By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why i buy Physical games.

@xl-klaudkil

I agree with your points; however I think you turned your argument more towards unfinished games (AC Unity, Batman, patches etc) rather than digital vs physical game purchases. 

Resistance Fall of Man is a prime example of a series of games that I bought physical copies of, yet the online servers have been taken down.    The online portion of a game going down has nothing to do with whether or not you buy the game as a physical or digital copy.

I have always been a huge fan of physical games as you have described in your video; however, I think digital copies have a place in the gaming community.  Most would argue that you never officially own the digital game, but rather, the rights to download a copy of the game.  You therefore can never sell this game and get your money back.  I completely agree with this way of thinking.

However, Playstation has provided a system that you can share your games with one other person.  If you and another person agree on buying a certain game, say Call of Duty, then you can simply split the cost of a $60 dollar game.  Now anybody who has resold their game can tell you that you will NEVER get $30 back on a retail game unless if you sell it back day 1.  I therefore firmly believe that digital games have their place in the gaming community, and this one example is the only example where I see it having a leg up on physical games by the simple fact that you get the same for less.  If my friend doesn't want to split the cost of the game with me, then I would most certainly buy a physical copy of the game.

Around the Network
Ruler said:
garretslarrity said:

What you say is not incorrect, but it does not tell the whole story.  As the Ubisoft representative recently said, publishers intentionally reduce the price of retail copies so they sell out in stores.  Therefore, the retailers are willing to make larger orders when the next game comes out.  Digital copies should cost less than physical copies, because there is no disc, manual, box, boxart, shipping costs, and most importantly, no retailer's cut.  Publishers are giving in to retailer's demands, and it's hurting gamers.

How is it hurting gamers? we get the right to sell or to burrow our games

I'm not saying gamers are hurt by the option of physical copies.  I'm saying gamers are hurt by the price manipulation of digital copies.  As I have proven earlier, digital copies should cost significantly less than physical copies, but publishers force the digital copies to be the same price, or even higher, than the physical copies.

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Jimbo1337 said:

@xl-klaudkil

I agree with your points; however I think you turned your argument more towards unfinished games (AC Unity, Batman, patches etc) rather than digital vs physical game purchases. 

Resistance Fall of Man is a prime example of a series of games that I bought physical copies of, yet the online servers have been taken down.    The online portion of a game going down has nothing to do with whether or not you buy the game as a physical or digital copy.

I have always been a huge fan of physical games as you have described in your video; however, I think digital copies have a place in the gaming community.  Most would argue that you never officially own the digital game, but rather, the rights to download a copy of the game.  You therefore can never sell this game and get your money back.  I completely agree with this way of thinking.

However, Playstation has provided a system that you can share your games with one other person.  If you and another person agree on buying a certain game, say Call of Duty, then you can simply split the cost of a $60 dollar game.  Now anybody who has resold their game can tell you that you will NEVER get $30 back on a retail game unless if you sell it back day 1.  I therefore firmly believe that digital games have their place in the gaming community, and this one example is the only example where I see it having a leg up on physical games by the simple fact that you get the same for less.  If my friend doesn't want to split the cost of the game with me, then I would most certainly buy a physical copy of the game.

not most Nintendo 1st party games.  Many games never go below $30 at any point.  

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Let's get physical, physical, let's get physical,physical, I wanna get physical.....

what good is physical when it takes 5gb+ worth of updates to make it playable.
- Industry in general

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Mummelmann said:

You think a PS4, Wii U or Xbox One will survive 20 years or that there will plenty available for purchase in two decades?

Conina; I only have a 500GB SSD for game disc on my new rig and I'm having zero problems, I don't exactly need to install all my games at once and I don't download TV shows or movies often either. And if I do, I bought a dirt cheap external HDD recvently, there's room for 500GB of media on that as well.
Oh, and I have a 500GB HDD on my laptop as well for media, won't be having troubles any time soon.
I wanted a fast gaming disc rather than a huge one, there's no need for it.

Should it be an issue though, I also have two 1TB drivers and one 320GB HDD lying around here.

You can still buy Sega Megadrives for 20-30€ on Amazon and how many consoles were sold of them? 30-40 million?

These new consoles in fact will be way cheaper to buy later on.

