By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo ever produce a relevant home console again?

Can Nintendo produce a relevant home console again

Yes, each console with Ni... 226 43.88%

Perhaps, console gens hav... 126 24.47%

Probably not, especially ... 82 15.92%

Nope 44 8.54%

Not a single chance in hell 37 7.18%

Total:515

Absolutely yes

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Around the Network

I don't think you should have used the word relevant. Sure, Wii U sales are much lower than Xbox One and PS4 but the fact that Wii U is still being talked about a lot on gaming publications/websites and forums, and delivers high quality games makes it relevant.

As to whether nintendo can compete again to a higher degree, yes I think so. Although I seriously doubt that NX will reach Wii heights, I think it will do better than Wii U.

Spending warm summer days indoors   

Writing frightening verse

To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, WiiU, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Mega Drive, Game Gear, PS1, PS2, PSP, XBOX 360, Atari Lynx

KBG29 said:
Soundwave said:

That's a non-starter, people use their phones for a lot more than just making phone calls (hell, that's about the last thing I use my smartphone for). 

The smartphone is the central tech and social hub of people's day to day lives, they're not going to give that up for a silly portable console that has some phone features on the side. No way in hell. 

And if it ain't Android or iOS no one is touching that with a 50 foot pole (ask Microsoft and Blackberry). 

So you're never going to get them to take away their smartphone is their pocket. Where you may be able to make some headway is in the budget tablet market ($250 and less). If you can release a good tablet that also can double as game handheld with physical controls, and you sell it at cost (thus undercutting every other tablet), relying on games to make money on ... yeah I could see that doing OK. 

I think Apple overcharging for the iPad has kinda stymied their momentum in that market ... people don't want to pay $500 for a tablet. 

Unbelievable, what kind of mental trap do the current mobile market leaders have on people to make them think this way. It is absolutly insane to think that no one can ever touch the mobile space ever again. 

Where does the idea that a piece of glass with such limited functionality is a serious piece of tech, and a device with pysical controls is just "a silly portable console" come from? Are people seriosuly in so much of a fog that they can not see the major limitations of the current mobile leaders? 

There is absolutly no reason Nintendo can not make an OS that is just as capable of integrating Social Media, Diet & Health Trackers, E-readers, Mobile Banking, Productivity Applications, Video/Audio/Photo Editing, and much more, while still maintaning a gaming centered enviornment at the core. The same applies for Microsoft and Sony, both comapnies could easily make a gaming centered mobile device on their own OS that matches or outshines the current leaders in every aspect. 

Blckberry and Windows Phone are struggling for a multitude of reasons, but the biggest one is they are trying to beat the current leaders by doing the exact same thing. The only way to ever compete or have a shot at claiming a position among the leaders, is to come at this with a different approach. One which brings something new to the market, while also being just as good or better than the current leaders at what they already offer. 

Nintendo is not incapable of bring out a highly functional Portable Console which has more functionality than what is offered on phones today. The device can still be a gameing centric device, but with the versatility to be much more if one desires to use it in a different matter. If done right, someone with no interest in games could buy it, and get a better experience than their current phone while never even touching the gaming part of the device. If they can do that, and bring the same level of operation to the home platform as well, then they will not only be relevant, they will have a shot at being the leader of home and mobile electronics. 

It's not a mental trap, many huge companies have tried to push alternatives to iOS/Android. Microsoft has spent billions trying to push Windows Phone OS. Blackberry used to rule the market. They're getting crushed like nothing. 

I think you underestimate how finicky people are about their phone OS. You wanna see someone freak out? Replace their iPhone with an Android or vice versa and you're likely going to have one angry customer on your hands. 

Smartphones are very important to people, outside of their wallet it's basically the most important thing people have with them. Probably even moreso than the wallet ... having lost my smartphone once, I'd rather have lost my wallet (easy enough to replace credit cards and get back my driver's license). 

There is no fucking chance Nintendo can make an OS comparable to iOS or Android, lol, the Wii U interface is laughably basic ... Apple and Google spend *billions* of dollars developing those OS and have thousands of employees that work on nothing but the OS. Nintendo is rinky dink game developer that had like 50 people develop the Wii U OS. And they sure as hell would not get app support. They can't even get video game developers to support their video game consoles (lol), they're somehow going to top Microsoft and Blackberry and get app support on par with Apple and iOS overnight? No chance. 

