By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For the first time, how long did it take you to memorize certain gaming controllers?

I actually had a hard time remembering where the face buttons were on their Playstation controller during play. In fact, I only own Nintendo systems so I still have a hard time remember where these buttons are. Triangle being ontop and circle usually meankng okay/confirm while X usually meaning cancel helps though. I was actually pleased that GoW Acension QTE place these buttons on screen according to their layout on the controller. I believe other GoW games didn't and that is actually unsettling for a newb like me. I'm sure I will remember the placement after I actually play more PS games though.

I also was confused with Xbox X and Y placement. A and B made sense but gaming in the SNES earlier made me switch them up a lot the first time I played Halo on my friend's OG Xbox. And the back buttons on the first xbox controller was weird.

So yeah, how did it take you guys to memorize the button placement of certain gaming controller?

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:

I actually had a hard time remembering where the face buttons were on their Playstation controller during play. In fact, I only own Nintendo systems so I still have a hard time remember where these buttons are. Triangle being ontop and circle usually meankng okay/confirm while X usually meaning cancel helps though. I was actually pleased that GoW Acension QTE place these buttons on screen according to their layout on the controller. I believe other GoW games didn't and that is actually unsettling for a newb like me. I'm sure I will remember the placement after I actually play more PS games though.

I also was confused with Xbox X and Y placement. A and B made sense but gaming in the SNES earlier made me switch them up a lot the first time I played Halo on my friend's OG Xbox. And the back buttons on the first xbox controller was weird.

So yeah, how did it take you guys to memorize the button placement of certain gaming controller?

oh really?

The ps2 and n64 controllers took me a while because they were the first ones I used. I can pretty much pick up any controller now though without trouble.

Barozi said:
t3mporary_126 said:

oh really?

Wait is it the other way around?

Switching from Nintendo controllers to an Xbox controller still messes me up. I can't get the X and Y placement down on either. Also having the rightmost button be the primary/confirm button on Nintendo controllers is still stupid to me. The bottom button that I rest on should always be the primary one, a la PS and Xbox.

Around the Network

A very short time... except for maybe the inverted ABXY - Xbox controllers. Actually, not really. I think I'm a natural gamer

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Not much the ps and nintendo controllers are easy to learn and to remember

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

t3mporary_126 said:
Barozi said:

oh really?

yeah X is usually confirm and O is cancel. (some Japanese games do it a bit different, MGS comes to my mind).
Same on Xbox, where it's A for confirm and B for cancel but they are on the same exact spot on the controller.

I know the PS controller but the Xbox not so much.. I can play FPS games because the buttons are in the same place but sports games i press the wrong button

mZuzek said:
t3mporary_126 said:

It depends.

You see, with Nintendo games and controllers, it's always been A (right) to confirm and B (down) to cancel.
On Microsoft consoles, it's always been A (down) to confirm and B (right) to cancel.

With PlayStation though, they've had quite the rollercoaster ride. During the PS1 and PS2 days, it was usually X (down) to confirm and triangle (up) to cancel, however there were lots of games that used O (right) to confirm and X (down) to cancel in order to make it easier for people who were used to the Nintendo standard. At the beginning of the PS3 era, I think they had pretty much established X and triangle to confirm and cancel respectively, but after Microsoft's dominance in the early 7th gen, they switched it to its current format, which is X (down) to confirm and O (right) to cancel.

Could be. I never owned a PS2, so can't really comment on that and I honestly don't remember much about the button layout in PS1 games.