By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For the first time, how long did it take you to memorize certain gaming controllers?

Any Nintendo controller is natural for me.

Xbox and PS controllers took me a while to learn, I gotta thank Dead Rising QTE to help me memorize the button layout

Around the Network

the only one i sometimes have trouble with is the Xbox controllers because they have A and B and X and Y in the Wrong positions, otherwise it has been an instant memorization.

I'm still not used to the WiiU. Sometimes you're on the gamepad, sometimes the wii mote vertical, other times horizontal, with or without the nunchuck. It doesn't help that it lists all the possible buttons for gamepad, wiimote and pro controller on the screen as prompts when all those buttons are available on the gamepad. Press x/y/a thanks for the help.

The only thing that trips me up sometimes on playstation is that certain Japanese games swap cancel and ok around compared to western games. Or maybe that was with remasters. Anyway I'm used to x being confirm and o to cancel.

Barozi said:
t3mporary_126 said:
Barozi said:

oh really?

Wait is it the other way around?

yeah X is usually confirm and O is cancel. (some Japanese games do it a bit different, MGS comes to my mind).
Same on Xbox, where it's A for confirm and B for cancel but they are on the same exact spot on the controller.

In Japan the norm is that circle is confirm and X is cancel. Usually they're swapped in the western version but some games retain the japanese layout (MGS, Final Fantasy VII). This was more frequent in the PS1 days.

SvennoJ said:
I'm still not used to the WiiU. Sometimes you're on the gamepad, sometimes the wii mote vertical, other times horizontal, with or without the nunchuck. It doesn't help that it lists all the possible buttons for gamepad, wiimote and pro controller on the screen as prompts when all those buttons are available on the gamepad. Press x/y/a thanks for the help.

The only thing that trips me up sometimes on playstation is that certain Japanese games swap cancel and ok around compared to western games. Or maybe that was with remasters. Anyway I'm used to x being confirm and o to cancel.

Yeah the nunchuck one is always screwy if a game supports all controller, but sideway Wiimote is simple due to its lack of options lol.

Fortunately this seems to only be an issue in multiplayer focus game but unfortunately Wii U would have benefitted with more single player games with different playstyle like Pikmin 3.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Wait is it the other way around?

It depends.

You see, with Nintendo games and controllers, it's always been A (right) to confirm and B (down) to cancel.
On Microsoft consoles, it's always been A (down) to confirm and B (right) to cancel.

With PlayStation though, they've had quite the rollercoaster ride. During the PS1 and PS2 days, it was usually X (down) to confirm and triangle (up) to cancel, however there were lots of games that used O (right) to confirm and X (down) to cancel in order to make it easier for people who were used to the Nintendo standard. At the beginning of the PS3 era, I think they had pretty much established X and triangle to confirm and cancel respectively, but after Microsoft's dominance in the early 7th gen, they switched it to its current format, which is X (down) to confirm and O (right) to cancel.

Excellent explanation! I think I can remember the Playstation controller now after your Nintendo comparison!

Using an XB controller for the first time took me awhile, maybe like a couple minutes?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

One week! hahaha

Pretty much all xbox- or playstation-like controllers that have 4 buttons in exactly the same size. I just cant remember them. Thats exactly why i have problems with the wii u gamepad and the pro controllers, too.

Edit. How long until i get realy used to them is a good question... a month maybe?

Playing: F1 2016 (PC), Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Watching: Hajime no Ippo, Attack on Titan (4th time)
Upcoming purchases in October:
-TBD

Even though the Playstation was my first console, I've always played way more on my nintendo handhelds. So to this day, whenever I pick up my playstation controllers I get the confirm and decline buttons wrong because they're exactly opposite of what they are on Nintendo systems.