If they every figure out that the consumer is always right, maybe. Seriously. It's not our fault that were aren't interested in your console, it's your fault you made one we're not interested in. 

Soundwave said:
Well what if the portable NX sells 60 million units and the console version sells 15 million ... the unified platform thing kinda throws "what's successful" into a bit of a blender.

Which is probably part of the appeal to Nintendo. Now if the console sells like garbage, it doesn't really matter that much because they can still sell the same games to the wider audience that still buys Nintendo handhelds (though that group is shrinking).

Are those sales classed as good, because those are going to be around the same numbers Wii U and 3DS will do combined.

Around the Network

Yep, nothing stopping them.

They've lost some goodwill with the Wii U and general interest from the gaming public and third parties but nothing to that can't be reveresed with well designed hardware, top tier 1st party support from day 1 and some decent marking.

I see it as highly likely the NX will perform at least at Gamecube level. The Wii U had so much wrong with it, NX will effortlessly outperform it. Whether Nintendo could ever be a market leader again or be at least competitive with the market leader seems the more interesting question.

Qwark said:
Luke888 said:

Well Wii U is only 3 milion unit sold behind X1, they are kinda competing *escapes from the building jumping out of a window*

Well we should compare the X1 numbers of 2016 with Wii U's 2015 numbers for that, since the U launched a year earlier and for as far as I know the X1 kicked the Wii U's ass this entire year. And the console is competing with the PS4 where the Wii U really isn't with it's 3.5 million units a year.

that is true, because microsoft really drop their prices and have an X1 kinectless bundle to have a good competition aganist PS4 in the US market.  While Wii U still doesn't have a price drop and retaining their rediculous $299.99 console.  

OT: I would say Nintendo can produce a relevant console that has decent number of sales around N64 numbers.  They really need to have good specs that can bring 3rd party games to the NX system. 

Nintendo's consoles are highly relevant... leagues beyond flamebait.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

I think there's too many factors working against them, they would basically need a miracle gimmick for the console (and how would that work with a unified handheld?). 

Truthfully I think the new 1/2 pillars for Nintendo are are no.1 the portable NX and no.2 smartphone games. Those are the two things that will drive Nintendo's profits from 2016-2020+.

The console NX I think will be more like an accessorie for the portable NX, for the sake of Nintendo's past legacy and for the 15-18 million or so Nintendo fans that just must play Nintendo games on their TV. And it's no/low risk for Nintendo if the NX console is basically just a souped up version of the handheld chip that doesn't require it's own separate software development (as games will be shared).

It's kinda like Apple ... they make the iPod Touch, which doesn't really sell that much compared to the iPhone and iPad, but it's for people who don't want an iPhone or can't have an iPhone (ie: kids who are too young for a phone) and it keeps the iPod brand alive in a technical sense.

But in terms of competing, there are lots of problems namely by 2016, the PS4/XB1 will be past 80+ million in users and have a library of hundreds of games by then and probably be $299.99 in price. Just gonna be impossible for Nintendo to make much/any traction there, we saw how much trouble the GameCube had and the PS2 only had a year headstart/18 months (in Japan). This would be a full 3 year headstart.

That and the portable Nintendo systems are getting more and more powerful and more and more able to handle ALL the Nintendo IPs, not just bite sized/massively scaled down versions. The next Nintendo handheld will be able to handle fairly high-end 3D and do just about every Nintendo IP justice even in 3D on a large scale. So that really leaves the Nintendo console in a "does anyone really need this other than core Nintendo fanatics?" predicament.

It will really be hard for Nintendo to be relevant, even if they release it next year - supposedly when console sales start going down.
It will come down to how Nintendo is perceived around that time, how its competition is perceived and what NX brings, in terms of promises, games and HW, to the table.

I think that, most of all, it will come down to promise and what games we will find in NX.
The usual Nintendo games won't cut it; no meaningful (exclusive) 3rd party in the long run? Not going to cut it either.

They need to show that NX won't just be another neat HW filled with your typical Nintendo game.
That's when you'll get your average gamer attention!