By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you care if NX didn't have physical backwards compatibility?

Would you care if NX didn't have physical backwards compatibility?

Yes, I would care 108 39.85%

I wouldn't mind 93 34.32%

It would bother me a little 58 21.40%

I don't care because I w... 12 4.43%

Total:271

Well, I would mind it. It probably wouldn't be a dealbreaker but I would certainly appreciate to have it.
If they create some way to tie my games (including the physical ones) to my account and let me have emulated backwards compatibility I wouldn't mind as much, but that's probably unlikely.

I got a ps3 very late into the generation, when the ps4 was already announced, If it had had bc I would have skipped the ps3 and gotten a ps4 at launch. Now I still dont have a ps4 and don't intend to buy one until there's more personal must have games for me, so bc does influence my console purchases.

Similarily bc and virtual console were major contributers to my decision to buy a WiiU.

Around the Network

If I bought the NX and it had BC it'd be the greatest thing ever for me as I get to play a lot of the good shit the Wii U got without having to buy the system cause dat Gamepad and Money.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I wouldn't mind because I own both Wii U and 3DS. But if means there's no gamepad/dual screens, it would suck.

RolStoppable said:

There's no chance that it will be all digital, because that would be commercial suicide. If right now over 80% of copies sold for games which are available in both physical and digital form would be digital, then it would be okay to say that there's a decent chance for no physical format on NX. But the actual rate for digital game sales is still well below 20%, so the market at large is clearly not ready for an all digital video game system.

There has also been a recent Reggie quote reaffirming that consumers still want a physical format, so that's what Nintendo will provide. I don't put much stock in what Reggie says, but with the actual sales numbers being what they are, it's safe to say that NX will have a physical format.

Doesn't mean anything. The primary format for music was CDs until Apple showed people the light with the ipod. It isn't going to be a smooth and gradual transition. It's a hard stop. And it won't be suicide. People aren't going to stop buying Mario Kart just because they can't slide in a disk. And Reggie's word was a physical "thing," before he went on to say "How that manifests itself in our future development we’ll see." If anything, this makes it clear that physical media for the NX isn't nearly as solid as you're making it out to be, because if it was, his wording would have been direct. "Physical media is here to stay" is what he would have said, but he didn't.

I speculated that Amiibo and NFC is the gateway to Nintendo's all digital future. That's the physical "thing." Instead of going to Gamestop and buying a disk, you'd go to gamestop and buy an NFC game card. Tap it on your NX's NFC reader and it unlocks a one time download code for the game. The cards are collectable just like a game disk is. Still digital. Still physical. But not really. Obviously it's really just digital with a collectible card.

If Nintendo has the balls to do it, that's how. And that's just for the console NX. I'm 100% sure the NXDS will be all digital. I'm 50/50 on the console.

I wouldn't care much even if it didn't have BC at all due to the transition from PowerPC to something else (x86 or ARM).

And to be honest, given Wii U's low userbase it's better to do it now rather than waiting to do it later. Less angry users.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

No, mainly because I have a Wii U and 3DS

Currently most hyped for: FFXV and Zelda U

That's what Wii Us and 3DSs are for. I'd rather that any manufacturing cost that would have gone into make BC work goes instead into the actual hardware.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

BC should be standard. The only reason we saw companies back away from it in the first place was because they wanted to resell them digitally and as "remastered" versions. Take a look at the first Animal Crossing on Gamecube. You could unlock, totally for free, multiple classic NES games like Zelda and Mario. Flash forward on generation when VC is a thing and bang, no more free games for little Johnny.

Same with Sony. At one point, they went on record right before the PS3 launched as saying that hardware BC would be a staple for the PS brand FOREVER. One year later, IT'S GONE.

Xbox 360? BC right out of the box. Xbox One? Nope... gone.

I'm glad that Xbox One is bringing it back (mostly due to losing WW but I don't care about motivations) because as consumers, we should all demand it. Progress shouldn't REMOVE features, it should add onto existing ones.

I hope it doesn't have and move along Wii U and 3DS. We want something completly new.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I would to an extent but it won't make or break it for me.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850