By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NX and reasonable game droughts

Miyamotoo said:
Pavolink said:
bonzobanana said:
I don't think the wii u being Nintendo's first HD console was an excuse for lack of games. It was no big deal for microsoft and sony when they moved to hd consoles. Well maybe it was for Sony as the playstation 3 was so complicated but the wii u if anything is a much closer match to the wii than the 360 was to the original xbox.

And Iwata promised before the Wii U launch that they were ready for HD development...

So I agree. Wii U being HD is not an excuse for the poor library.

Nintendo said later that they very underestimated HD development, also people are forgeting that 3DS was in very bad shape in first year so Nintendo have put great effort in order to save it (and they succeed) but that affected on devolpment of Wii U games.

They absolutely cannot repeat what they did with 3DS/Wii U in their first years. People go on about if Nintendo cuts off Wii U early than it will hurt their image well I think dragging Wii U along while also having their next console suffer from a first year drought would be much worse, basically that would be the same as the Wii to Wii U transition, outside of Kirby/Zelda there really wasn't a whole lot from Nintendo for the Wii in its last 2 years and Wii U had nearly 9 months between launch and it's next major 1st party title.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Nintendo needs more second parties. if they had 3 good ones releasing one game a year everything would be straight. I miss the days when we had. Nintendo, Retro Studios, Silicon Knights and RareWare all releasing badass games

Vgchartz and unreasonable discussions about a console we don't know anything of whatsoever.

The reason why Wii U had an enormous drought after launch, was due to the fact that they were unprepared for HD development, and Wii U development was also much different than Wii. With NX absorbing the techniques and engines used for Wii U along with new techniques brought by new graphics tech, they shouldn't be delaying launch window titles as much as what happened with Wii U.

HintHRO said:
Vgchartz and unreasonable discussions about a console we don't know anything of whatsoever.

Lol, interesting how many are so certain about the entire NX handheld/console library being "shared" when it has never been stated as such. 

forethought14 said:
The reason why Wii U had an enormous drought after launch, was due to the fact that they were unprepared for HD development, and Wii U development was also much different than Wii.

So what's the excuse for the 3DS software drought (February - early November 2011)? Were they also unprepared for game development with assets similar to Gamecube and Wii graphics?

Around the Network
Conina said:
forethought14 said:
The reason why Wii U had an enormous drought after launch, was due to the fact that they were unprepared for HD development, and Wii U development was also much different than Wii.

So what's the excuse for the 3DS software drought (February - early November 2011)? Were they also unprepared for game development with assets similar to Gamecube and Wii graphics?

I'm not sure if this is true but I recall reading that they wanted to give 3rd parties a chance to shine in the spotlight by spreading out their 1st party titles. Like I said, not sure if it's true, just something I read awhile back.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
NightDragon83 said:
Every Nintendo console since the N64 has had software droughts early and often in its lifespan.

For the N64, at least there was the excuse that working within the limitations of cartridges and transitioning from 2D to 3D make development difficult early on, which is why there were so few launch titles and software in general within its 1st year on the market.

But for the GC, Wii and Wii U it was inexcusable. And of course the common thread for all 4 consoles is the ever dwindling amount of software from major 3rd party studios.

Wii Sports-November 19, 2006

Excite Truck-November 19, 2006

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess-November 19, 2006

WarioWare: Smooth Moves-January 15, 2007

Wii Play-February 12, 2007

Super Paper Mario-April 9, 2007

Mario Party 8-May 29, 2007

Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree-June 11, 2007

Pokémon Battle Revolution-June 25, 2007

Mario Strikers Charged-July 30, 2007

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption-August 27, 2007

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast-October 8, 2007

Battalion Wars 2-October 29, 2007

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn-November 11, 2007

Super Mario Galaxy-November 12, 2007

Link's Crossbow Training-November 19, 2007

Endless Ocean-January 21, 2008

Super Smash Bros. Brawl-March 9, 2008

Mario Kart Wii-April 27, 2008

Wii Fit-May 21, 2008

Wii had no 1st party droughts in the first 18 months..

Nintendo's main consoles, NES, SNES, and Wii did not have droughts like their failures: GameCube, N64, and Wii U.

Third party support comes with success. Nintendo had third party games on the Wii U at first, but the failure for them to get their own console out and sell it, largely due to the drought, made third parties cancel many of their projects.

Nintendo must have a solid release schedule which includes the mainline Zeldas, the mainline Mario's (like the Mario 64s and the Galaxies), the Metroids, the hot new business expanding games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, they need to have it all. That is how they can be at the forefront of dominating and expand the industry again. They also need to disrupt their competitors like they did with the Wii, and that is not just Sony and Microsoft anymore, it's mostly Apple. They need to target those gaming platforms with a far more interesting and option.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii Fit-May 21, 2008

Nintendo's main consoles, NES, SNES, and Wii did not have droughts like their failures: GameCube, N64, and Wii U.

Third party support comes with success. Nintendo had third party games on the Wii U at first, but the failure for them to get their own console out and sell it, largely due to the drought, made third parties cancel many of their projects.

Nintendo must have a solid release schedule which includes the mainline Zeldas, the mainline Mario's (like the Mario 64s and the Galaxies), the Metroids, the hot new business expanding games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports, they need to have it all. That is how they can be at the forefront of dominating and expand the industry again. They also need to disrupt their competitors like they did with the Wii, and that is not just Sony and Microsoft anymore, it's mostly Apple. They need to target those gaming platforms with a far more interesting and option.

N64 wasn't failure, even if PS1 sold 3x time better than N64, N64 with 33m was second best selling console that gen.

Jumpin said:
zorg1000 said:

Wii Fit-May 21, 2008

I agree 100%, in the first 18 months months Wii not only had a consistent release schedule, it also had a little bit for everyone. On one side u had the more hardcore series like Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem along with more casual style games like Wii Sports/Play/Fit and games that fall somewhere in between like 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. It had a nice balanced mix.

I think one major problem with the Gamepad is that it completely goes against what they targeted with the Wii Remote. Nintendo abandoned the traditional dual analog/8 face/4 shoulder design because it was too complex and intimidating for people who weren't avid gamers, the Wii Remote was simplistic and with most games u could pick up the controller and have a good understanding of the controls after a few moments, then they turned around and went right back to the design that they just deemed as too complex.

I don't think they will find Wii level success again but their is a very large middle ground between Wii & Wii U sales, with a stronger software output, more affordable price, better marketing, easy to understand controller, I think Nintendo can be much more successful than they are with Wii U.

Miyamotoo said:
Jumpin said:

N64 wasn't failure, even if PS1 sold 3x time better than N64, N64 with 33m was second best selling console that gen.

I wouldn't call it an outright failure either but I get what he's saying, it started the end of their dominance. NES absolutely steamrolled the competition and while Genesis put up a good fight, SNES was still the clear winner on a global level. With N64 they went from being the clear winner 2 generations in a row to being outsold 3:1.