By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What you think of Crackdown's Cloud Computing?

binary solo said:
I'm not a fan of halfway house processing. But if it's going to be implemented then implementing it for modes that require you to be online regardless of cloud processing (like online MP modes) is really the only way to do it.

What's the minimum internet speed required for cloud processing to work? I presume the speed minimums are different depending on what the cloud-side processing is being tasked with. Also how does ping affect this? If the processing is being done halfway round the world then the ping can be very high even when things are running with optimal efficiency? I assume MS will have processing cpacaity located all over the world so that the max ping is kept as low as possible.

My guess is that it won't be highly demanding on bandwidth but latency is crucial here. There will be some API call with some data in it, the cloud computes via algorithm your data point and sends back "some" data so your engine can deal effectively and efficiently with it. You won't send "frames" or "images" to the cloud.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Ruler said:
I wouldnt trust MS with what they are saying about the cloud, if it exist why havent they used to make 1080P games so far? And if its really going to be improved with the cloud i wouldnt support such games. This generation is allready enough dependent on servers.

Is this real life? 1080p with the cloud? Whoever promised that?!

The tech itself is limited with what you can do in realtime. Rendering a frame is something different than offloading demanding things to a remote server.

Yes it possible, they could stream the poligons and let the local hardware render the resolution. Just an example

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:
Ruler said:
I wouldnt trust MS with what they are saying about the cloud, if it exist why havent they used to make 1080P games so far? And if its really going to be improved with the cloud i wouldnt support such games. This generation is allready enough dependent on servers.

Is this real life? 1080p with the cloud? Whoever promised that?!

The tech itself is limited with what you can do in realtime. Rendering a frame is something different than offloading demanding things to a remote server.

Yes it possible, they could stream the poligons and let the local hardware render the resolution. Just an example

No, this is not even remotely possible. "Stream the polygons" - we live in 2015, not 1995.

walsufnir said:
Ruler said:

No, this is not even remotely possible. "Stream the polygons" - we live in 2015, not 1995.

So what do you think Crackdown is supposed to stream? poligons falling apart?

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:

Data. Finished computed data and positions how the destruction will be. Taking away the dynamic, computational hard work with already calculated data so the game only has to render it, without computing it itself.

It is worded "cloud computing" because you offload complex math to it. Not to have a constant stream of data. With this, you end up with a high latency game streaming like PSNow.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
walsufnir said:

stop while you are ahead :D

I don't think you need to worry about the servers shutting down. It runs on Azure and as the servers get upgraded this will take less and less resources. Ofcourse when your internet or wifi gets interrupted stuff might simply keep falling in the same direction and only interact with the floor or simply disappear. Stuff might lag around too just like in any other multiplayer game when your connection has trouble. Of course we don't know yet what the bandwidth requirements are and how high up it can go during massive destruction.

Anyway considering this was already possible on a single pc in 2011

It's a bit of a shock they need so many servers in 2015 to make a better version.

I'm also wondering how far back they'll have to dial it to get within a decent bandwidth limit and to avoid overloading the GPU with the extra pieces that all still need their own lighting, texturing and shadowing. It's already a far more conservative version than the initial prototype when it comes to breaking stuff up into pieces.

In the new build some stuff simply disappears, for example when the tower hits the building most of the support struts and windows vanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nZ1xYyj6A at 1:56

I looks very cool regardless, yet how well it will be suited to actual gameplay I dunno. Hopefully it doesn't follow red faction in betting everything on total destruction.

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:

Bruh... xD

Ruler said:
walsufnir said:

SvennoJ said:

I don't think you need to worry about the servers shutting down. It runs on Azure and as the servers get upgraded this will take less and less resources. Ofcourse when your internet or wifi gets interrupted stuff might simply keep falling in the same direction and only interact with the floor or simply disappear. Stuff might lag around too just like in any other multiplayer game when your connection has trouble. Of course we don't know yet what the bandwidth requirements are and how high up it can go during massive destruction.

Anyway considering this was already possible on a single pc in 2011

It's a bit of a shock they need so many servers in 2015 to make a better version.

I'm also wondering how far back they'll have to dial it to get within a decent bandwidth limit and to avoid overloading the GPU with the extra pieces that all still need their own lighting, texturing and shadowing. It's already a far more conservative version than the initial prototype when it comes to breaking stuff up into pieces.

In the new build some stuff simply disappears, for example when the tower hits the building most of the support struts and windows vanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_nZ1xYyj6A at 1:56

I looks very cool regardless, yet how well it will be suited to actual gameplay I dunno. Hopefully it doesn't follow red faction in betting everything on total destruction.

I think the most interesting part is that it actually works. To which amount and how they will use it, we don't know yet as we were presented alpha footage and the tech itself isn't limited to calculate destructions. By now we only got an example that you can offload calculations to the cloud in a game.