By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you rather have Nintendo buy Capcom or ATLUS?

Would you rather have Nintendo buy Capcom or ATLUS?

Capcom 186 69.14%

ATLUS 83 30.86%

Total:269
StarOcean said:
Oh god no. Neither. They're in no position to aquire any big dev right now. People are begging for Metroid and Animal Crossing on top of F-Zero and a billion other IPs Nintendo hides in the closet that isn't Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda and are getting nothing. Perhaps if Nintendo changes next gen my opinion will change, but as it stands they don't need any more IPs that they'll just sit on

I actually think Nintendo is more capable of it than you realize. they have the capital and I'm not sure they'd have to put it all up front anyway to do a takeover of Capcom

while it's true that Nintendo seems to be a bit behind on developing for some of their IPS (Pokemon on consoles, F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, etc.) they still activitely clearly try to keep all of their IPs alive.. something Capcom has been failing to do a good job at 

also bear in mind that Nintendo sort of deliberately has kept an extremely small employee and team count. They could pretty easily hire more hands and put out more games even if they acquired another big video game company, they just would have to change their company mindset a bit in terms of semi abandoning the really close knit development crews.

all I know is that if Nintendo took over Capcom they surely would be capable of righting the way of some of their primary franchises (Resident Evil, Mega Man, etc)

you mention Nintendo 'sitting' on IPs, yet Capcom is much smaller and does so even more than Nintendo. there is no doubt in my mind that Capcom's IP's would be better off in another larger studios hands and Nintendo just happens to clearly be a decent fit for some of Capcom's bigger IP's (Mega Man practically is connected to the Nintendo world in terms of his start)

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
StarOcean said:
Oh god no. Neither. They're in no position to aquire any big dev right now. People are begging for Metroid and Animal Crossing on top of F-Zero and a billion other IPs Nintendo hides in the closet that isn't Mario, Pokemon, or Zelda and are getting nothing. Perhaps if Nintendo changes next gen my opinion will change, but as it stands they don't need any more IPs that they'll just sit on

1) They sit on those properties because they generally lack the resources to make the more niche stuff, especially in the HD age. Not that anyone could have seen that coming from a mile away, of course.

2) I'd hardly say Animal Crossing is hidden in the closet. Nor Metroid for that matter, but I know this site in particular has some obnoxious and oblivious folks who will argue otherwise, so I'll avoid that one for the moment.

they also primarily 'sit' on stuff because Nintendo traditionally has a very small employee base with small teams working on games. they have like a few thousand employees. this worked maybe a generation or 2 ago, but unfortuntately with so few in house developers its becoming harder for them to successfully outsource the work

all Nintendo needs to do is accept that they need to change their structure and pull in more programmers and team members. that's what's holding back the game development

Roronaa_chan said:
How about neither? I wouldn't trust them with any of those IPs

seriously? name the last awesome Mega Man, Street Fighter, or Resident Evil? anyone who trusts Capcom at this point with the IPs more than potentitally Nintendo is crazy

None, I'd rather see them working on more new franchises like Splatoon, and working towards improving their home console sales.

I don't think neither Capcom or Atlus would make them a huge improve in sales... Really miss the old Nintendo who brought us new franchises that would totally change the world like Pokemon did in the 90s, not this eternal franchise revivals they're doing.

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Capcom would give Nintendo more than 70% of the Japanese market. It would be a much smarter choice (Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Okami, Mega Man...)

Around the Network
mountaindewslave said:
Roronaa_chan said:

seriously? name the last awesome Mega Man, Street Fighter, or Resident Evil? anyone who trusts Capcom at this point with the IPs more than potentitally Nintendo is crazy

I wanna play! Mega Man 10, Ultra Street Fighter IV, Resident Evil 5.

I'll agree the recent treatment of the Mega Man franchise has been terrible. Resident Evil's last entry was lackluster but they can still bring it back. As for Street Fighter it's doing really well for itself with SFIV being a very strong entry and SFV looking really promising.

Signature goes here!

I would rather that Nintendo bought a clue. That is my final answer.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

As great as Atlus'games are. They've not really got much that would draw new gamers to Nintendo. And their games are generally best suited to Vita :p

Cap com on the other hand would bring a lot of things to the table that Nintendo themselves currently don't cater for, so IMO Capcom would be the no brainer in this choice. Especially with Nintendo's vigorous standards keeping Capcom's output quality in check.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

mountaindewslave said:
Roronaa_chan said:

All REs and SFs have been good

Don't care about megaman, never did.

MikeRox said:
As great as Atlus'games are. They've not really got much that would draw new gamers to Nintendo. And their games are generally best suited to Vita :p

Cap com on the other hand would bring a lot of things to the table that Nintendo themselves currently don't cater for, so IMO Capcom would be the no brainer in this choice. Especially with Nintendo's vigorous standards keeping Capcom's output quality in check.

Why would you want a company to waste their time on such a low install base?

SMT IV and Persona Q sold pretty well given how niche those franchises are (and Persona Q is a spin-off). They should focus on Nintendo's next handheld (unless it fails I guess).