By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - For the first time, how long did it take you to memorize certain gaming controllers?

t3mporary_126 said:
Barozi said:

oh really?

Wait is it the other way around?

X = cancel; O = confirm = JAP

O = cancel; X = confirm = US (maybe EU as well)

I have a Korean default PS3 version (ENU + east asian languages) and a US PS4, so switching on these systems is somewhat confusing at times. :D

Around the Network
gabzjmm23 said:
t3mporary_126 said:

Wait is it the other way around?

X = cancel; O = confirm = JAP

O = cancel; X = confirm = US (maybe EU as well)

I have a Korean default PS3 version (ENU + east asian languages) and a US PS4, so switching on these systems is somewhat confusing at times. :D

Is it possible that they switched that around in EU sometime? I feel like the original playstation had the JAP configuration, but the PS3 has the US one.

It took me more than a year to get used to having 360 pad buttons appearing in QTEs when using a ps3 pad on my pc (emulated as 360 pad).
Basic buttons were ok but i still get confused with the triggers.

I have played a lot of games with the nunchuck, but it would really be confusing for me to play with it for a certain time. And I don't have an XBOX but I know the buttons is opposite between Nintendo and MS.

With regard to playing games, my brother and I like Fifa games, he owns an XBOX, and I have PS systems. So when he came to my house, we would play versus. And he always complain on the button configuration between XBOX against PS. Maybe because I won more games than him. But I haven't played him on an XBOX.

I had very few problems with Nintendo controllers, it always felt so natural. Bonus points for the Gamecube controller, where the buttons literally felt differnt due to their different shapes

However, I have never been able in over 15 years to grasp the layout of an Playstation controller, I always have to look down on my pad to know which button I'm actually pressing. Cue the horror when playing any game on a playstation with QTE. Probably why so many games on my Playstations are turn-based in some way

Around the Network

I never really had trouble memorizing controller button schemes.

Wii U NNID:  CWegzz
3DS Friend Code:  4210-5277-5484
PSN:  Ronnoc4
Steam:  CWegz

NES - I think it took me a day or so until I 'got' this basic layout with Super Mario Bros.

Genesis - I never quite got 100% used to the standard Genesis controller, thankfully most games only required using A & B and ignored C.

SNES - Took quite some time, as it added X & Y, plus the R & L bumpers. Didn't help that most games could be played with just A & B. Link to the Past might have gotten me used to it, but took way longer than most.

PlayStation - Going from SNES to PlayStation was pretty easy, save for the shapes in place of letters; some rigorous Parappa & Tekken action had me memorizing the face buttons quickly.  The newest Dual Shock took a few days to adapt to, since they moved what is effectively the 'Pause' button to an odd spot. Was kind of a funny moment for me when I went back to my DS3 and found myself fumbling for the Start button in the wrong spot again.

N64 - I'm not sure whether Goldeneye or Ocarina of Time forced me to adapt to this monstrosity, but it happened quickly once I really got into one of them.

OG Xbox - Remember the original? I refused to touch 'em. The sleeker, improved controllers were pretty easy to get used to from PlayStation, almost instantaneous, but fuck those white & black buttons forever.

Dreamcast & GameCube - Never happened. Something about these controllers never felt right to me. Dreamcast felt cheap. GameCube felt odd; like, the D-pad was too small or something, the gigantic A button surrounded by little buttons...nah, I just hated it, even more than the N64 controller. I sucked at GC games purely because I just couldn't stop thinking about how much I didn't like the controller, how the triggers felt, etc.

Wii - Seemed like an instant transition, though I never really liked the odd feeling of having my left hand free from the right with the nunchuk, if that makes any sense. The classic controller was a magical accessory for this system, instantly felt good in my hands with no learning curve. (Still don't really know what those Z nubs by the bumpers do.)

The only issue I remember having is when I was a kid and I always confused Square and Circle with each other. I thought they looked a little bit too similar and the pink/red colour didn't help either. But I haven't had a problem since.

X and Triangle are easy but I sometimes have a bit of trouble with Square and Circle. That's mainly because I tend to remember buttons by function rather than what's printed on them. Like, Jump or Reload or Menu, depending on the game. Usually takes me a little while to learn a new game if it uses a different layout because of that. That's also why I despise QTEs--I'm thinking of these buttons in terms of effect, not non-immersive labels.

Nothing is worse than QTEs on PC, though. Seriously, fuck you Tomb Raider.

-The unholly triorce Sega, Nintendo and MS using all the same colors and character button layout (A, B, Y, X) except switched them around with each platform holder. Yeah with these i still have problems remembering, i own a dreamcast, first xbox and snes and you should know what i mean.

- Neo Geo CD controller uses also the same color but its A B C D which is much less confusing for me.

- PlayStation is the least confusing for me from all these systems. And its easiest to remember and its more vissuially appealing to my eyes.