By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mediacreate/Famitsu week ending Aug. 23rd

Dr.Vita said:
Skullwaker said:

You're missing the point. Splatoon isn't a special promotion, it's just a game that doesn't change the value of the purchase of the console itself.

The Bloodborne promotion is specific to the summer and is what has been driving sales recently. It's like how the temporary (at the time) price cut for the XBO seriously increased sales last holiday. Without it, it surely would have performed worse. And that's not to say that it's the only reason people are buying the PS4, it's just a big reason currently.

I am not missing the point, we don't know if the Bloodborne promotion is the reason why PS4 is selling better than Wii U. 
It could be also the Metal Gear Solid 5 hype for example. 

And the same thing goes to Wii U. We don't know how much Splatoon is helping Wii U. 
We can only guess these things. And in my opinion PS4 without the Bloodborne promotion would still be bigger than Wii U without Splatoon.

No you're clearly missing the point which skull explained to you.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
uran10 said:
Dr.Vita said:
Skullwaker said:

You're missing the point. Splatoon isn't a special promotion, it's just a game that doesn't change the value of the purchase of the console itself.

The Bloodborne promotion is specific to the summer and is what has been driving sales recently. It's like how the temporary (at the time) price cut for the XBO seriously increased sales last holiday. Without it, it surely would have performed worse. And that's not to say that it's the only reason people are buying the PS4, it's just a big reason currently.

I am not missing the point, we don't know if the Bloodborne promotion is the reason why PS4 is selling better than Wii U. 
It could be also the Metal Gear Solid 5 hype for example. 

And the same thing goes to Wii U. We don't know how much Splatoon is helping Wii U. 
We can only guess these things. And in my opinion PS4 without the Bloodborne promotion would still be bigger than Wii U without Splatoon.

No you're clearly missing the point which skull explained to you.

Ok..

Splatatatatatatatatoon! xD

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Don't know exactly the point. But, Wii U surely is above 10k thanks to Splatoon. I can't confirm that for PS4. I mean, it problaby has helped, but in my opinion, not that much I expected for a summer promotion.

horuhe said:
Don't know exactly the point. But, Wii U surely is above 10k thanks to Splatoon. I can't confirm that for PS4. I mean, it problaby has helped, but in my opinion, not that much I expected for a summer promotion.

The Point is that a limited time frame bundle will cause a major increase in sales all the way until that time frame is up which is why Ps4 is performing this way. Yes its baseline has improved but with how little releases it had over the summer it would be on Wii U level or lower in its sales without the deal. Splatoon was released in may and its effect is still on going. This deal lasts until MGSV launches (maybe longer I'm not exactly sure).  Its similar to the xbo deal last holiday season.

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
uran10 said:

on going promotion. bloodborne bundled with every ps4 digitally though summer. Without that Wii U would have the stronger summer.

I doubt this. 
And you could say the same about Wii U, without Splatoon it would sell much worse.

It seems like a reasonable conjecture; please explain why you doubt it.

In regards to your second, well of course WiiU would sell worse without Splatoon. Who would argue otherwise?

uran10 said:
horuhe said:

The Point is that a limited time frame bundle will cause a major increase in sales all the way until that time frame is up which is why Ps4 is performing this way. Yes its baseline has improved but with how little releases it had over the summer it would be on Wii U level or lower in its sales without the deal. Splatoon was released in may and its effect is still on going. This deal lasts until MGSV launches (maybe longer I'm not exactly sure).  Its similar to the xbo deal last holiday season.

PS4 may be sustaining better because of the digital freebie, but to say it's the cause of a major increase of sales is a bit odd. It's impossible to prove how much it's impacting overall numbers, because it's all conjecture. I can't imagine Bloodborne appeals to that many people several months after launch. The audience for it is small and is very likely to have purchased shortly after release.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

psychicscubadiver said:
I am mystified. There are zero PS4 games in the top twenty of either service compared to 3-4 WiiU games, and yet the PS4 continues to outsell it. Are people buying it on the promise of things to come?

They are buying varriety of software

What for bloodborne promotion? I dont see anything in the news

uran10 said:
horuhe said:

We have no data on digital sales on PS4, so a great majority of PS4 owners could be choosing to buy digital, which will deflate the software charts for PS4 games by a lot. And it could be that WIi U gamers are still primarily buying physical. Just because the retail software charts are underwhelming for PS4 doesn't mean PS4 games are not selling. Everyone need to start treating retail software charts differently to how they were regarded  even at the end of last generation. On the UK side, for instance, the top selling game for the week a couple of weeks back was actually a digital only title (Was it 'Everyone's gone to the Rapture'?). So digital is clearly becomming a much bigger thing, and is only going to get bigger. Making retail charts less and less reliable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix