By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you treasure your 100% game save files?

Mystro-Sama said:

Depends, most times I just want the satisfaction of knowing I completely a game fully.

Yep me too! :)

Around the Network

I used to feel that way, but sometimes when my saved files became corrupted on my PS1, PS2 or PS3, it just meant I was compelled to do it all over again and play the game to its fullest. It's interesting that sometimes that was what it took to make me feel it necessary to complete them, and I was excited to do so. But I would never do it on purpose though. I guess it's that feeling of danger or loss that compelled me and even excited me.

Lube Me Up

I used to, until one day my 100% Kingdom Hearts 2 file got deleted. At that point, I realized how little it mattered to me. These days with trophies, I care about complete save files even less. The latest example was when my roommate was trading in his old phat PS3 for a newer model (it ended up being a really good deal). He was just deleting save data he didn't care about and my Tales of Graces F file that I had completed about 1.5 times (yay NG+) got wiped. Didn't end up caring one bit.

Ka-pi96 said:

That was possible?

Data corruption is always possible, no matter the platform.

Ka-pi96 said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
I used to feel that way, but sometimes when my saved files became corrupted on my PS1, PS2 or PS3, it just meant I was compelled to do it all over again and play the game to its fullest. It's interesting that sometimes that was what it took to make me feel it necessary to complete them, and I was excited to do so. But I would never do it on purpose though. I guess it's that feeling of danger or loss that compelled me and even excited me.

That was possible?

Yes. My PS1 memory card notably corrupted itself a couple times when I was younger. This is an official Sony memory card too. I don't know what triggered it, and to this day, the card in question still works fine (although I have no reason to use it since I have a PS3). I lost many hours of in-progress RPG save files.

Around the Network
Wright said:
Ka-pi96 said:

That was possible?

Data corruption is always possible, no matter the platform.

I never got data corruption on a PS2 memory card. But I had PS1 memory cards corrupt constantly.

I don't keep any save files at all.
Once I'm done with the game, I'm done...no matter if it's 100%, 60% or the game sucked and it's at 3%.
If I completed it, than the file is worthless, I'll either never play it again or I'll play it from the beginning.

When I started playing video games for the first time, I always deleted my save files as soon as I completed the game to instantly start over.
Today, I keep most of my save files. I only do delete them when I know that I'm going to 100% the game again anyway. Exceptions being things like my very first playthrough of Tales of Symphonia I did with my brother and his friend, or my very first Ocarina of Time file.

Ka-pi96 said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

That was possible?

Guess what happens when you ignore the "Don't remove the memory card while... blah blah blah..." warning.

Yes, I'm even backing them up if possible. Ok, I'm not 100%ing many games, I mean savegames in general.

Ka-pi96 said:

That was possible?

Yes, I lost my FF 7, 8, 9 savefiles on PS1 and always used a backup memory card afterwards. On GameCube, too.