issues. Simple. But instead they disregarded fans complaints and just built whatever the fck they felt like and expect it to be as big as the Wii.

I find it funny that when MS/Sony tries to do/add something new you'll hear stuff like 'they're forcing it down our throats!', but when Nintendo does something 'It's innovative!'....Sheeps i tell ya.

Nintendo's innovations are so good that the competitions doesn't care to bring it over next gen, while Nintendo tries to continue it. That's how innovative Nintendo was/is.

97alexk said:
AEGRO said:
97alexk said:

When Nintendo decides to be less innovative, thats the time when i give up on gaming, because innovation is the only thing that will bring something to the next level, Good innovations dont always sell that well, because of confusion and marketing, doesnt mean its bad. You people are too caught up with it supposedly being to sell good you didnt realize what the Wii U means, for the gaming industry. and nintendo as a whole. People love to just randomly hate on things. Im not attacking you, but this thread is at the bottom of worthless threads. Sorry, but seriously, BEING DUMB FOR TRYING TO INNOVATE?? WOW

People have the misconception that innovate means a silly tablet controller or a move wand.

We eat with a knive and a fork, does anybody feel the need that this tools have to be improved or something? They just work.

The majority of the people like regular controllers.

They have to be innovative with their games, not the hardware.

Using a fork and spoon was a bad comparison, because you dont need too much for it uses, but in an entertainment industry, you always have to bring out new things. I also prefer regular controllers, but i love when once in a while some crazy new comes out, wich in many peoples eyes is innovative: Nintendo have and still are incredibly innovative with their games. Aswell as their second party studios. Innovating hardware can lead to innovative games, thats how it works. All those innovative Wii U games, wich are fantastic have some use from the gamepad wich makes them unique and innovative, like ZOMBIU, without the gamepad zombiU feels like a bunch of nothing. Not all Wii U games have had a great use of the gamepad, but some have made it work. Look at Wii Sports, their controller was innovative, like nothing you seen before, and it sold million just because of the innovation.

No. It can be a good example. Anything can be screwed up by trying to change it. Say a spoon has a added suction motor to it. To prevent the liquid from falling out. This adds weight, batteries, and noise. Than has to be cleaned a certain way. Is it worth it for no spills? That's where gimmick and inovation meet. Does it compromise the use/enjoyment from the user. While it changes something. That's why infomerical products are usually hated.

Nintendo's TVii app could of been inovative. Except it was slow. Poorly designed. And we already have other options avaible that are better. So it became a gimmick and eventually removed. if I can turn on my cable box in the same time. or faster than the app can load the info. It's not good.

They are dumb, they will never be as smart as us. If they followed our advices then they wouldn't be in such a mess.
We always tell them what to do but they don't listen. Bunch of stupid corporate dogs.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

The Wii U didn't fail because it tried to innovate. It failed because it was poorly executed.

Around the Network

I agree with the basic premise of the thread, but we have to differentiate between "innovation" and being "unique" or "different". Nintendo has always been innovative - and that is good - but recently they have tried too hard to be different as well, and that isn't always good.

SNES was innovative. Dramatically more colors on screen. A controller that was more ergonomic, had more buttons and introduced triggers. Mode-7 3D. Dramatically improved sound. All fantastic innovations that improved gameplay without hurting it in any way or making third party support more difficult. But since that system, every single Nintendo Console has done something to hinder either core gamers interest or 3rd party support. They need to stop this.

ps3-sales! said:

Please tell me how any of the things the Wii U innovated are pushing the industry forward when I guarantee you home (none?) of them will be used by the next generation of consoles. 

Except for the NX, where most of those innovations will still be used, just executed better.

Nintendo needs to keep innovating. Otherwise, Sony will run out of new ideas.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I like innovation, just not too much. If you don't innovate then things become stagnant and the industry won't really go anywhere.

spemanig said:
ps3-sales! said:

Please tell me how any of the things the Wii U innovated are pushing the industry forward when I guarantee you home (none?) of them will be used by the next generation of consoles. 

Except for the NX, where most of those innovations will still be used, just executed better.

You better hope so, more importantly Nintendo better hope so.