By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda release date pinned as "TBD" instead of 2016

When will it launch?

1st Half 2016 15 9.55%

2nd Half 2016 96 61.15%

2017 and beyond 24 15.29%

NEVER 22 14.01%

Total:157
Magnus said:
The only Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda release so far is the Virtual Boy. If Nintendo didn't want to commit to releasing an exclusive Zelda on the Wii U they should have dumped it like the Virtual Boy and give a refund to everyone who bought it, which was the best option financially. If they wanted to satisfy Wii U owners, they should release Zelda U exclusively and not remaster it until the NX successor comes out.
But it seems they will crap on Wii U owners instead.

Hyrule Warriors says hello (and if the recent 3DS announcement blocks it, then Link's Awakening DX means the original GB didn't have an exclusive Zelda).

Not that Zelda U isn't also going to be on Wii U, but the point is, Virtual Boy is the only Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda already, after accounting for Wii U.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
LuckyTrouble said:
S.Peelman said:

They put 'TBD' behind it the moment Aonuma announced the delay, it's been this way for months already in multiple financial reports. It's funny how every outlet only now notices this, shows how much they're paying attention.

Anyway nobody should expect this game before holiday (november) 2016.

*citation needed* The delay was only announced back in late March (literally the end of March), so your multiple financial reports should be interesting to see.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140508e.pdf

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150507_4e.pdf

Yes, technically it was "2015" in the three financial reports between these two, but this is multiple financial reports in which it was listed as TBD, including the most recent one prior to the one we're discussing now.

Which means it's only the May report for the previous fiscal year that lists it prior to the July statement. The other one is completely irrelevant by the fact alone that you mention it was 2015 in the time between. I'll acnowledge that people may not have combed the reports well enough if this took nearly three months and a new report to really notice, or maybe people just thought that, by this point, they would have had a better idea of a release date. I may find it almost more concerning that it's now August 2015 and a game that was originally slated for a Holiday 2015 release is now in some kind of announcement limbo that Nintendo refuses to publicly touch on.

Honestly I think its already been cancelled internally and is being reworked for the NX under a new working title (Zelda NX or something).

The combined Wii-U/NX release idea is possible, but unlikely. Nintendo have said that the NX uses a different approach than the 3DS and Wii-U. Because both those systems use a touchscreen and the Wii-U touchscreen is the #1 complaint about the system, it could be that the NX ditches the touchscreen and they'll have to do a whole new control layout for each system.

Flash Sentry's #1 Fan (unofficially).

LuckyTrouble said:
Aielyn said:

Yes, technically it was "2015" in the three financial reports between these two, but this is multiple financial reports in which it was listed as TBD, including the most recent one prior to the one we're discussing now.

Which means it's only the May report for the previous fiscal year that lists it prior to the July statement. The other one is completely irrelevant by the fact alone that you mention it was 2015 in the time between. I'll acnowledge that people may not have combed the reports well enough if this took nearly three months and a new report to really notice, or maybe people just thought that, by this point, they would have had a better idea of a release date. I may find it almost more concerning that it's now August 2015 and a game that was originally slated for a Holiday 2015 release is now in some kind of announcement limbo that Nintendo refuses to publicly touch on.

Pay closer attention. We're discussing the July statement, the ones I linked were May 2014 and May 2015.

EDIT: in case you hadn't noticed, the filenames of the pdf files are literally the dates that they were released - 8th of May 2014, and then 7th of May 2015.

Aielyn said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Aielyn said:

Pay closer attention. We're discussing the July statement, the ones I linked were May 2014 and May 2015.

EDIT: in case you hadn't noticed, the filenames of the pdf files are literally the dates that they were released - 8th of May 2014, and then 7th of May 2015.

Did.....did you read my post? Comprehend it? The very first sentence of my post gives a clear understanding of things. I mean, re-reading it, there is no humanly possible way you could have misinterpreted my post to the point of me not understanding how dates work.

Around the Network

wtf

It's been like... 2 months since the release of Splatoon and people are already asking for a sequel?

It'll be on 2016...on some console. Don't think they'd delay it twice.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

2nd half of 2016, and I'm feeling it.

They wouldn't delay it for just 3 months or less, so it could release spring 2016 at the earliest and november 2016 at the latest. Forget the imaginary NX.

gogo-mastermime said:
Cobretti2 said:

The problem with Nintendo fans is damn if you do and damn if you don't.

No Nintendo fan wants Nintendo to go 3rd party yet releasing Zelda on Wii U may just accomplish that if NX doesn't take of in sales.

They can't grasp the concept that a better launch for NX means a better future for Nintendo.

Wii U already has enough games to justify your purchase. Releasing a zelda game on a dead system is kind of pointless as it won't achieve anything for Nintendo.

calling wii u a dead system, saying it would be right to not release zelda on it... so many crazy things on your post.

I stated a fact. It is a commercial failure for Nintendo. I am talking from a Company point of view not the few core Nintendo fans who bought it. NIntendo needs to  at least 5x its console sales to be more viable for the shareholders and to give it any chance of getting 3rd party support or riskmore droughts next gen. 

From a company point of view releasing Zelda as an exclusive launch game on their next home console is a smart move, as it will be a system seller. If they release it n Wii U than their next console won't sell as it has nothing that people NEED a new system for.