By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Cops caught stealing and eating pot brownies, what should happen to them?

Stuff like this can make people question the motives of those that did it.

Does it count as evidence tampering as well? its not good thats for sure.

It needs to be punished harshly so people can have faith the law is being enforced for the right reasons.

Around the Network

Fired. 1) They broke the law they swore to uphold, 2) they're dumb as rocks clearly, and 3) police - having been entrusted with defending the people - must be held to a higher standard. People need to know they can trust the police. And this blatant case of idiotic evidence tampering damages that precinct's credibility and damages real, serious cases.

Obviously fired, and some additional punishment

jigokutamago said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Relax, its just weed.

Still pretty dumb to be taking drugs without a percription.

You must be loads of fun at parties!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Zappykins said:
sundin13 said:

"They were trying to claim that they had an 'expectation of privacy' and this it was ok for them to steal and destroy (eat) evidence."

...I don't think you (or whoever wrote this) understands what you are talking about

Hun?  They were claiming, through the Police Union, that the evidence against them was illegally obtained and they can not be prosecuted.  In California it is illegal to record someone without their consent, they were claiming the evidence of their wrongdoing could not be used because they did not give consent.

The judge rejected their claim. They can be prosecuted.

Other questions?

The statment "it was ok for them to steal and destroy evidence" is falacious and sensationalist. Like you said, this is a case of inadmissible evidence, not a defense. There is a huge difference between the two. A defense is essentially an excuse for the crime, such as a claim of self defense in a murder trial. This essentially makes what would have been a crime legal. Inadmissible evidence on the other hand simply strikes the evidence down (as well as the fruits of the poisonous tree) and allows the case to proceed if there is still enough evidence.

The language you used showed a clear lack of understanding or a clear spin. That misrepresentation is why I said that you didn't know what you are talking about.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
Zappykins said:
sundin13 said:

"They were trying to claim that they had an 'expectation of privacy' and this it was ok for them to steal and destroy (eat) evidence."

...I don't think you (or whoever wrote this) understands what you are talking about

Hun?  They were claiming, through the Police Union, that the evidence against them was illegally obtained and they can not be prosecuted.  In California it is illegal to record someone without their consent, they were claiming the evidence of their wrongdoing could not be used because they did not give consent.

The judge rejected their claim. They can be prosecuted.

Other questions?

The statment "it was ok for them to steal and destroy evidence" is falacious and sensationalist. Like you said, this is a case of inadmissible evidence, not a defense. There is a huge difference between the two. A defense is essentially an excuse for the crime, such as a claim of self defense in a murder trial. This essentially makes what would have been a crime legal. Inadmissible evidence on the other hand simply strikes the evidence down (as well as the fruits of the poisonous tree) and allows the case to proceed if there is still enough evidence.

The language you used showed a clear lack of understanding or a clear spin. That misrepresentation is why I said that you didn't know what you are talking about.

So you think it is acceptable behavior for the police to things normal citizen would get trouble:

Destroy Evidence - California law, Penal Code 135 PC, makes it a crime to destroy or conceal evidence that you know is relevant to a court case or legal investigation.

Take and distribute prescription medication with a perscription - 11350.  (a) Except as otherwise provided in this division, every person who possesses (1) any controlled substance specified in subdivision (b) or , or paragraph (1) of subdivision (f) of Section 11054, specified in paragraph (14), (15), or (20) of subdivision (d) of Section 11054, or specified in subdivision (b) or  of Section 11055, or specified in subdivision (h) of Section 11056, or (2) any controlled substance classified in Schedule III, IV, or V which is a narcotic drug, unless upon the written  prescription of a physician, dentist, podiatrist, or veterinarian licensed to practice in this state, shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 of the Penal Code.  (b) Except as otherwise provided in this division, every person who possesses any controlled substance specified in subdivision (e) of Section 11054 shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year or pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section

Possession of Marijuana in the USA - ANY amount. Unlike many states, the federal law does not qualify possession by amount. Possession of any amount of marijuana (even a single marijuana cigarette) is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of $1,000 on the first offense. The second offense carries a 15-day mandatory sentence, and can be extended for as long as two years in prison. Any possession after that gets a 90-day to three year prison term, and a $5,000 fine.

Plus, they are enforcing laws and harassing people with laws they clearly do not think should be enforced.

And by the way, their claim of inadmissible evidence has been thrown out by the judge.  Call it 'spin' if you want, it doesn't invalidate anything.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Bring them over here in the Philippines, where they can do some good. Lol!

Zappykins said:
sundin13 said:

So you think it is acceptable behavior for the police to things normal citizen would get trouble:

You seem to be struggling with reading comprehension. I merely took issue with how you represented the law. Getting evidence thrown out in no way makes a crime "okay", it simply makes it more difficult to be prosecuted. It is not in any way being forgiven for crimes that have been commited or an acknowledgement that what they did was "acceptable behavior".

They should be forced to eat more and more and more pot brownies until they get so fat, that they're forced to be kicked out of the police force.

sundin13 said:
Zappykins said:

You seem to be struggling with reading comprehension. I merely took issue with how you represented the law. Getting evidence thrown out in no way makes a crime "okay", it simply makes it more difficult to be prosecuted. It is not in any way being forgiven for crimes that have been commited or an acknowledgement that what they did was "acceptable behavior".

So, you are incapable of answer simple questions, but you want to be insulting. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

The thread is about ‘what should happen to them’ not ‘I don’t like the argument because I don’t like it, let me try to upset someone by being unnecessarily obtuse, tedious and cruel.'

yawn.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!