By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon: Zero Dawn Time Lapse of Open World video

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
JNK said:
Uhm im not really hyped. Its nothing that impresses me scince its nothin new. We already got Witcher 3 as a big beatifull open world game with day/night cycle.
Also the game looks alot like assassins creed to me (assassins creed III), which i didnt liked.

So not hyped yet, no

You listening GG, we have The Witcher3 already , fuck off and delete ALL the Horizon work you did , we dont need another open world RPG !!! We dont need another big beatifull open world game with awsome day night cycle.

never said that, please learn how to read. Im just not hyped.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Samus Aran said:
•Since this is a living real world, we simulate the spinning of the earth by having a time of day cycle.
Wow, such innovation. I'm hyped for the game, but that's one of the stupidest things he could have said to promote his game. This shit has been done in just about every open world game since OoT.

No no no, other games have the sun moving around, GG simulates the entire earth spinning around. That's a huge difference! Move 1 sun bitmap or move EVERYTHING but the one bitmap. True gods there.

Well No Man's Sky has the planets ACTUALLY spinning so what now? :P

Nuvendil said:
SvennoJ said:
Samus Aran said:
•Since this is a living real world, we simulate the spinning of the earth by having a time of day cycle.
Wow, such innovation. I'm hyped for the game, but that's one of the stupidest things he could have said to promote his game. This shit has been done in just about every open world game since OoT.

No no no, other games have the sun moving around, GG simulates the entire earth spinning around. That's a huge difference! Move 1 sun bitmap or move EVERYTHING but the one bitmap. True gods there.

So does Frontier: first encounters, 3 years before OoT as well.
Yet do they simulate the flattening effect from spinning so fast, assuming days only last 20 minutes as is the norm in console games. You would be moving at over 120 thousand km/h at the equator or 33.4 km/s, that's nearly 3 times the escape velocity of earth. Everything should be flying off...

Anyway I don't know why day/night cycle is so great in rpgs. I always find it annoying to play in the dark unless it's story related. When I played WoW it was synchronized with real time (maybe still is) Since I could only play at night it was always dark in the game. Only once in a while during a weekend did I get to see the game in color. In the Witcher 3 I always meditated from sun down to sun up. GTA5 does this weird timelapse when you start a mission to get to the right time. TW3 does it too at some points, it seems it's more of an inconvenience than a useful feature. I like the effect and extra tension it creates in endurance races, yet in rpgs I rather skip the nights. Why play in dull blue colors instead of a nice colorful world.

SvennoJ said:
Nuvendil said:

Yet do they simulate the flattening effect from spinning so fast, assuming days only last 20 minutes as is the norm in console games. You would be moving at over 120 thousand km/h at the equator or 33.4 km/s, that's nearly 3 times the escape velocity of earth. Everything should be flying off...

Anyway I don't know why day/night cycle is so great in rpgs. I always find it annoying to play in the dark unless it's story related. When I played WoW it was synchronized with real time (maybe still is) Since I could only play at night it was always dark in the game. Only once in a while during a weekend did I get to see the game in color. In the Witcher 3 I always meditated from sun down to sun up. GTA5 does this weird timelapse when you start a mission to get to the right time. TW3 does it too at some points, it seems it's more of an inconvenience than a useful feature. I like the effect and extra tension it creates in endurance races, yet in rpgs I rather skip the nights. Why play in dull blue colors instead of a nice colorful world.

Well to be honest, night in Witcher 3 is done piss poor, that is not what I call night, considering you can see everything. In RPGs that have that done properly, and where you can't skip time in middle of nowhere, night can bring both rewards and dangers.

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:
Nuvendil said:

Well to be honest, night in Witcher 3 is done piss poor, that is not what I call night, considering you can see everything. In RPGs that have that done properly, and where you can't skip time in middle of nowhere, night can bring both rewards and dangers.

I can't even remember the last rpg with proper nights though, apart from Everquest. There it got scary dark, with many zones bringing out a different more difficult set of mobs. I guess Minecaft does that too.
I prefer time of day changes based on story progression which gives a lot better sense of how much time has passed. That better fits linear games of course (for example MGS2 and TloU recently), yet in open world it also alerts you that you're not moving on while sidetracked on side errands.
I didn't miss a time of day cycle at all in the Souls games (does't belong there) yet what might be cool is an RPG on a tidal locked world. The position of the sun locked to your geographic position. Main quest involving an epic journey to the dark side and back.

Around the Network

How does it play?

SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

I can't even remember the last rpg with proper nights though, apart from Everquest. There it got scary dark, with many zones bringing out a different more difficult set of mobs. I guess Minecaft does that too.
I prefer time of day changes based on story progression which gives a lot better sense of how much time has passed. That better fits linear games of course (for example MGS2 and TloU recently), yet in open world it also alerts you that you're not moving on while sidetracked on side errands.
I didn't miss a time of day cycle at all in the Souls games (does't belong there) yet what might be cool is an RPG on a tidal locked world. The position of the sun locked to your geographic position. Main quest involving an epic journey to the dark side and back.

Oh, few pop to mind, with night hunting animals (which you can sneak up on during the day, since they're sleepig...if you're good enough).

As for static time during side-quests, honestly, not liking that idea, I think there are better mechanics to solve carelessness for main story - but locked Sun could be really fun, considering how much light and dark side would be different.