-You wont need to look for specific video cables because they use now all HDMI which by the way gives you the best picture quality unlike older consoles standard composite cables.

- no memorycards because they allready have hardrives which again are using sata standard.

- and most of them have no external powersupply anymore.

I think you'll find that the complexity of modern electronics and overall life expectancy of modern consoles has changed a fair bit since the Mega Drive days, it simply cannot be compared.

Like old cars; the reason old muscle cars still work today and are easy to keep on working is their rudimentary and coarse build style and lack of sensitive technology, the same can be said for modern consumer electronics. Even washing machines and fridges have a lot shorter life cycles today due to added features and tech, there is a crossing point in convenience and advanced tech overtaking the desire to build something long-lasting and/or the ability to make increased functionality and tech working, consumer habbits have also changed, which is reflected in the longevity of the products themselves.

A PS4, Xbox One and Wii U can't really be compared to a NES, Mega Drive, Amiga 500 and 1200 etc. Modern mobile phones are also a great example of decreased life cycles in consumer electronics, and you'll find a similar trend across almost all areas of electronics; within consumer electronics they also account for the increased tendency to shop for newer and more popular models and upgrades, leading manufacturers with less of a need to build lasting components and products.

Like I said; huge difference, early 90's versus today cannot be compared directly like this and a PS4, One or Wii U will likely be a thing of immense obscurity in 20 years.

Mummelmann said:
Ruler said:

You can still buy Sega Megadrives for 20-30€ on Amazon and how many consoles were sold of them? 30-40 million?

These new consoles in fact will be way cheaper to buy later on.

-You wont need to look for specific video cables because they use now all HDMI which by the way gives you the best picture quality unlike older consoles standard composite cables.

- no memorycards because they allready have hardrives which again are using sata standard.

- and most of them have no external powersupply anymore.

I think you'll find that the complexity of modern electronics and overall life expectancy of modern consoles has changed a fair bit since the Mega Drive days, it simply cannot be compared.

Like old cars; the reason old muscle cars still work today and are easy to keep on working is their rudimentary and coarse build style and lack of sensitive technology, the same can be said for modern consumer electronics. Even washing machines and fridges have a lot shorter life cycles today due to added features and tech, there is a crossing point in convenience and advanced tech overtaking the desire to build something long-lasting and/or the ability to make increased functionality and tech working, consumer habbits have also changed, which is reflected in the longevity of the products themselves.

A PS4, Xbox One and Wii U can't really be compared to a NES, Mega Drive, Amiga 500 and 1200 etc. Modern mobile phones are also a great example of decreased life cycles in consumer electronics, and you'll find a similar trend across almost all areas of electronics; within consumer electronics they also account for the increased tendency to shop for newer and more popular models and upgrades, leading manufacturers with less of a need to build lasting components and products.

Like I said; huge difference, early 90's versus today cannot be compared directly like this and a PS4, One or Wii U will likely be a thing of immense obscurity in 20 years.

I disagree, look at PC hardware. My old celeron laptop from 12 years ago is still working, same with an original xbox which i have bought used. Both of these consoles have now x86 architecture which is very reliable, probably one of the most longliving cpu architectures. And having gpu and cpu melted together ellimitaes another huge risk. Just look how simple a ps4 motherboard looks like on the internet. With the xbox one current model there might will be problems in the future because it has a lot more components on its motherboard.

Tachikoma said:

- Industry in general

Most games are playable without any patch. Games were always broken. Silent Hill 2 is broken and yet still loved by fans, most of them dont even relialize it. Look at the crazy speedruns on the internet who abuse all kinds of bugs and exploits for older games

Ruler said:
Tachikoma said:

- Industry in general

Most games are playable without any patch. Games were always broken. Silent Hill 2 is broken and yet still loved by fans, most of them dont even relialize it. Look at the crazy speedruns on the internet who abuse all kinds of bugs and exploits for older games

There has been a few games recently that have game breaking bugs if unpatched.

Have to say while I love Physical copies of games, having a Vita you pretty much have to consider going digital if you aren't living in a big city I think. The 3 game shops in my area have had the same handfull of launch titles for the Vita for the past 12 months at the same price on their shelf.

I could never really excuse going to a store to buy something like DOA5ultimate for the Vita for 40euros when it was on sale on the store for €4 my love of physical games is less than my love of money :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive