By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - So, 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Bombed harder than the Fantastic Four, are you surprised?

Not seen it yet, I expect good things, problem is with FF I didn't. That was poor. This I expect to be entertaining.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Someone already mentioned it but since it had a much smaller budget it didn't flop harder then Fan4stick.

The movie was excellent.
While it has a spy theme, the movie is much closer to a comedy than a serious action flick and thus not really comparable to any of the James Bond movies.

Not surprised. MI5 was the first course. Everyone knows the second course is Spectre.
UNCLE was an attempted snack, but people quickly realized their bellies were still full from the first course.

Signalstar said:
It didn't bomb at all. It skews towards an older audience who don't rush out to see movies at the theaters. It only cost $75 million (minus marketing) which is a lot less than Fantastic Four. It should make money in the end.

Very doubtful. It will need to get about $150 million globally to break even (probably more), and it's not looking good. Movies don't increase their audience in the second week, and starting at $13 million all but guarantees a sub $50 million run in the USA. I doubt the rest of the world will make up the difference, but it has been known to happen that movies do fairly poorly in the USA but make a lot of money across teh rest of the world. We'll see, but not a good start whatever the age demographic of the audience.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Mixed with having a strong showing by Mission Impossible, I think they underestimated opening against "Straight Out Of Compton" which had a huge opening. This felt like a "I'll watch it on DVD next year" film so not that surprised it did not do well.

binary solo said:

Very doubtful. It will need to get about $150 million globally to break even (probably more), and it's not looking good. Movies don't increase their audience in the second week, and starting at $13 million all but guarantees a sub $50 million run in the USA. I doubt the rest of the world will make up the difference, but it has been known to happen that movies do fairly poorly in the USA but make a lot of money across teh rest of the world. We'll see, but not a good start whatever the age demographic of the audience.

I'd say a 3rd of the film budget is pretty good. Mad Max was $150 mil and opened with $45mil in US, it still made lost of money. Rest of the World should make up a huge chunk of the budget anyway.

Hmm, pie.

I was hoping for some "Kingsman" buzz. Guess it didn't find it's audience. I went to see Straight Outta Compton, instead.

d21lewis said:
I was hoping for some "Kingsman" buzz. Guess it didn't find it's audience. I went to see Straight Outta Compton, instead.

It's been out like 3 days, people have to see it to buzz about it.

Straight Out of Compton isn't out anywhere else in the world and, honestly, not sure anyone outside the US cares about it either.

Let's all wait for the rest of the world box office before saying this movie has 'failed' shall we? Or get this, we wait until 2 months time when the box office has stopped. :P

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
d21lewis said:

It's been out like 3 days, people have to see it to buzz about it.

Straight Out of Compton isn't out anywhere else in the world and, honestly, not sure anyone outside the US cares about it either.

Let's all wait for the rest of the world box office before saying this movie has 'failed' shall we? Or get this, we wait until 2 months time when the box office has stopped. :P

Okay, okay! I'll go see the movie! Damn!