By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We're Back (Update #8)! Coney & Blue's Excellent Adventure: Final Fantasy IX! Come Play Along!

Tagged games:

Conegamer said:
Anfebious said:
Don't even think about grinding, that's for pussies. Macho men don't grind levels in an area to get powerful.

PS: Seriously, you don't need even need to grind, the game is (for the most part) easy.

For sure. The difficulty is it's slow and without a healer it feels rather punishing. Were Garnet to come back (she might) it would be fine, but you know...

Level 12 right now. Dunno what Blue is at.

Don't be afraid to use items either. I used to hold up on using items because I would think they would be useful for later portions of the game... and that's never the case. Usually by the end of the game you don't even need those items... so use them!

Also, exploring an area thoroughly is almost the same as grinding. You just don't do it conciously so, just take your time and explore each area (get every chest) and you will get those levels naturally.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
KyleeStrutt said:
You newbs.

I got a summer job and got this game when it originally came out, was so mad it was PlayStation only, I wanted for the Dreamcast!

Advice?
Experiment with the jewel system (pretty sure that's not what its called) and gear, that levels up with you and you can get some cool quirks such as immunity to poison or increased attack power, you can only use so many at any given time but it can make the game easier, by doing this I was able to do 9999 points of damage with all my party on any attack by the end of the game.

You should've also took some time to grind by the start of the game, like after the ship crashes don't go after Garnet until you're level 5 or higher, there are many places to farm levels easily in the game so its important to explore too.

The Jewel system which I didn't mention before really is great. I love it! The Ogre is OP too Blue but I'd suggest getting the other one to learn that skill (it's unique). 

Thanks for the tip on exploration though. World Map seems pretty small but detailed which is good. The swamp was a nice find!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

The Jewel system which I didn't mention before really is great. I love it! The Ogre is OP too Blue but I'd suggest getting the other one to learn that skill (it's unique). 

Thanks for the tip on exploration though. World Map seems pretty small but detailed which is good. The swamp was a nice find!

You have to go to the swamp anyway as there is a party member there

KyleeStrutt said:
You newbs.

I got a summer job and got this game when it originally came out, was so mad it was PlayStation only, I wanted for the Dreamcast!

Advice?
Experiment with the jewel system (pretty sure that's not what its called) and gear, that levels up with you and you can get some cool quirks such as immunity to poison or increased attack power, you can only use so many at any given time but it can make the game easier, by doing this I was able to do 9999 points of damage with all my party on any attack by the end of the game.

You should've also took some time to grind by the start of the game, like after the ship crashes don't go after Garnet until you're level 5 or higher, there are many places to farm levels easily in the game so its important to explore too.

My first thought on the ability system was "Wow this is really neat! I wonder how much I can break this." It's a really cool and unique system but it's just begging for some amazingly broken combinations. One of the main reasons that I've been dragging around my old gear is for the abilities or for the synth system, it nevers feels like I'm carrying around dead weight. It's a good system, I like it.

KyleeStrutt said:

Conegamer said:

You have to go to the swamp anyway as there is a party member there

Yeah, already done that bit

Around the Network

Hmm. I may start play it again after reading all this. It's one of my favorite FF.

Aeolus451 said:
Hmm. I may start play it again after reading all this. It's one of my favorite FF.

You should! We've got a loooooong way to go but it's a lot of fun at the moment. Any advice as we continue our journey?

Btw scrubs, you can speed up the ATB system in the options menu.

and lvl 9 sounds very low for that point in the game. Make sure you don't flee from normal battles and you should level just fine.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

and lvl 9 sounds very low for that point in the game. Make sure you don't flee from normal battles and you should level just fine.

Not sure about Cone but I've set mine to fast. I think overall I've started to get used to it as I play more, I was bothered more about it around the time I started the game.

Leadified said:
outlawauron said:

Not sure about Cone but I've set mine to fast. I think overall I've started to get used to it as I play more, I was bothered more about it around the time I started the game.

Make sure to set it to Active instead of wait if you want it to be more intense or exciting. Have to realize that most turn based games at the time were slower than FF9.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.