By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Recommend me a book

psychicscubadiver said:

Anansi Boys- A tale of the modern world interacting with mythology come to life, and one man's journey to find the spark he lost as a child. Very cleverly written and full of humor. I'd suggest most thing by Neil Gaiman, but this is one of his finest.

Read American Gods first, though.

Around the Network
CladInShadows said:

psychicscubadiver said:

Anansi Boys- A tale of the modern world interacting with mythology come to life, and one man's journey to find the spark he lost as a child. Very cleverly written and full of humor. I'd suggest most thing by Neil Gaiman, but this is one of his finest.

Read American Gods first, though.

Eh, you really don't have to. The only connection is that Fat Charlie's Father is a minor character in American Gods.

I read Anansi Boys first and lost nothing in the process.

There are still people who read books? :D

Yeah. I don't like being tide with a series that goes on and on for the ending to be, obviously, protagonists wins and everyone's happy and such. I also like bad endings or anti-heroes type of things, never enjoyed good guys winning

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Yeah. I don't like being tide with a series that goes on and on for the ending to be, obviously, protagonists wins and everyone's happy and such. I also like bad endings or anti-heroes type of things, never enjoyed good guys winning

In the interest of sounding like a broken record; The Book Thief. I think you'll like it. It's a fictional story about a girl living in Nazi Germany and it's very very good

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network
Slarvax said:

Then a few more with a bit of darkness to them, with descriptions from Amazon:

--------

The Lies of Locke Lamora  by Scott Lynch

An orphan’s life is harsh—and often short—in the mysterious island city of Camorr. But young Locke Lamora dodges death and slavery, becoming a thief under the tutelage of a gifted con artist. As leader of the band of light-fingered brothers known as the Gentleman Bastards, Locke is soon infamous, fooling even the underworld’s most feared ruler. But in the shadows lurks someone still more ambitious and deadly. Faced with a bloody coup that threatens to destroy everyone and everything that holds meaning in his mercenary life, Locke vows to beat the enemy at his own brutal game—or die trying.

The Alienist: A Novel  by Caleb Carr

The year is 1896, the place, New York City. On a cold March night New York Times reporter John Schuyler Moore is summoned to the East River by his friend and former Harvard classmate Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, a psychologist, or "alienist." On the unfinished Williamsburg Bridge, they view the horribly mutilated body of an adolescent boy, a prostitute from one of Manhattan's infamous brothels.

The newly appointed police commissioner, Theodore Roosevelt, in a highly unorthodox move, enlists the two men in the murder investigation, counting on the reserved Kreizler's intellect and Moore's knowledge of New York's vast criminal underworld. They are joined by Sara Howard, a brave and determined woman who works as a secretary in the police department. Laboring in secret (for alienists, and the emerging discipline of psychology, are viewed by the public with skepticism at best), the unlikely team embarks on what is a revolutionary effort in criminology-- amassing a psychological profile of the man they're looking for based on the details of his crimes. Their dangerous quest takes them into the tortured past and twisted mind of a murderer who has killed before. and will kill again before the hunt is over.

Swan Song  by Robert R. McCammon

Swan Song is rich with such characters as an ex-wrestler named Black Frankenstein, a New York City bag lady who feels power coursing from a weird glass ring, a boy who claws his way out of a destroyed survivalist compound. They gather their followers and travel toward each other, all bent on saving a blonde girl named Swan from the Man of Many Faces. Swan Song is often compared to Stephen King's The Stand, and for the most part, readers who enjoy one of the two novels, will enjoy the other. Like The Stand, it's an end-of-the-world novel, with epic sweep, apocalyptic drama, and a cast of vividly realized characters. But the tone is somewhat different: The good is sweeter, the evil is more sadistic, and the setting is harsher, because it's the world after a nuclear holocaust. Swan Song won a 1988 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel. It's a monster of a horror book, brimming over with stories and violence and terrific imagery--God and the Devil, the whole works.

