By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 10 lies games tell us about women

Tagged games:

Wait... Are you telling me that videogames are not an accurate representation of real life? Shocking.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

i'll also add that stereotypes do exist for a reason, for example, the damsel in distress stereotype exists because even though it may not be politically correct to vocalise it women actually are generally physically weaker than men

But why can't a damsel in distress be rescued by a female knight, though?

Alternatively, why can't the damsel in distress be a guy? Something on the lines of:

Johnw1104 said:

I'll admit I'm really sick of that "I'm a tough, snarky woman that can only justify my presence in the company of these men by being impossibly capable as a fighter and more hostile than a spitting cobra until, later on in the game, I reveal that I'm actually emotionally vulnerable, scarred, and just want to be hugged" trope.

Thats was Hollywood's way of saying, ''we get it, women can be captain's of industries too.... but just you wait till shit hits the fan...'' And you are quite right, the trope is still being used today (Jurrasic World). I'm not defending it, but until you've had a female boss in the workless (I've had 4 different ones over the years) you will know there is some truth to it. They buckle under pressure real easily. 

Nymeria said:
I just want good characters

Just about the only sentiment to come from this article that actually matters. 

Good character, regardless or appearence/ personality trope/ personality flaw is what matters, and thats just what 99% of games and movies for that matter fail to deliver. 

Wright said:
o_O.Q said:

i'll also add that stereotypes do exist for a reason, for example, the damsel in distress stereotype exists because even though it may not be politically correct to vocalise it women actually are generally physically weaker than men

But why can't a damsel in distress be rescued by a female knight, though?

Alternatively, why can't the damsel in distress be a guy? Something on the lines of:

i just explained why and honestly i'd think it should be fairly obvious

these arguments are all based on the idea that men and women are the same and they are not sorry, fi they were there would be no need to separate them into groups called "genders" or "sexes"

i'm not saying btw that there can never be a woman who is stronger and braver than men in general, but i'm talking about what the general situation is

and the general situation is what games are going to be based on

Yeah...most of these are pretty accurate...

Just one more reason why I can't wait for Horizon

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

This list could really use some examples. I get some of them, but others leave me scratching my head.

bananaking21 said:
Ladies lack strength, but make up for it with gymnastics training
This might be the most prevalent lie on this list. We've all seen it. The female RPG character whose strength stat is at 3, but her agility is 14. Or the action game character who can't wield the bazooka, but has a special move where she cartwheels onto the enemy's head and breaks his neck with her mighty, dangerous crotch.

this one is hilarious and SO true.

its called realism, men are alot stronger than women, thats nothing about training, its biology... ohh and women are more flexible, that could be translated to higher agility.

Sorry, I don't learn about men or women from games, the vast majority of them are not necessarily reflective of real life. They're fantasies. And in fantasy, I do enjoy taking the role of a hero, or a heroine. And whether people want to admit it, there are plenty of strong female characters out there.

Conversely, for every 'negative' trope about women, 10,000,000 men are slaughtered in games, and every male is cut from marble like some greek god. So yeah, I mean if we wanted to nitpick about absurdly stupid shit (and yes, this is stupid shit. You aren't obligated to play ANY game), there's plenty of examples to go around.

I'll continue reading sci-fi/fantasy, and playing games that I enjoy. Ya'll can continue buying into gaming, and complaining about everything you choose to buy and play.  It would be nice though, if the people who are all up in arms over this, would shut the fuck up for 2 seconds, and apply themselves to bringing new IP to the industry, rather than attempting to force everyone into adopting their tastes (or fantasy), you might actually see more games that they felt were 'appropriate'.  But, this movement seems hell bent on coopting every current gaming narrative/story/fantasy, to suit their own moral compass.  And I simply do not take kindly to censorship of other peoples work.

While I can see some of this, it is clearly an exaggeration and extends more onto the Japanese (see most anime in general) rather than gaming as a whole.

This list is so true and it find it kind of amusing. No need to be pressed guys, just chill.