By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: Sony buying third party games, all to do with money, not market share

Price is based on market share....

Spin Spencer at it again.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
But in another thread it was revealed that MS must pay trillions for exclusive content because they are trailing WW. Do I believe them, or Phillip Spencer?

Well like most things there's probably a happy medium in reality between the two extremes.  I find it extremely hard to belivee that the number of consoles that a game will miss releasing on when it goes exclusive does not factor into the cost unless every third party making this decision is an idiot.

Yeah No. If we factor in opportunity cost, labor and time management(things that aren't real money but could be directly contributing to money spent, saved or gained) a lot of developers would rather go PS4 especially those from Japan knowing a userbase of 13M of which aren't exactly the greatest supporter of non-shooter games) won't exactly set the charts on fire. They could be doing something else more worthwhile than trying to dig for fools' gold in an emptied cave. A logistical nightmare happened for most devs in Japan last gen trying to reach out westrfn audiences on Xbox 360 that  never existed in the first place. What's the point doing the same routine again? 

Edit wrong person to reply. lol

Oh of course not, what is important is where the game will sell the most. Now, it's most certainly just a coincidence that a game usually sells the most on the console with the biggest userbase, so Phil is completely correct!

I really really like you Phil stop saying dumb things, just... please!

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

captain carot said:
Well, at least exclusives that already released or are near final probably where out of that market share thingy.

Because when Sony made the Bloodborne deal no one knew how it would turn out. And when Sony and Capcom made their SF V deal it was probably the same, because that might have been at least two years ago.

As for deals that are made right know, i can't really believe install bases don't matter. I'd bet they do make some nice projectcions and estimates where install bases willbe at the release and that this affects the price of those deals.

As for street fighter, that game is also coming to PC. We have no idea when that deal was made. It could have been made 3 weeks before PSX for all we know. 

And you seem to be mixing up Third party exclusive deals in general with 2nd party development. Bloodborne, is published by Sony. developed by from software. It will never be on another platform. Kinda the same way we will never see scalebound on any other platform. ever. Tomb raider will come to PS4. The next Titanfall may even end up having PS4 exclusive content....

Around the Network

I never liked him always saw through that acting and saw the real smug douche MS corporate that he is. True colors coming out it seems. He does spin bs quite well.

LudicrousSpeed said:
But in another thread it was revealed that MS must pay trillions for exclusive content because they are trailing WW. Do I believe them, or Phillip Spencer?

I don't even

If share leads to support then it stands to reason that the only way to stand in the way of that support is money.

2+2=4

Ka-pi96 said:
RenCutypoison said:

MIcrosoft : "Japan ? Is that one of these Pokemon I keep hearing about ?"

He might think that because they had to buy Blue Dragon and Idolm@ster and are still salty it didn't work.

Well comparing Xbox 360 to One sales it looks like it worked a whole lot. Not enough to compete with Sony/Nintendo there, but without doing that they can't even sell 1k a week.

Well, given that they had to "buy" 3 games that i remember of (well mystro made me remember lost odyssey) and that they kinda tried with marketing back then, I'm not sure One is less profitable than 360 in Japan (I just remembered they got Cave's shmups too, but they didn't need to buy these the sticks were just the best for shmups at the time)

Whatttttttttt?
lmao
Look at 360 gen...
lol
Look at Xbone "exclusivas" games...
Are you kidding Phil?

First moar at gamescom
Now that

I can't stop... sorry

He talked about market share, and everyone that is replying is talking about userbase.

While they are connected, they are not the same thing.
Also, there are many other factors that have their own weight too, such as: userbase preference, date, other games releasing in the same moment, potential for selling systems, etc.

Not saying he is right, but there are other important factors, and they may outweigh market share.