By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo ever produce a relevant home console again?

Can Nintendo produce a relevant home console again

Yes, each console with Ni... 226 43.88%

Perhaps, console gens hav... 126 24.47%

Probably not, especially ... 82 15.92%

Nope 44 8.54%

Not a single chance in hell 37 7.18%

Total:515

of course not, the wii was just an error of the matrix.

Around the Network
iLikeEggs said:
Kagerow said:
iLikeEggs said:

Nope. Mess up once, that's it. It's been proven in several scientific studies done by Perez Hilton that if you produce a commercially unsuccessfuly product once, then you will never be able to produce a successful one again. I read about it in People. 

Most of market theory spectacularly fails when it tries to calculate culture and entertainment. If above statement is true, Nintendo's multiple failure in late 1970 should have collapsed the company entirely before 1985.

Yes, it always could. There are so many things in the market that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft can still do, and I will be always expecting more.

Oh yeah, I was just joking. I compltely made that up. Extreme hyperbole. I only wish the best for the big three in gaming. There is always a chance for Nintendo to have another relevant home console. 

Oh, I mistook that statement as being serious because your statement DOES applies on modern semi-conductor industry.

You will never believe how one mistake can sink the company so low.

The one thing that I would say struck me as a little different is Nintendo was looking for a lead graphics engineer for their next-gen system(s) from the West. So maybe he/she would have a more modern view on tech ... whether or not they would actually listen to that person or just overrule them though I have no idea.

Soundwave said:
The one thing that I would say struck me as a little different is Nintendo was looking for a lead graphics engineer for their next-gen system(s) from the West. So maybe he/she would have a more modern view on tech ... whether or not they would actually listen to that person or just overrule them though I have no idea.

For which studio ? Link to the job opening ?

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

For which studio ? Link to the job opening ?

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/21/nintendo-is-looking-for-a-lead-graphic-engineer-for-next-gen-console/

They were looking for a lead graphic engineer for their next-generation hardware to work at Nintendo Technology Development in Redmond, Washington about a year ago. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/21/nintendo-is-looking-for-a-lead-graphic-engineer-for-next-gen-console/

They were looking for a lead graphic engineer for their next-generation hardware to work at Nintendo Technology Development in Redmond, Washington about a year ago. 

Hopefully they can get some extremely talented former employees from AMD, Nvidia, or Intel ... 

Those guys are all about bleeding edge graphics ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Soundwave said:

Hopefully they can get some extremely talented former employees from AMD, Nvidia, or Intel ... 

Those guys are all about bleeding edge graphics ... 

Well I would assume AMD at least would give them whatever they want. 

It's more of a question of whether or not their Japanese board of directors is willing to listen. The fact that they were willing to hire a Western lead graphic engineer though suggests maybe the ass thumping they've taken the last few years has sobered them up a bit. 

My personal feeling is while having a high tech chip alone isn't a gaurunteed win, it at least gets you into the party. What you do inside the party after that is up to you. But you can't go the low power approach IMO unless you have a crazy gimmick, that is legitimately ground breaking and has a clear cut unchallenged audience to tap into. 

I am growing to despise the word "relevant" because that word is relaTIVE to the individual.

Soundwave said:

Well I would assume AMD at least would give them whatever they want. 

It's more of a question of whether or not their Japanese board of directors is willing to listen. The fact that they were willing to hire a Western lead graphic engineer though suggests maybe the ass thumping they've taken the last few years has sobered them up a bit. 

My personal feeling is while having a high tech chip alone isn't a gaurunteed win, it at least gets you into the party. What you do inside the party after that is up to you. But you can't go the low power approach IMO unless you have a crazy gimmick, that is legitimately ground breaking and has a clear cut unchallenged audience to tap into. 

AMD and Nintendo are seperate entities ... 

Personally, I would be much more interested if Nintendo partnered up with Nvidia or especially Intel this around since they seem a whole lot more interesting and they would likely give the best performance per watt plus I don't think Intel cares about their losses when it comes to mobile chips ... 

Of course they can. If they make their console a Fusion device that combines their handheld and console together, I think that would sell well.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54