By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mediacreate/Famitsu week ending Aug. 23rd

uran10 said:

The Point is that a limited time frame bundle will cause a major increase in sales all the way until that time frame is up which is why Ps4 is performing this way. Yes its baseline has improved but with how little releases it had over the summer it would be on Wii U level or lower in its sales without the deal. Splatoon was released in may and its effect is still on going. This deal lasts until MGSV launches (maybe longer I'm not exactly sure).  Its similar to the xbo deal last holiday season.

I think you are overvaluing one digital game given free. What is the value of one Bloodborne code? I don't know about japanese PSN but it could be around $40 or even lower (yens of course but I'm using $ to make it easier to understand). It's not much and I don't believe hardcore title like Bloodbourne is giving boosts of 40% to PS4 baseline. Comparing this promotion in japanese market to a western Xbox equivalent in a holiday season is also as faulty as it can be.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Around the Network
binary solo said:

We have no data on digital sales on PS4, so a great majority of PS4 owners could be choosing to buy digital, which will deflate the software charts for PS4 games by a lot. And it could be that WIi U gamers are still primarily buying physical. Just because the retail software charts are underwhelming for PS4 doesn't mean PS4 games are not selling. Everyone need to start treating retail software charts differently to how they were regarded  even at the end of last generation. On the UK side, for instance, the top selling game for the week a couple of weeks back was actually a digital only title (Was it 'Everyone's gone to the Rapture'?). So digital is clearly becomming a much bigger thing, and is only going to get bigger. Making retail charts less and less reliable.

This. I've seen more and more people take a stance like this lately. Analysis based mainly on retail data is not very accurate anymore.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

shakarak said:

Those PS4 software sales are abysmal. Even know the PS4 sold 4,000 more then the Wii U how come the first game to even chart is at 26 with 1,500 sales. Are people just not purchasing new games when they buy their PS4?  Is the used software or digital market substantially bigger for the PS4 in comparison to the Wii U?

I can only provide anecdotal evidence, i.e. what I'm seeing here in Hiroshima.

And I see that most retailers who sell used games have much more PS4 titles than Wii U games.

Make of that what you will.

Maybe lots of Japanese people use PSPlus? In that case you don't really need any physical games right from the start.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

binary solo said:
uran10 said:
horuhe said:
Don't know exactly the point. But, Wii U surely is above 10k thanks to Splatoon. I can't confirm that for PS4. I mean, it problaby has helped, but in my opinion, not that much I expected for a summer promotion.

The Point is that a limited time frame bundle will cause a major increase in sales all the way until that time frame is up which is why Ps4 is performing this way. Yes its baseline has improved but with how little releases it had over the summer it would be on Wii U level or lower in its sales without the deal. Splatoon was released in may and its effect is still on going. This deal lasts until MGSV launches (maybe longer I'm not exactly sure).  Its similar to the xbo deal last holiday season.

We have no data on digital sales on PS4, so a great majority of PS4 owners could be choosing to buy digital, which will deflate the software charts for PS4 games by a lot. And it could be that WIi U gamers are still primarily buying physical. Just because the retail software charts are underwhelming for PS4 doesn't mean PS4 games are not selling. Everyone need to start treating retail software charts differently to how they were regarded  even at the end of last generation. On the UK side, for instance, the top selling game for the week a couple of weeks back was actually a digital only title (Was it 'Everyone's gone to the Rapture'?). So digital is clearly becomming a much bigger thing, and is only going to get bigger. Making retail charts less and less reliable.

This could be a point but the truth is that we DO have data for digital sales, or at least estimates from Famitsu tracker.

And the July chart was recently posted. Here the Top 10 and I don't see any PS4 game for the month. Unfortunatly Famitsu didn't track Bloodborne free campaign, probably because is given for free so it's not a purchase.

