By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo Foolish for Focusing on Innovation?

FunFan said:

Nintendo needs to keep innovating. Otherwise, Sony will run out of new ideas.

Headshot.

I hate the offer innovation as a side experience people keep talking about. Did that work with the PS2 and EyeToy?

Around the Network
archer9234 said:

You're contradicting yourself. You're saying a spoon and fork are already good. But Inovation doesn't happend unless you try something out, on stuff that is good already. There was no reason for phones to have a touch screen. Buttons worked fine. But it became what it became. Because it was more faster and better than how we input into it. Thing is Nintendo did test out the Gamepad for a long time. And decided to ignore the annoyance of you looking up and down. Unable to have two player games with it, Large size, and poor battery. This is not the DS where the screens are bolted next to themselves. This becomes an extra step in game usage. A step that isn't selling the system. But is just apart of it out of necessity.

I never said ''on stuff that is good already''. Innovation is always good, if anyone wants to innovate from a spoon and fork, then fine, let them do that, thats good in its own way, as i said, all innovations are good. Except maybe something like military use and weaponry. I know you are trying really hard to find some faults with the gamepad, i dont have any faults with it at all, i have a gamepad, ik how it feels like, i never had any problems with it. In fact, i love it. Because i can play with the audio output from the gamepad so i can have headphones close to me, while i play the game. i can also play on the gamepad only wich i used alot because someone else used the TV, and i liked alot of the gamepads own innovations.

97alexk said:

I never said ''on stuff that is good already''. Innovation is always good, if anyone wants to innovate from a spoon and fork, then fine, let them do that, thats good in its own way, as i said, all innovations are good. Except maybe something like military use and weaponry. I know you are trying really hard to find some faults with the gamepad, i dont have any faults with it at all, i have a gamepad, ik how it feels like, i never had any problems with it. In fact, i love it. Because i can play with the audio output from the gamepad so i can have headphones close to me, while i play the game. i can also play on the gamepad only wich i used alot because someone else used the TV, and i liked alot of the gamepads own innovations.

That isn't the point at all. Everyones different. Everyone likes something. The point is: at the end of the day. The Gamepad has failed to do what it was ment to do. Be the reason to buy the console. That is where Inovation becomes the gimmick. We measure the sucess from sales. We can say all the love and aprecation to Wonderful 101. It failed to sell. And now is a dead game series. Nintendo doesn't like the low sales of the console. nor doesn't like it doesn't get the games other systems get.

Sounds cool on paper, but this is why Nintendo has been around for so long. So many other of its competitors have come and gone but they've stayed steadfast in their endeavors. What makes Nintendo, Nintendo is their level of creativity and innovation that they've been known to bring. I mean, Wii and DS were in leagues of their own in terms of innovation and creativity. Nintendo tried to capitalize on that and it didn't work out because Wii U and 3DS are, although very fun, they're stale tech. Just souped up predecessors. However, I think NX will bring Nintendo back to the forefront of innovation and creativity.

Taking away Nintendo's will to innovate will kill the company. Other consoles of the 7th gen lost billions of dollars while Nintendo is only losing in the millions. True a loss is a loss, but if PS3 can take billions of dollars in losses and make a huge comeback with PS4, why can't it be the same with Nintendo and Wii U/3DS? Everybody slips up eventually. Coming out with a true, innovative breakout success isn't easy to do and it will have many failures along the way. But Nintendo isn't worried about failing. They're keeping their eyes on how they can make their innovations work.

It's a fine line between gimmick and innovation, and Nintendo has spent plenty of time on both sides.

With the Wii U, I honestly think the gamepad could have been somewhat innovative but it was totally let down by a lack of innovative software. That pretty much renders it a gimmick, as with the 3D on the 3DS. On the flip side of the coin we had the Wii, which was a success because it had the software to make the hardware stand out.

I don't think companies should stop trying to discover innovations. The truth, however, is that real innovation is rare. If you're going to make "innovation" the basis for each of your subsequent product generations then you're probably going to end up with more gimmicks than anything else.

Personally, I'll take the refinement of what already works well over gimmicks. I only care about innovation if it's truly a step forward. Someone else might enjoy the chance of pace that gimmicks bring. That's a question of personal taste.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Sounds cool on paper, but this is why Nintendo has been around for so long. So many other of its competitors have come and gone but they've stayed steadfast in their endeavors. What makes Nintendo, Nintendo is their level of creativity and innovation that they've been known to bring. I mean, Wii and DS were in leagues of their own in terms of innovation and creativity. Nintendo tried to capitalize on that and it didn't work out because Wii U and 3DS are, although very fun, they're stale tech. Just souped up predecessors. However, I think NX will bring Nintendo back to the forefront of innovation and creativity.

