By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What is your opinion on the "Ashley Madison Hack"?

What is your opinion on the Ashley Madison Hack?

Website is at fault 10 3.36%

Website and users are at fault 34 11.41%

Everyone subject to hacking is a victim 44 14.77%

All cheaters should get screwed 75 25.17%

Cheating is no big deal, ... 8 2.68%

I hope I am not among the names leaked 11 3.69%

I keep my Love Pillow awa... 1 0.34%

Hackers, cheaters and the... 30 10.07%

The people cheated on and... 41 13.76%

I don't care. 44 14.77%

Total:298
Johnw1104 said:

What really rubbed me the wrong way was the message from the hackers when they released the information, saying it was to punish the company and the cheaters for their lack of morality. Who the hell made them the masters and arbiters of morality?

As always with hackers there's a definite narcissism fueling their god complex that I find every bit as disturbing, if not more so, than the people they're outting for one thing or another.

I am a person who has been personally affected by infidelity, mind you, but the way to deal with it is not to have some narcissistic anonymous person in a distant living room reveal said information, including things like kinks and financial information, to the world. It is no one's damn business and you're doing as much damage to the cheated-on as you do the cheater. Everyone responds differently to the situation, and it needn't be broadcast for their entire community to see which humiliates all involved.

I do wonder how many of those men even succeeded in cheating given it appears to be over 90% male. Regardless, I hope they're able to identify some of the people behind this and I find it abhorrent that mainstream media are actually combing through the list in search of famous people when said list has been made public through illegal means. We all claim to desire privacy but the moment there are leaks, be it these, personal emails, celeb pictures etc, they're thrown on TV and discussed ad nauseum. While the hackers may be behind these releases, it wouldn't matter were there not a waiting and eager audience. They make hypocrites of us all, essentially.

To conclude: cheating is immoral, hacking is immoral, involving yourself in the private matters of others is immoral, and, according to John Oliver, Ottawa is a doomed city.

Truly an excellent post.

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
metroidking said:
Mike321 said:
Hackers are to blame, what gives them the right to reveal personal information? even if they were victims they should have done what they did. Website is also to blame as they need to make sure they security system is on point because people are trusting them with important information.

Cheater are not to blame, hate them all you want (like me) but if cheating is the way they want to live their life no one other than themselves has the right to say if they cheat.

If you want to cheat then at least grow some balls and not be a pussy and come clean about it. The person youre cheating on has a right to know and the people who cheated they got whats coming to them.

I am glad the hackers have done it cause it has exposed alot of government officials for there sleazy antics, so now I know who not to vote for. There is no way the hackers will get caught if they dont follow up with more hacks but more than likely they will hack other websites and will eventually leave trails.

What if the cheater is a woman that has been beaten by her husband for several years and is basically afraid of her life?

Then she should call the police.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

Imaginedvl said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I don't pity them since they were stupid enough to put there personal info on a website that revolves around cheating and charges you to delete your personal info.

Though I am glad for divorce lawyers. This must be a wet dream for them.

Really? So using an online service and providing your personnal info is "stupid" now?

While I do not support cheating in general they are using a online service (like any other online services out there... I'm sure you are giving your personnal info to Sony or Microsoft while using Xbox Live/PSN or Netflix etc...) and there is nothing wrong into that (or stupid). And the website being about having an affair is in no way a valid reason to have their information being stolen by hackers.

To OP:

Website and hackers are at fault (you miss this one...)
No matter what the website is about, being hacked and having our personal data being accessed from hackers is the only issue here. Those people who used the website to cheat are in no-way responsible for that.

Putting your real personnel information on the internet has been stupid for nearly a decade.

These days, you got to figure anything you do on the web is being observed by someone else on the web - ESPECIALLY if your email and credit card involved.

The hack didn't uncover anything a curious spouse couldn't find out.