Famitsu July 2015 Top 10 Digital {2015.6.22 - 2015.7.26}

01. [3DS] Tobidasu! Nyanko Taisensou  {2015.5.31} - 83.673

02. [WIU] Splatoon {2015.5.28} - 47.164

03. [3DS] Cube Creator 3D {2015.7.15} - 41.654

04. [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest {2015.6.25} - 39.070

05. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad {2015.7.11} - 33.243

06. [PSV] Fushigi no Gensoukyou: The Tower of Desire {2015.6.25} - 25.970

07. [PSV] DEEMO Last Recital {2015.6.24} - 15.898

08. [3DS] The Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken {2015.7.9} - 15.563

09. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf {2012.11.8} - 13.304

10. [PSV] Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version {2015.7.9} - 8.117

Media Create Annual Archive (Spanish version)

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/topic/2246651/

WC4Life said:
uran10 said:

I think you are overvaluing one digital game given free. What is the value of one Bloodborne code? I don't know about japanese PSN but it could be around $40 or even lower (yens of course but I'm using $ to make it easier to understand). It's not much and I don't believe hardcore title like Bloodbourne is giving boosts of 40% to PS4 baseline. Comparing this promotion in japanese market to a western Xbox equivalent in a holiday season is also as faulty as it can be.

More like 6.800¥ ($56) not including taxes ($60 with taxes). 

I don't understand how some of you can deny the impact of a free game. Of course it won't push the console to outstanding numbers, but the baseline is up for sure.

Ruler said:
What for bloodborne promotion? I dont see anything in the news

That's because you're late. It started in mid July and it ends the 31st of August

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/07/15/sony-bundles-bloodborne-with-ps4-consoles-in-japan/

Around the Network

PS4 is getting an obvious bump from all the Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest announcements. Plus MGSV is coming soon.

hiska-kun said:

I don't understand how some of you can deny the impact of a free game. Of course it won't push the console to outstanding numbers, but the baseline is up for sure.

I'm not saying there is no impact at all, I just think the impact is not as big as some people think. So at the moment digital version of Bloodborne is $60 but the valuation is still very tricky. Bloodborne has been on sale on EU-PSN and I would not be surprised if it has been on JAP-PSN also since release. So in that sense I would not value Bloodborne digital version at $60. If this promotion gave a physical copy of a just released game like Batman instead then I would accept it to give bigger boost. This is mainly because physical copy of a just released game adds significant potential value of trade/resell to the equation.

WC4Life said:
hiska-kun said:

I'm not saying there is no impact at all, I just think the impact is not as big as some people think. So at the moment digital version of Bloodborne is $60 but the valuation is still very tricky. Bloodborne has been on sale on EU-PSN and I would not be surprised if it has been on JAP-PSN also since release. So in that sense I would not value Bloodborne digital version at $60. If this promotion gave a physical copy of a just released game like Batman instead then I would accept it to give bigger boost. This is mainly because physical copy of a just released game adds significant potential value of trade/resell to the equation.

Well, I wasn't referring to just you, but more in general.

And of course the impact is not that big. But PS4 had almost no releases the past weeks, and we can compare to how the console was selling in June without releases:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1065233

It was selling 10-11k in June without games, but now in August is selling between 14k and 20k depending in holiday periods. This +4k copies of difference are the impact that Bloodborne is doing.

Metal Gear Solid V anticipation? Yes, it's possible one-two weeks before its release, but not more than one month ago

hiska-kun said:

And of course the impact is not that big. But PS4 had almost no releases the past weeks, and we can compare to how the console was selling in June without releases:

It was selling 10-11k in June without games, but now in August is selling between 14k and 20k depending in holiday periods. This +4k copies of difference are the impact that Bloodborne is doing.

Metal Gear Solid V anticipation? Yes, it's possible one-two weeks before its release, but not more than one month ago

I did some research. I still don't believe in a 40% weekly boost and I don't believe in a set number of 4k boost/week. I don't claim you do either, I guess you are talking August strickly with the 4k number. Anyway, here goes...

