By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why i buy Physical games.

xl-klaudkil said:
Conina said:
StarOcean said:
Physical is the best way. Digital takes up too much memory. Plus It feels wrong not actually holding the box and the disc and stuff.

HDDs are cheap as hell. And you are holding the box/disc/stuff while playing a game? I hold the game controller or my hands are resting on the keyboard and mouse. ;)

Would it be a good substitute holding the retail box of another game while playing a digital game? ;)

we will talk about this subject after 20 years than we will see if you stil play your digital games on you console.

i know i will physical  ofc.

You think a PS4, Wii U or Xbox One will survive 20 years or that there will plenty available for purchase in two decades?

Conina; I only have a 500GB SSD for game disc on my new rig and I'm having zero problems, I don't exactly need to install all my games at once and I don't download TV shows or movies often either. And if I do, I bought a dirt cheap external HDD recvently, there's room for 500GB of media on that as well.
Oh, and I have a 500GB HDD on my laptop as well for media, won't be having troubles any time soon.
I wanted a fast gaming disc rather than a huge one, there's no need for it.

Should it be an issue though, I also have two 1TB drivers and one 320GB HDD lying around here.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
S.Peelman said:

Digital does have one big advantage though, you have your most current library of games within an arm's reach and you can switch games without the need to swap discs and load times are better, so for that reason I like it if an option is there to install a game to a hard-drive, for the best of both worlds.

Bolded; I am one of the few users in here who was really happy when the PS3 and 360 started getting games with mandatory or optional installs, it really helps with performance!

Well yeah, if the space is there in a console. I think it's a shame you can't do that on WiiU (as far as I'm aware).

After that long day, I stumble into my room. Pick up my tablet and start streaming my PS4. Decide I want to dabble in a quick game of FIFA..... oh crap, gotta go downstairs and change the disk.

No thank you. Digital all the way. except when I buy some ubisoft games which I buy used.

I'm definitely a collector, but I'm finding myself caring less and less about physical games these days. It's not like the packaging for MOST games is anything special anymore.  Often, you have just the disc inside these increasingly flimsy plastic cases. And in the case of PS4 games, the whole game gets installed to the hard drive regardless.  It might as well just come with a card inside with a download code rather than a disc.  I don't feel any sense of collection putting new PS4 games on my shelf, as the people packaging games these days don't seem to give a shit anymore.

And well, my PC collection has been entirely Steam/GOG/Origin for years now.  No intention of going back.  The only time I will consider physical anymore is for collector's editions and games from Indiebox.

xl-klaudkil said:

i would LOVE to spend 30 euro/dollar on a indie game physical.

http://www.theindiebox.com/

You're welcome.

xl-klaudkil said:
Conina said:

HDDs are cheap as hell. And you are holding the box/disc/stuff while playing a game? I hold the game controller or my hands are resting on the keyboard and mouse. ;)

Would it be a good substitute holding the retail box of another game while playing a digital game? ;)

we will talk about this subject after 20 years than we will see if you stil play your digital games on you console.

We don't know the future. Maybe you are still happy with your physical decision in 20 years, maybe a lot of your PS1 retail games (and other systems using optical discs) will suffer from disc rot while digital PS1 games (which have already the advantage to be playable on the go in PSPs and Vitas) still work.

Even if Sony goes bankrupt: you can backup these digital games on HDDs or other mass storage media and restore them on the device. Your backup argument in the video "the HDD won't last 50 years" has a big flaw: you can backup the data to more than one mass storage and you can copy/transfer these backups to another (and probably much bigger) HDD if you replace the old one.

Around the Network
garretslarrity said:
Ruler said:

The reason why retail games are less expensive is because the market decides, and the market ussually drop the price very quick as they have to get rid of the stuff for new games. Digital can make unlimited amount of copies without any logistic problems

What you say is not incorrect, but it does not tell the whole story.  As the Ubisoft representative recently said, publishers intentionally reduce the price of retail copies so they sell out in stores.  Therefore, the retailers are willing to make larger orders when the next game comes out.  Digital copies should cost less than physical copies, because there is no disc, manual, box, boxart, shipping costs, and most importantly, no retailer's cut.  Publishers are giving in to retailer's demands, and it's hurting gamers.