Taking away Nintendo's will to innovate will kill the company. Other consoles of the 7th gen lost billions of dollars while Nintendo is only losing in the millions. True a loss is a loss, but if PS3 can take billions of dollars in losses and make a huge comeback with PS4, why can't it be the same with Nintendo and Wii U/3DS? Everybody slips up eventually. Coming out with a true, innovative breakout success isn't easy to do and it will have many failures along the way. But Nintendo isn't worried about failing. They're keeping their eyes on how they can make their innovations work.

There is a point in time you reach where nothing you do can convince people. Nintendo has repeatly caused this problem. So more nad more people "give up". That becomes the issue. Sony has goofed hugely once. And it was only in the pricing area. Nothing else. Nintendo has goofed in a lot of areas. Softrware and hardware. Hate builds.

archer9234 said:
97alexk said:

That isn't the point at all. Everyones different. Everyone likes something. The point is: at the end of the day. The Gamepad has failed to do what it was ment to do. Be the reason to buy the console. That is where Inovation becomes the gimmick. We measure the sucess from sales. We can say all the love and aprecation to Wonderful 101. It failed to sell. And now is a dead game series. Nintendo doesn't like the low sales of the console. nor doesn't like it doesn't get the games other systems get.

Just a gimmick thing has been really dry lately, because what defines a gimmick, does it have a negative tone in it? Yes, nintendo cares alot of something succeeds or notbut they are also a company thats cares much about being innovative. At this point i cant remember what our discussion is about, do you agree that innovation is good, or is it bad?

97alexk said:
archer9234 said:
97alexk said:

Just a gimmick thing has been really dry lately, because what defines a gimmick, does it have a negative tone in it? Yes, nintendo cares alot of something succeeds or notbut they are also a company thats cares much about being innovative. At this point i cant remember what our discussion is about, do you agree that innovation is good, or is it bad?

Innovation is good. When it brings something that is better and doesn't add drawbacks to the majority of the consumers. What Nintendo did was a gimmick. The argument is Nintendo doesn't know when to pull back. Their innovations are bad because of this. So as of late. Innovations are bad from Nintendo. I just see Nintendo deisgners in a room trying to force a birth. Rather than improvements.

archer9234 said:
97alexk said:
archer9234 said:
97alexk said:

Innovation is good. When it brings something that is better and doesn't add drawbacks to the majority of the consumers. What Nintendo did was a gimmick. The argument is Nintendo doesn't know when to pull back. Their innovations are bad because of this. So as of late. Innovations are bad from Nintendo. I just see Nintendo deisgners in a room trying to force a birth. Rather than improvements.

In my point of view, they are forcing improvements aswell. I dont think that they try to force something really really weird, it has to work too, the thing is with the gamepad, its not a bad thing, it just didnt market good, and confusion, and alot of people prefered so called hardcore games with a real controller, wich Wii U also has. I dont know the word gimmick that well, does it mean always a negative thing?

archer9234 said:
Ljink96 said:

There is a point in time you reach where nothing you do can convince people. Nintendo has repeatly caused this problem. So more nad more people "give up". That becomes the issue. Sony has goofed hugely once. And it was only in the pricing area. Nothing else. Nintendo has goofed in a lot of areas. Softrware and hardware. Hate builds.

People said this during the Gamecube era too. I remember those kinds of forums and threads. "Nintendo can't convince anyone anymore". And then Wii and DS came around and obliterated their respective competitions. I know that Nintendo made a mistake with Wii U. 3DS is a huge success but Wii U faltered where it wasn't a good enough console to merit ports of current gen games.

Sony only lost that much money, yes because of pricing, but do we know why the price was that high? It didn't have to be. They just wanted to include Backwards Compatibility with PS1 and PS2 which costs money for those GPU units to enable this. But this isn't about Sony, I just made a reference to them to make a point that many think Wii U is a huge financial failure and that's barely the truth.

But here's where I stand with Nintendo: If NX doesn't do what it needs to do to enable 3rd parties to at least mindlessly port their game on NX, and if NX isn't easily accessible, then Nintendo needs to go 3rd party with their home consoles.