Media Create 2015

Week 24 -- PS4 10.822     (nothing special)

Week 25 -- PS4 13.850     (DMC4:SE, E3 2015)

Week 26 -- PS4 14.482     (Heavensward, new PS4-model available)

Week 27 -- PS4 18.171     (nothing special)

Week 28 -- PS4 15.779     (nothing special)

Week 29 -- PS4 24.266     (GODZILLA, Batman, Bloodborne promotion started)

Week 30 -- PS4 17.656     (Sengoku Basara 4, 2nd week of promotion)

Week 31 -- PS4 18.740     (Dragon Quest press event, 3rd week of promotion)

Week 32 -- PS4 14.619     (nothing special)

Week 33 -- PS4 18.503     (MGSV hype starts and gains 25p on COMG! this week which is a lot more it had done in the past)

Week 34 -- PS4 14.495     (MGSV hype continues)

After week 24, weeks 25-28 PS4 kept selling with the help of 2 smaller releases, E3 hype and new PS4-model. Week 29 Bloodborne promotion started and combined with the release of Batman, this is the week where I see the promotion really pushed PS4 sales a lot or was it all GODZILLA? Week 30 I believe the effect of promotion dropped hard, SB4 helped a little. Week 31 is all Dragon Quest, nothing else can explain why PS4 would be up. Week 32 even with the help of the promotion, is still 1k lower than week 28. This is where I believe the promotion stopped having a significant impact. Week 33 MGSV definitely had an effect, did MGSV marketing begin this week? Week 34 MGSV hype continues.

That's my take on the subject, very roughly. There are many different factors and I strongly believe those other factors far outweight Bloodborne promotion. All in all, it was still very great move from Sony to offer Bloodborne for free.

WC4Life said:
hiska-kun said:

I did some research. I still don't believe in a 40% weekly boost and I don't believe in a set number of 4k boost/week. I don't claim you do either, I guess you are talking August strickly with the 4k number. Anyway, here goes...

Media Create 2015

Week 20 -- PS4 11.489     (FFX/X-2)

Week 21 -- PS4 12.096     (the Witcher 3)

Week 22 -- PS4 12.272     (No games)

Week 23 -- PS4 11.763     (No games)

Week 24 -- PS4 10.822     (No games)

Week 25 -- PS4 13.850     (DMC4:SE, E3 2015)

Week 26 -- PS4 14.482     (Heavensward)

Week 27 -- PS4 18.171     (new PS4-model available)

Week 28 -- PS4 15.779     (nothing special)

Week 29 -- PS4 24.266     (GODZILLA, Batman, Bloodborne promotion started)

Week 30 -- PS4 17.656     (Sengoku Basara 4, 2nd week of promotion)

Week 31 -- PS4 18.740     (Dragon Quest press event, 3rd week of promotion)

Week 32 -- PS4 14.619     (nothing special)

Week 33 -- PS4 18.503     (Obon Holidays => sales rise)

Week 34 -- PS4 14.495     (Obon Holidays over => sales drop MGSV hype)

After week 24, weeks 25-28 PS4 kept selling with the help of 2 smaller releases, E3 hype and new PS4-model. Week 29 Bloodborne promotion started and combined with the release of Batman, this is the week where I see the promotion really pushed PS4 sales a lot or was it all GODZILLA? Week 30 I believe the effect of promotion dropped hard, SB4 helped a little. Week 31 is all Dragon Quest, nothing else can explain why PS4 would be up. Week 32 even with the help of the promotion, is still 1k lower than week 28. This is where I believe the promotion stopped having a significant impact. Week 33 MGSV definitely had an effect, did MGSV marketing begin this week? Week 34 MGSV hype continues.

That's my take on the subject, very roughly. There are many different factors and I strongly believe those other factors far outweight Bloodborne promotion. All in all, it was still very great move from Sony to offer Bloodborne for free.

I added and corrected a few mistakes.

Now look the sales of PS4 between week 20-24. Even games like the Witcher 3 that sold pretty well, had almost no effect. That's why I doubt Batman and Sengoku Basara, that sold less that The Witcher, had any effect on Hardware sales at all.

The point here is that since the Bloodborne promotion, Hardware sales have never come back to 10-12k levels. And of course in week 32 the promotion started to lose its effect, but it recovered thanks to holidays. That's why we can assume that PS4 would've sold ~10k the past weeks without Bloodborne (14k during Obon's week) 

BTW Metal Gear Solid V real promotion started yesterday, with TV commercials like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN470wKT9PM