You could say we should hold the site to higher standards, but I thinks it's obvious in several ways they don't really have any.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

ohmylanta1003 said:
Puppyroach said:

What if the cheater is a woman that has been beaten by her husband for several years and is basically afraid of her life?

This ^^
If someone is being abused they should go to the police and press charges against the person who is oppressing them, rather than spending money so they can cheat. That is simply ludicrous to believe that someone fearing for their life should cheat. They should remove themselves from that unhealthy environment and seek assistance from those who would offer a lending hand. People are often supportive of those who are in need of help.

Also if people are unhappy with the marriage they are in, rather than being dishonest and leading many people astray, there is such a thing called a divorce. That way they do not have to take part in financing a company that prides itself in making money from dishonest people, despite the fact that the CEO of said website would not want to discover his wife as a member of said website.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
LivingMetal said:

What's legal isn't always moral, and what's illegal isn't always immoral.  And I never said hacking wasn't illegal or immoral.  Also, my commited wife of 20+ years just bought me a new Mazda 6 2016.  Paid in full.  And we has sex two nights ago, not last night. Life sucks. Maybe I need a Hallmark sympathy card.

Nice of her to have bought you a Mazda 6 with your own money :)

Actually, it was with her own money.  Her mother passed away last year so she inherited her mother's house then later sold it this year.  So the house and money earned was under her name, and she had every legal right to do as she pleased. And what pleased her pleased me.  Her choice which I most appreciated.  Relating to the topic, the choices and actions we take have an effect.  Go figure.

LivingMetal said:
Lawlight said:

Nice of her to have bought you a Mazda 6 with your own money :)

Actually, it was with her own money.  Her mother passed away last year so she inherited her mother's house then later sold it this year.  So the house and money earned was under her name, and she had every legal right to do as she pleased. And what pleased her pleased me.  Her choice which I most appreciated.  Relating to the topic, the choices and actions we take have an effect.  Go figure.

Yes like hacking into a website and illegally stealing private information and then revealing said information without consent should get you charged and thrown in prison. Go figure. 

Soundwave said:
LivingMetal said:

Yes like hacking into a website and illegally stealing private information and then revealing said information without consent should get you charged and thrown in prison. Go figure. 

Aye. To me, the morality of their actions and their presence on that site should be irrelevant; the focus ought to be entirely on whomever it was that took it upon themselves to steal and reveal the private information of others.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Puppyroach said:

Yes, that is the logical action in a make-belief, perfect world where a person who has been beaten and abused for several years can think rationally and trust authorities. But in the world we live in, humans rarely make the logical decision since they are, you know human. But I would never blame them for it, rather try to understand it.

And this is where the problem lies with this whole situation, in empathy. If we cast aside discussions about morality (which is a very relative subject) and legality (which is always hard to a specific case like this), the question about empathy remains and if these hackers even cared about what life situations these supposed cheaters (we actually don´t know how many cheated, and how many just talked with other people) was in and how their actions would affect them. It is also a matter how we as observers react; are we showing empathy towards the hackers or the cheaters (or the cheaters spouses)? I think therein lies the dividing line between a lot of people in this thread.

Puppyroach said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
Puppyroach said:

Yes, that is the logical action in a make-belief, perfect world where a person who has been beaten and abused for several years can think rationally and trust authorities. But in the world we live in, humans rarely make the logical decision since they are, you know human. But I would never blame them for it, rather try to understand it.

And this is where the problem lies with this whole situation, in empathy. If we cast aside discussions about morality (which is a very relative subject) and legality (which is always hard to a specific case like this), the question about empathy remains and if these hackers even cared about what life situations these supposed cheaters (we actually don´t know how many cheated, and how many just talked with other people) was in and how their actions would affect them. It is also a matter how we as observers react; are we showing empathy towards the hackers or the cheaters (or the cheaters spouses)? I think therein lies the dividing line between a lot of people in this thread.

You should have stopped typing after "Yes, that is the logical action".

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.