By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why i buy Physical games.

Conina said:
Eddie_Raja said:
I love my digital games on Steam/Origin/Uplay, but that is because they are better than Physical on PC:
-Saves sync across my laptop and desktop
-Games cost less
-It is super easy to download them fast and mod them

On console there are NO pluses to Digital. As such, there is no point besides convenience - kinda since you can go down to the store and get the game. Only on Vita is digital cheaper and easier, and so it makes some sense.

There are LESS pluses to digital on console than on PC, but there are a few:

- not having to change the disc/module: it may be a minor inconvenience for you and me and many others to stand up and change the disc/module on a home console. But it's a much bigger hassle for someone who is immobile (bound to bed, wheelchair...) or if you stream the game to another room (WiiU off-TV, PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/PSTV/Smartphone, XBO to PC/tablet) within your WLAN or even globally (PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/Smartphone). On handhelds digital versions are also very convenient because you don't have to carry around a bunch of modules additional to the device... and perhaps even lose some of them.

- it allows SharePlay to more than one game (the client has access to the whole digital library, but only to the 1 retail game that is inserted); the same goes for Steam Family Sharing and I'm sure Microsoft and Nintendo are working on similar sharing options, preferentially for their digital games.

- it allows cross-buy: many games you buy on PSN are cross-buy while the retail versions of the same games aren't cross-buy. Because cross-buy retail titles without account binding would only work if they include several discs/modules in the retail version... a PS3/PS4/Vita-game would at least need the Vita-module and a hybrid-disc with the PS3 + PS4 version (or two separate discs).

- the retail version of a PS1 game can be played only on PlayStation home consoles, the digital version of a PS1 game can be played only on PlayStation home consoles. The retail version of a PSP game can be played only on PSP, the digital version of a PSP game can be played on PSP, Vita and PSTV. Some digital versions of (smaller) XBO games will also be playable on Windows10-PCs and tablets, some even on WindowsPhone 10... Microsoft just announced it.

- it allows gaming subscriptions like PS+ and Games with Gold and EA Access, which are a great deal for gamers and for participating indie developers (their game is a whole month in the spotlight and can build a fanbase, which will help their following releases a lot)... can you imagine a similar subscription model in retail? Sony or Microsoft sending you 2 - 6 retail games every month and you don't have to send them back until you cancel that subscription... all for $3 - $5 per month?

- most small indie games would have failed horribly without digital distribution, no matter how fun and perfect they are. Good luck finding a publisher for a small game which shall be sold around $10, ... it would go under in retail, most retailers wouldn't give it much shelve space and the shipping/packaging costs would be out of all proportion. Sure, some indie games were released at retail for collectors, but only additional to the digital distribution and only after they have proven themself as success.

-Haha really changing disc too hard for you buddy?  Please I always laugh at that one.  Unless you need multiple discs for the same game it is a non-issue.

-Cross-buy is nice, but it isn't the standard.  Meanwhile on PC EVERY game is endlessly backwards compatible on Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, and even sometimes mac and Linux.

-PS+ is nice, but isn't a valid point for pro digital.  People will take FREE from any form lol.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network

Eddie_Raja said:

-Haha really changing disc too hard for you buddy?  Please I always laugh at that one.  Unless you need multiple discs for the same game it is a non-issue.

Please read again... it's not a big deal for me (when I'm at home in the same room), but it can be a big deal for others! And it IS a problem if I'm not at home to change the disc (remote play, share play).

"it may be a minor inconvenience for you and me and many others to stand up and change the disc/module on a home console. But it's a much bigger hassle for someone who is immobile (bound to bed, wheelchair...) or if you stream the game to another room (WiiU off-TV, PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/PSTV/Smartphone, XBO to PC/tablet) within your WLAN or even globally (PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/Smartphone). On handhelds digital versions are also very convenient because you don't have to carry around a bunch of modules additional to the device... and perhaps even lose some of them."

-Cross-buy is nice, but it isn't the standard.  

It don't have to be the standard. You wrote that there are "NO pluses to digital on consoles", and cross-buy IS a plus for many games on consoles, even if you try to ignore it.

-PS+ is nice, but isn't a valid point for pro digital.  People will take FREE from any form lol.

It is a valid point for pro digital. These deals wouldn't be possible for retail versions. Again, it IS a plus for many games on consoles, and you try to ignore / downplay it.

Conina said:

Eddie_Raja said:

Please read again... it's not a big deal for me (when I'm at home in the same room), but it can be a big deal for others! And it IS a problem if I'm not at home to change the disc (remote play, share play).

"it may be a minor inconvenience for you and me and many others to stand up and change the disc/module on a home console. But it's a much bigger hassle for someone who is immobile (bound to bed, wheelchair...) or if you stream the game to another room (WiiU off-TV, PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/PSTV/Smartphone, XBO to PC/tablet) within your WLAN or even globally (PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/Smartphone). On handhelds digital versions are also very convenient because you don't have to carry around a bunch of modules additional to the device... and perhaps even lose some of them."

