By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War Graphics Comparison: Ultimate Edition vs. Xbox 360

Looks so good.

Around the Network

Big difference between the two so good job on the upgrade.

However I'm glad they included the original 360 version with this game because I honestly prefer the original look with the grittiness. But at least buyers get the choice of playing either version.

Cool looks great will get it in pc

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

S.T.A.G.E. said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Deny it if you want, but ms themselves class it as a remaster. Are you going to ignore that? A remake is something different. This isn't it. 

Actually, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt while telling you what they said they did in the development process. Watch the making of video. They rebuilt the game pretty much from scratch and they said once the head director was there they realized the game is easier to make than they thought. The development of gears is extremely deceptive.

Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like it was a back handed agreement. Game it clearly a remaster. The remaster might go all the way down to ground and reworked from ground level but it wasn't made from scratch. But I can see why people are getting confused because it's a very good remaster. A shining example of how remasters should be done.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well Halo 1 and 2 Anniversary Editions are basically the original game engines with an enhanced graphics engine running over them. Which is why you can switch between original and new graphics in those remasters.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume this Gears Ultimate Edition is using much of the original code and has been visually overhauled. There are also new features and modes though, so they did make changes but I wouldn't say it was done from the ground up.

Bottom line, a lot of remasters are just ports. I think calling Gears Ultimate a remaster is fair but some products don't deserve to be called such when they're clearly just ports.

Check out the Gears of War making of video. They talk about it there. It was remade from the ground up and they said with the head director there it was actually much easier to recreate than they had first thought. The basic genius of Gears is is that its a simple game which the developers gave the look of a technical marvel and this put the developers on edge at first. Not so much anymore.

I hear what you're saying, but I believe they're still using a lot of the original code and for the most part its scene for scene the same game.

This game isn't the transition from MGS to MGS:Twin Snakes.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Puppyroach said:
Does it matter if it is a remake of remaster? It is ambitious and masterly done either way.

I loved the treatment  microsoft gave to halo 2. I just wish halo 3 would've been given the same amount of love.

Maybe it will happen in 2017. That's when Halo 3 is 10 years old.

It seems like they can put these remasters together relatively quickly.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:
Good lord! Even though it's YouTube, the leap is great. Even the fps increase is noticeable. Good job. Looking forward to co op-ing the whole trilogy, again.

Well Youtube can do 60 fps.

Recently Completed

Yeah but was it really necessary to completley remastering it? they could have spent the time and money somewhere else. I dont recall anyone really wanting this game to be remade

SWORDF1SH said:
It's a remaster, a very good remaster. I don't think we can call this a remake.

Remaster = Using original assets and up grading them

Remake = Game made from the ground up and stays faithful to original (imagine MGS1 on current gen consoles with current gen graphics same story/missions/etc and overhauled gameplay)

Reboot = Complete new direction set within the franchise. Usually going back to the start with change of story and drastic change in gamepley.

Offtopic I know, but have you ever seen MGS the twin snakes? you should look it up.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:

Offtopic I know, but have you ever seen MGS the twin snakes? you should look it up.

Yeah I know Twin Snakes. Never played that version but from what I've seen I would call it a port or since it's a upgraded version of MGS (for the Gamecube?), it could be considered a remaster. That game doesn't qualify for what you underlined in my post.