How is it hurting gamers? we get the right to sell or to burrow our games

Mummelmann said:
xl-klaudkil said:

You think a PS4, Wii U or Xbox One will survive 20 years or that there will plenty available for purchase in two decades?

Conina; I only have a 500GB SSD for game disc on my new rig and I'm having zero problems, I don't exactly need to install all my games at once and I don't download TV shows or movies often either. And if I do, I bought a dirt cheap external HDD recvently, there's room for 500GB of media on that as well.
Oh, and I have a 500GB HDD on my laptop as well for media, won't be having troubles any time soon.
I wanted a fast gaming disc rather than a huge one, there's no need for it.

Should it be an issue though, I also have two 1TB drivers and one 320GB HDD lying around here.

You can still buy Sega Megadrives for 20-30€ on Amazon and how many consoles were sold of them? 30-40 million?

These new consoles in fact will be way cheaper to buy later on.

-You wont need to look for specific video cables because they use now all HDMI which by the way gives you the best picture quality unlike older consoles standard composite cables.

- no memorycards because they allready have hardrives which again are using sata standard.

- and most of them have no external powersupply anymore.

#Physical4Ever

I love my digital games on Steam/Origin/Uplay, but that is because they are better than Physical on PC:
-Saves sync across my laptop and desktop
-Games cost less
-It is super easy to download them fast and mod them

On console there are NO pluses to Digital. As such, there is no point besides convenience - kinda since you can go down to the store and get the game. Only on Vita is digital cheaper and easier, and so it makes some sense.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
I love my digital games on Steam/Origin/Uplay, but that is because they are better than Physical on PC:
-Saves sync across my laptop and desktop
-Games cost less
-It is super easy to download them fast and mod them

On console there are NO pluses to Digital. As such, there is no point besides convenience - kinda since you can go down to the store and get the game. Only on Vita is digital cheaper and easier, and so it makes some sense.

There are LESS pluses to digital on console than on PC, but there are a few:

- not having to change the disc/module: it may be a minor inconvenience for you and me and many others to stand up and change the disc/module on a home console. But it's a much bigger hassle for someone who is immobile (bound to bed, wheelchair...) or if you stream the game to another room (WiiU off-TV, PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/PSTV/Smartphone, XBO to PC/tablet) within your WLAN or even globally (PS4 RemotePlay to Vita/Smartphone). On handhelds digital versions are also very convenient because you don't have to carry around a bunch of modules additional to the device... and perhaps even lose some of them.

- it allows SharePlay to more than one game (the client has access to the whole digital library, but only to the 1 retail game that is inserted); the same goes for Steam Family Sharing and I'm sure Microsoft and Nintendo are working on similar sharing options, preferentially for their digital games.

- it allows cross-buy: many games you buy on PSN are cross-buy while the retail versions of the same games aren't cross-buy. Because cross-buy retail titles without account binding would only work if they include several discs/modules in the retail version... a PS3/PS4/Vita-game would at least need the Vita-module and a hybrid-disc with the PS3 + PS4 version (or two separate discs).

- the retail version of a PS1 game can be played only on PlayStation home consoles, the digital version of a PS1 game can be played only on PlayStation home consoles. The retail version of a PSP game can be played only on PSP, the digital version of a PSP game can be played on PSP, Vita and PSTV. Some digital versions of (smaller) XBO games will also be playable on Windows10-PCs and tablets, some even on WindowsPhone 10... Microsoft just announced it.

- it allows gaming subscriptions like PS+ and Games with Gold and EA Access, which are a great deal for gamers and for participating indie developers (their game is a whole month in the spotlight and can build a fanbase, which will help their following releases a lot)... can you imagine a similar subscription model in retail? Sony or Microsoft sending you 2 - 6 retail games every month and you don't have to send them back until you cancel that subscription... all for $3 - $5 per month?

- most small indie games would have failed horribly without digital distribution, no matter how fun and perfect they are. Good luck finding a publisher for a small game which shall be sold around $10, ... it would go under in retail, most retailers wouldn't give it much shelve space and the shipping/packaging costs would be out of all proportion. Sure, some indie games were released at retail for collectors, but only additional to the digital distribution and only after they have proven themself as success.