-Cross-buy is nice, but it isn't the standard.  

It don't have to be the standard. You wrote that there are "NO pluses to digital on consoles", and cross-buy IS a plus for many games on consoles, even if you try to ignore it.

It is a valid point for pro digital. These deals wouldn't be possible for retail versions. Again, it IS a plus for many games on consoles, and you try to ignore / downplay it.

I'm sorry do you think I am Anti-Digital and don't want it to progress?  I have never said that.  I am merily saying that it is still the overall inferior option for console gamers.  Nothing more.  Sorry if you have a chip on your shoulder about it but most people will continue to buy Physical over digital whenever they have the option until the things I mentioned are addressed.

Eddie_Raja said:

I'm sorry do you think I am Anti-Digital and don't want it to progress?  I have never said that.

No I don't think that and I never have said that. You even said that you love your digital games on Steam/Origin/Uplay and give a few reasons for that love.

I am merily saying that it is still the overall inferior option for console gamers.  Nothing more.  

No, thats's not what you are merely saying. You said that "on console there are NO pluses to Digital". And that ain't true... I've given a lot of examples where there are pluses to digital console games compared to retail console games. It doesn't matter if these pluses are important to you or not... they exist and you can't argue them away!

There are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on PC, There are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on home consoles and there are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on handhelds. Please don't generalize.

Conina said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I'm sorry do you think I am Anti-Digital and don't want it to progress?  I have never said that.

No I don't think that and I never have said that. You even said that you love your digital games on Steam/Origin/Uplay and give a few reasons for that love.

I am merily saying that it is still the overall inferior option for console gamers.  Nothing more.  

No, thats's not what you are merely saying. You said that "on console there are NO pluses to Digital". And that ain't true... I've given a lot of examples where there are pluses to digital console games compared to retail console games. It doesn't matter if these pluses are important to you or not... you can't argue them away!

There are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on PC, There are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on home consoles and there are advantages and disadvantages of digital games on handhelds. Please don't generalize.

No real pluses compared to PC.  I stand by that.  Any plus you mentioned is half of what we get elseware.

Also there no plus to physical on PC at this point.  When you insert one of your 5 physical discs on PC you still have to download a bunch of stuff and tie the game to a account.  It is utterly pointless to get a game physically on PC.

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:

No real pluses compared to PC.  I stand by that.  Any plus you mentioned is half of what we get elseware.

Also there no plus to physical on PC at this point.  When you insert one of your 5 physical discs on PC you still have to download a bunch of stuff and tie the game to a account.  It is utterly pointless to get a game physically on PC.

Moving goalposts, I see!

And generalizing again..."no plus to physical on PC at this point"? You still get the box, the disc(s) and sometimes a handbook and/or collector's stuff... this physical stuff that is so important when it's a console game but "no plus" if it is a PC game?

Additionally there are still a lot of PC retail games without account binding, so you can sell them if you want. Rarely the brand new AAA-titles, but still many smaller titles or older AAA-titles. So that's also a plus on physical PC games.

Oh, and I'm sorry do you think I am Anti-Retail and want it to die? ;) Don't answer that, it's only a rhetorical question, since I already wrote that i love my physical and digital collections. Here are some pictures of my physical games:

Conina said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Moving goalposts, I see!

And generalizing again..."no plus to physical on PC at this point"? You still get the box, the disc(s) and sometimes a handbook and/or collector's stuff... this physical stuff that is so important when it's a console game but "no plus" if it is a PC game?

Additionally there are still a lot of PC retail games without account binding, so you can sell them if you want. Rarely the brand new AAA-titles, but still many smaller titles or older AAA-titles. So that's also a plus on physical PC games.

Oh, and I'm sorry do you think I am Anti-Retail and want it to die? ;) Don't answer that, it's only a rhetorical question, since I already wrote that i love my physical and digital collections. Here are some pictures of my physical games:

I pity the fool.

Eddie_Raja said:

I pity the fool.

That comment makes no sense at all in our discussion.

I totally understand why people would commit to getting physical over digital. I live in an apartment in Brooklyn though. And while it's fairly large by NYC standards, physical media of any kind takes up a lot of space. I find myself getting digital more often now. The convenience of not having to switch off disks combined with saving space in my apartment is huge.

run away! 

Will take a look at your video later OP. But this is a topic warm to my heart.

I play video games, I also collect video games. I will always buy the physical copy over the digital copy if I have the option to do so. I do understand the people who buys digital though, it's convenient, easy, and you dont need room to store your games (looking at myself, I have an entire room in my house dedicated to Nintendo for instance).

Most things have been brought up here so I wont repeat what others have said but something I dont think I have seen yet that is in my mind a big plus to physical games - memories! I have a lot of memories with friends over a certain game some 10-15-20 or even 25 years back linked to a game. If I take a look at my shelf I see a game I may have forgotten but seeing it on my shelf instantly brings back fond memories. Also brings a lot of friends of mine together for good laughs as well.