By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Yacht Club is manufacturing and distributing the Shovel Knight amiibo

Eh :/

Around the Network

I really want to use a shovel as a weapon right now.

Teeqoz said:
I honestly don't understand the hype for the game. I bought, and it was a huge let down. And it got a bloody 91 metascore!

Dawng, we agree on something!

DerNebel said:

What about the people that don't give a damn about the figurine but want the DLC? What about the people that would want the DLC and would be willing to get the figurine for it but can't get it because of supply?

If you think something is overpriced, you don't buy it. Simple as that. This rule of thumb will serve you well in every financial decision you make in your entire life. Shovel Knight was released over a year ago and has tons of content on the way at no extra cost. They are free to implement a feature they never promised in the first place and sell it for whatever price they choose, if you don't want to pay $X for it then don't.

Supply issues would be problematic but it's a bit presumptuous to complain about them this early. Past amiibo supply problems don't even apply since this is the first one being made and distributed by someone other than Nintendo.

the_dengle said:
DerNebel said:

"Now, this confirms that Nintendo has nothing to do with the content locked in the Shovel Knight amiibo"

Keep telling yourself that, Nintendo knew exactly what kind of content the Amiibo was going to lock out. It's completely naive to think that there wouldn't be an approval process for the content, Nintendo is putting their name on this after all (when people see Amiibo, they think made by Nintendo).

What are you on about? Nintendo should start policing indies? That's what made them so unpopular with indies last generation. If Yacht Club wanted to make a non-amiibo NFC figure that unlocked exclusive content they could do it all by themselves, and that's actually what they did. Nintendo just gave them permission to call it an amiibo. I don't see a problem with that, the figure itself looks high quality, in fact it looks a lot better than many of the Smash Bros amiibo.

And you think Nintendo just gives out the permission to call something an Amiibo without looking at what the figurine does or how it looks like? To give an extreme example, lets say a dev makes an NFC figure that unlocks a sex minigame in a certain title, would Nintendo in that case let that dev use the Amiibo name?

My problem here is that the OP is trying to portray Nintendo as an innocent bystander to the decision about what content is locked behind the Amiibo. I'm not saying that Nintendo should necessarily start policing indies, but I'd like it if we'd call a spade a spade here, to say that this (Nintendo exclusive) content that is linked to a figurine that carries a Nintendo licensed product name has been created entirely without Nintendo having a word in the matter, is simply wrong.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Teeqoz said:
I honestly don't understand the hype for the game. I bought, and it was a huge let down. And it got a bloody 91 metascore!

Dawng, we agree on something!

@_@

Watch out, universe is surely gonna implode now.

Ehh, this whole thing about co-op being locked behind the amiibo still bothers me quite a bit.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

DerNebel said:

And you think Nintendo just gives out the permission to call something an Amiibo without looking at what the figurine does or how it looks like? To give an extreme example, lets say a dev makes an NFC figure that unlocks a sex minigame in a certain title, would Nintendo in that case let that dev use the Amiibo name?

My problem here is that the OP is trying to portray Nintendo as an innocent bystander to the decision about what content is locked behind the Amiibo. I'm not saying that Nintendo should necessarily start policing indies, but I'd like it if we'd call a spade a spade here, to say that this (Nintendo exclusive) content that is linked to a figurine that carries a Nintendo licensed product name has been created entirely without Nintendo having a word in the matter, is simply wrong.

Here's a great interview with Nintendo's Damon Baker if you want to explore the company's thoughts on this.

"As soon as we made announcements about amiibo... there were pitches and proposals... we wanted legitimate proposals, we didn't want it to be exploitive. We really wanted it to pertain to gameplay and to enriching the consumer experience and the fan experience. ...When we started collaborating (with Yacht Club Games) we were like, 'What's one thing that Nintendo can do that nobody could ever do?' and the natural fit was amiibo."

So sure, Nintendo was part of the discussion. Ultimately, though, it's on Yacht Club. Nintendo didn't make, publish, or license Shovel Knight. The product they licensed is the amiibo. That means they have an interest in ensuring that the amiibo meets their 'standards'. That it is high-quality in appearance and offers an experience that justifies its asking price. For the record, Nintendo's 'standards' in this regard are pretty awful so far, considering some of the amiibo that do next to nothing even in the games for which they were made (Splatoon comes to mind). So far it sounds like the Shovel Knight amiibo ranks pretty high in terms of how much you get with it. Sure, as with most amiibo implementation it does nothing that couldn't have been done with a simple DLC, so as far as that goes I have as much of an issue with it as I have with every other amiibo.

Bottom line, there's no fundamental difference between this and every other amiibo. It's being made for amiibo fans. People who like amiibo will like this. People who don't like amiibo will not. There's nothing to be "extra" dissatisfied with. From the perception of one who already objects to amiibo, Nintendo hasn't done anything new here. They're just continuing to reinforce their stance that amiibo are limited, expensive, physical DLC. So when people point fingers at Nintendo for this... like, yeah, no shit. Where have you all been for the past 10 months? They are the ones who set the precedent here. But Yacht Club are the ones making and publishing the content, making and distributing the amiibo. This is all them.

I'm playing code name steam now, it's pretty bad, but anyway, if i wanted to unlock the amiibo characters, i would have to pay 100$ to a scalper right now for 4 pieces of plastic.

Yeah i hate amiibos.

DerNebel said:

"Now, this confirms that Nintendo has nothing to do with the content locked in the Shovel Knight amiibo"

Keep telling yourself that, Nintendo knew exactly what kind of content the Amiibo was going to lock out. It's completely naive to think that there wouldn't be an approval process for the content, Nintendo is putting their name on this after all (when people see Amiibo, they think made by Nintendo).

I don't think that's how it's meant to be read. It's just saying that the content in the Shovel Knight amiibo is likely independant of first party content in third party games or third party content in first party games.

In other words, this is not a Smash amiibo. Yet.