By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 10 lies games tell us about women

Tagged games:

Wright said:

But why can't a damsel in distress be rescued by a female knight, though?

Alternatively, why can't the damsel in distress be a guy? Something on the lines of:

And there is the disconnect.  The article talks about realistic but does anyone actually want most games to be realistic?  How many female knights were there?  How many female spec ops soldiers are there?  We're actually fine with "lies" told in video-games, it's just that some people think that the lies told about women should conform with feminist expectations.  That's kind of silly.  The entire medium is built around the atypical and the fantastic.

I mean, Ivy often gets talked about because her breast size is ridiculous.  Isn't everything about Ivy ridiculous?  It's like complaining X-fighters in Star Wars shouldn't be able to fly in atmosphere because it's not realistic.  Should we really worry about making Soul Calibur true-to-life?

Of course, that in no way means I wouldn't like to see more quality female characters in video-games and I have no problems with discarding some super predictable tropes--mostly because that means improving the writing--though it must be said that many tropes are there because they work.  You're going to find just as many tropes in media written to appeal to women, and many of them are going to be "lies" about men.

Which, really, makes me wonder why games get judged differently.  Are there any feminists stepping up and saying that the way men are portrayed in romance novels is sexist and needs to change?  Because if there are, I will be much more willing to believe they aren't being one-sided.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Wright said:

Alternatively, why can't the damsel in distress be a guy? Something on the lines of:

And there is the disconnect.  The article talks about realistic but does anyone actually want most games to be realistic?  How many female knights were there?  How many female spec ops soldiers are there?  We're actually fine with "lies" told in video-games, it's just that some people think that the lies told about women should conform with feminist expectations.  That's kind of silly.  The entire medium is built around the atypical and the fantastic.

I mean, Ivy often gets talked about because her breast size is ridiculous.  Isn't everything about Ivy ridiculous?  It's like complaining X-fighters in Star Wars shouldn't be able to fly in atmosphere because it's not realistic.  Should we really worry about making Soul Calibur true-to-life?

Of course, that in no way means I wouldn't like to see more quality female characters in video-games and I have no problems with discarding some super predictable tropes--mostly because that means improving the writing--though it must be said that many tropes are there because they work.  You're going to find just as many tropes in media written to appeal to women, and many of them are going to be "lies" about men.

Which, really, makes me wonder why games get judged differently.  Are there any feminists stepping up and saying that the way men are portrayed in romance novels is sexist and needs to change?  Because if there are, I will be much more willing to believe they aren't being one-sided.

It's very simple, it's a new popular entertainment medium, and like all of the entertainment mediums that came before it, books, comics, movies, music and TV, it's now targeted by the moral 'thought' police.  They will lose, like Jack Thompson, like the PMRC.  They have absolutely no control over content that is not theirs, and while they are more than welcome to create anything they want, they'd rather exert their energy telling everyone else what they CANNOT make, and what is WRONG to enjoy.

Wright, I see your ways have leaked over to this thread from skype.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Someone should do this except for men...

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

gatito said:
This list is so true and it find it kind of amusing. No need to be pressed guys, just chill.

No, they're not. Anyone who plays games knows that.

Around the Network
Wright said:
melbye said:
How can it be a lie when everybody knows it isn't true?

Isn't the fact that it isn't true what makes a lie, a lie?

Not necessarily, a lie is told to hide the truth or to deceive. Video games are fantasy, I think everyone should know that.  I don't think video game stories and worlds are considered lying. It's made up for sure, but not being true, real or fact doesn't necessarily make it a lie. It's still true to it's own fantasy world.

When I play a video game I don't think about race or gender, I don't really care. I care more about the gameplay and good story line. 

I excepted it to be from Kotaku lol. There are many misrepresentaion about women but so there about men in videogaming. We arent all heartless hitmans or greek gods either

pokoko said:
Wright said:

thats very unfair against big women with huge breast... ivy is allmost 6 foot tall, and her boobs arent soo giant.

im not an expert but i would guess E or F,  internet search says you can get those easyly at many stores, so its not so ridiculous.

Lawlight said:
gatito said:
This list is so true and it find it kind of amusing. No need to be pressed guys, just chill.

No, they're not. Anyone who plays games knows that.

Lighten up, it's probably meant to be funny and it seems like you could use some fun.

Lawlight said:
So, basically this list applies to Japanese games only?

What? Have you only played Japanese games?

Most western games have several of the points in that list when it comes to women.