The Doomsday Book  by Connie Willis

This new book by Hugo- and Nebula-award-winning author Willis ( Lincoln's Dreams ) is an intelligent and satisfying blend of classic science fiction and historical reconstruction. Kivrin, a history student at Oxford in 2048, travels back in time to a 14th-century English village, despite a host of misgivings on the part of her unofficial tutor. When the technician responsible for the procedure falls prey to a 21st-century epidemic, he accidentally sends Kivrin back not to 1320 but to 1348--right into the path of the Black Death. Unaware at first of the error, Kivrin becomes deeply involved in the life of the family that takes her in. But before long she learns the truth and comes face to face with the horrible, unending suffering of the plague that would wipe out half the population of Europe. Meanwhile, back in the future, modern science shows itself infinitely superior in its response to epidemics, but human nature evidences no similar evolution, and scapegoating is still alive and well in a campaign against "infected foreigners."

------------

All of these are very good books and award winners.  The Doomsday Book, especially, is one I suggest everyone read.  A student from modern day England who is supposed to go back in time to study life during a quiet period ends up right in the teeth of the Black Plague.  It's graphic and chilling as she tries to help the villagers around her and slowly comes to realize what kind of hell she is up against.  The author did a great deal of research trying to recreate the horror of a plague that wiped out entire villages and towns.

Do you want to play with my balls?

It's a very educational and entertaining read. Actually gave me new meaning in life.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

A Universe from Nothing - Lawrence Krauss
The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan (last 3 books written by Brandon Sanderson)
The Sword of Truth Series - Terry Goodkind
The Otherland series - Tad Williams
The Hyperion Quadrilogy - Dan Simmons
This Alien Shore - CS Friedman
Helmet for my Pillow (From Parris Island to the Pacific) - By Robert Leckie
With the Old Breed (at Peleliu and Okinawa) by DB Sledge
Biggest Brother (The Life of Major Dick Winters) - By Larry Alexander
Band of Brothers - by Stephen E. Ambrose
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

A Thousand Splendid Suns is one of my all time favorites. 80s Afghanistan theme about racism, sexism, and a great story and characters.

The divide. Cool fantasy book about boy crossing into fantasy world through a divide.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

mornelithe said:
A Universe from Nothing - Lawrence Krauss
The Wheel of Time series - Robert Jordan (last 3 books written by Brandon Sanderson)
The Sword of Truth Series - Terry Goodkind
The Otherland series - Tad Williams
The Hyperion Quadrilogy - Dan Simmons
This Alien Shore - CS Friedman
Helmet for my Pillow (From Parris Island to the Pacific) - By Robert Leckie
With the Old Breed (at Peleliu and Okinawa) by DB Sledge
Biggest Brother (The Life of Major Dick Winters) - By Larry Alexander
Band of Brothers - by Stephen E. Ambrose
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Otherland is awesome, anyone with interest in openworld games and VR should read it. It's long (4 volumes) like most of those up there though.
Recommending the wheel of time is a bit cheeky. It's 12,000 pages, 14 volumes written over 23 years. I enjoyed every minute of it, but to recommend it as the 6th book to read in your lifetime :)

Otherland the video game still seems alive. I doesn't look or feel anything like the books however.

A free to play mmorpg stuck in development hell, the books deserve so much better.

Reminds me of the disappointment Rendezvous with Rama the video game was. All you did was find puzzle pieces to solve increasingly more difficult abstract logic puzzles. Felt more like taking an endless IQ test than exploring an alien ship.

The books are great though.

Starship Titanic had better luck getting converted into a video game. The last where you could freely talk to the characters and get a sensible response, not having to choose from preset dialogue options.

A remake of that with voice to text control could be very interesting.

I'm currently reading The witcher series. Playing the video game first does have its side effects. It's nice already knowing the characters, yet it also interferes with building my own impression of the world. Everything feels small now :/

Lots of games have been inspired by books. At least they generally fare a lot better than movie tie ins.

Oh and for a good detective thriller, read The girl with the dragon tattoo (don't watch the movie)