By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo ever produce a relevant home console again?

Can Nintendo produce a relevant home console again

Yes, each console with Ni... 226 43.88%

Perhaps, console gens hav... 126 24.47%

Probably not, especially ... 82 15.92%

Nope 44 8.54%

Not a single chance in hell 37 7.18%

Total:515
Soundwave said:
danielrdp said:

I'm not sure about Nintendo focusing on the Handheld market. I don't think a dedicated game device can compete with mobile phones anymore. That's way the fusion idea kind make sense. Nintendo doesn't need to sell as much consoles as Sony. What they need is to have a profit. I hope their mobile games can also be successful in order to help them maintain their console business. 

This gen is on pace to finish at around

72-75 million - 3DS

15-17 million - Wii U

I wouldn't count on a home version of the NX coming close to the portable version's sales. 

What I meant is that the handheld market shrank a lot this gen. 

154 million DS

90 million PSP

72-75 million 3DS

15 million PS Vita

You're right. NX console version probably won't come close the portable one, specially in Japan. However nintendo can't count on handhelds to keep the company alive as it was the case in the past with the DS and GameBoy. They need to improve their console business market share.

Around the Network
danielrdp said:
Soundwave said:

This gen is on pace to finish at around

72-75 million - 3DS

15-17 million - Wii U

I wouldn't count on a home version of the NX coming close to the portable version's sales. 

154 million DS

90 million PSP

72-75 million 3DS

15 million PS Vita

You're right. NX console version probably won't come close the portable one, specially in Japan. However nintendo can't count on handhelds to keep the company alive as it was the case in the past with the DS and GameBoy. They need to improve their console business market share.

Unfortunately that is also easier said than done. Without a controller gimmick that really drives sales adoption, Nintendo's other two consoles have failed miserably to compete in a console business that's largely been dominated by Sony since the mid/late 1990s. 

I think if Nintendo can hold fort at even

60 million portable NX

15-17 million home NX 

They'll probably take it without too many complaints. 

Soundwave said:
Nintendo really probably has their hands full just maintaining their handheld market, it will take a minor miracle for that not to continue to drop. That's where their focus has to be.

Have integration with home console could do a trick or that hybrid device we already mentioned.

Soundwave said:
danielrdp said:

154 million DS

90 million PSP

72-75 million 3DS

15 million PS Vita

Unfortunately that is also easier said than done. Without a controller gimmick that really drives sales adoption, Nintendo's other two consoles have failed miserably to compete in a console business that's largely been dominated by Sony since the mid/late 1990s. 

I think if Nintendo can hold fort at even

60 million portable NX

15-17 million home NX 

They'll probably take it without too many complaints. 

You expecting next Nintendo home console to sell on pair with Wii U!?

Even Nintendo screw up Wii U in evry possible way and that's why Wii U is selling terrible. So you expecting that Nintendo will again repeat all that terrible and big mistakes, like terrible marketing (and name), high price, bad launch titles and not appealing gimmick (gamepad), software drouths, hardware architecture not appealing for 3rd party..!?

If NIntendo just correct half of those things on NX, NX will sell much better than Wii U, and I think Nintendo will correct majority of those mistakes on NX.

I would be very suprise if NX home console wouldnt sell much better than Wii U.

Nintendo this gen will  probably sell 3DS/WiiU combine around 85-90m, for NX platform I cant see they aiming less than 100m.