By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I moved and I found my childhood in a box (Warning: lots of pictures)

I think I can speak for us all by saying.. Holy shit.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Awesome stuff, great read. Now I'm in half a mind to ask my parents if they still have a box somewhere with my doodles lol.

Funny you went into architecture. I was mainly drawing bridges, designing huge fly overs spread out all over the floor. My parents thought I was going to be an architect, yet I turned to software development instead.

Too bad most of my early stuff was made on MSX, saved on tapes, MSX and tapes died. Among others I made a pac man version where you can shoot with power ups, a down scrolling space shooter and the beginnings of a text adventure. I've no clue what happened to the sketches unfortunately. Lucky find!

Btw it's never too late to become a programmer ;)

ganoncrotch said:
S.Peelman said:
JRPGfan said:

Did your dream of becomeing a game designer come true?

*btw you where a badass then.

Thanks. I never really had the idea to become a game designer, which is funny considering I made all these drawings. I had a pretty two-dimensional mind as a kid though. I figured designing games was something you could do if you lived in Japan.

Silly me.

I went on to study architecture instead.

Would say that even tho the field is different from Video games you clearly had grown up designing buildings and temples which no Architect could ever hope to build in their lifetime, some of those map drawings are incredible.

I spent quite a while looking at Toads freeway btw trying to figure out why it was called "DADs highway, was thinking was your father involved in making that, didn't see the styalized T doh!

Absolutely fantastic to read over them tho both the fantastically preserved drawings and sketches along with the amazing thought process that went along with them, thank you for sharing what I would imagine is probably done by a lot of kids (on a less fantastic scale) and just put to the side as they either grow up or get thrown away/lost by parents to be lost forever. Great to see a leap back to your childhood preserved so well.

Now that I've been thinking more about it today there are indeed some similarities. These drawings were based on Zelda and Mario Kart, but the process of designing those dungeons and these courses actually wasn't much unlike how I would now design a real building though obviously on a tiny scale. Good catch! It's funny to think that these old drawings could really have helped shape my future skills.

Lol yeah, Toad's a bit morphed there XD .

And thanks for the other kind words .

mtu9356 said:
Awesome work! But wheres the water temple? lol

I took pictures of everything, but I didn't post that one because there's about a hundred pages lol. It's a mess though. Like a real Water Temple would be I guess .

Tagging for later. I love stuff like this!

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Awesome stuff, great read. Now I'm in half a mind to ask my parents if they still have a box somewhere with my doodles lol.

Funny you went into architecture. I was mainly drawing bridges, designing huge fly overs spread out all over the floor. My parents thought I was going to be an architect, yet I turned to software development instead.

Too bad most of my early stuff was made on MSX, saved on tapes, MSX and tapes died. Among others I made a pac man version where you can shoot with power ups, a down scrolling space shooter and the beginnings of a text adventure. I've no clue what happened to the sketches unfortunately. Lucky find!

Btw it's never too late to become a programmer ;)

That's great! I can imagine it now, everything scattered across the floor lol.

A lucky find indeed, I hope you'll be as lucky with those sketches someday .

This post gave me a smile. Thanks for sharing.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

S.Peelman said:
ganoncrotch said:
S.Peelman said:
JRPGfan said:

Did your dream of becomeing a game designer come true?

*btw you where a badass then.

Thanks. I never really had the idea to become a game designer, which is funny considering I made all these drawings. I had a pretty two-dimensional mind as a kid though. I figured designing games was something you could do if you lived in Japan.

Silly me.

I went on to study architecture instead.

Would say that even tho the field is different from Video games you clearly had grown up designing buildings and temples which no Architect could ever hope to build in their lifetime, some of those map drawings are incredible.

I spent quite a while looking at Toads freeway btw trying to figure out why it was called "DADs highway, was thinking was your father involved in making that, didn't see the styalized T doh!

Absolutely fantastic to read over them tho both the fantastically preserved drawings and sketches along with the amazing thought process that went along with them, thank you for sharing what I would imagine is probably done by a lot of kids (on a less fantastic scale) and just put to the side as they either grow up or get thrown away/lost by parents to be lost forever. Great to see a leap back to your childhood preserved so well.

Now that I've been thinking more about it today there are indeed some similarities. These drawings were based on Zelda and Mario Kart, but the process of designing those dungeons and these courses actually wasn't much unlike how I would now design a real building though obviously on a tiny scale. Good catch! It's funny to think that these old drawings could really have helped shape my future skills.

Lol yeah, Toad's a bit morphed there XD .

And thanks for the other kind words .

Can only offer words for your shared memories sadly, wonder if you had copied some of these and sent them to Ninty R&D would you have gotten a reply, I been enjoying working through some of your dungeons, really is amazing work for a young Teen, you could maybe look to something like minecraft now to build some of these dungeons in 3d? or maybe some day there will be a super zelda maker and you can put your drawings and thoughts into a real Zelda game.

I don't think Nintendo now could allow your "pirate bay" area tho, knowing that kids would get stuck and have to google it :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ArchangelMadzz said:
I think I can speak for us all by saying.. Holy shit.

This basically 

These are awesome, how old were you?