By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - does the ESRB rating affect sales??

I hear a lot of people cannot buy games because some stupid reason like their parents not allowing them to but does this rating system or anyother rating system affect sales greatly

and would the game sale numbers liek call of duty/halo will be will bigger without these rating systems??

discuss. 

PSN: Metra17

Games: Uncharted, Burnout Paradise, COD4, Motorstorm, Rockband

Around the Network

I think Mature games are so common place now that a rating of Mature does no affect sales very much, if at all. Now a rating of Ao.....that'll kill a game faster than anything else.

My friend can't get any mature games at all and has a 360 and wii. It really sucks for him. He has to get his friends to buy the games for him.

God I hope so.

I've turned down tons of kids for Halo 3. ;)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Mature ratings DO affect sales. Let's a parent is getting a game for their 12-14 year old. Once they see the M rating, they will look more closely at what the game is about. Chances are, they won't like what they see. therefore, they will be more reluctant to buy those type of games

Around the Network

I have nice parents. They don't even look at the rating on the box. I was playing games like hl2 and Cod when I was 8.

It most certainly does.

yes, the rating affect sales.

might be bigger. I wasn't allowed to play GTA games when I was younger, GTA4 will be my first since GTA2.

I'm back...

yes it dose affect sales.

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99