By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony financial results Q1 FY15, 663 million $ profit, PS4 ships 3 million

Teeqoz said:
Network revenue about to surpass hardware revenue too.... Hardware revenue.... Just think about it. For each PS4 sold, they make hardware revenue of 400$, then there is peripherals, controllers etc. And network (digital sales, PS+, PSNow) is about to make more money than hardware. That's insane. Then there is boxed software sales (royalties), I think that goes under the "other" part.

They obviously don't make that from consoles. Think about it.

Around the Network
sully1311 said:
Teeqoz said:
Network revenue about to surpass hardware revenue too.... Hardware revenue.... Just think about it. For each PS4 sold, they make hardware revenue of 400$, then there is peripherals, controllers etc. And network (digital sales, PS+, PSNow) is about to make more money than hardware. That's insane. Then there is boxed software sales (royalties), I think that goes under the "other" part.

Revenue =! Profit

As margins are terribly tiny to nonexistent on hardware, the revenue isn't too far off of MSRP on X1/PS4/U/etc.

Profit varies wildly though.

sully1311 said:
Teeqoz said:

Revenue, not profit.

tokilamockingbrd said:
binary solo said:

About 2 million. Which means PS4 if anything is overtracked LTD from before April, because I think the LTD looks roughly OK for 25.3M shipped.

Where the hell are you getting the 2 million from. You don't subtract the usual "on the shelves" factor from from a quarterly result. You do that if they give an LTD figure. The point I already made was there were that 1 to 1.3 million on the shelf when this quarter because. If the amount on the shelves or in warehouses remained stable. Shipped = sold it's just they sold 1 mil that were shipped last quarter and 2 of 3 mil shipped this quarter.

You asked what the VGC nujmber was for the quarter. I replied with 2 million. What are you confused about?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Arkaign said:
sully1311 said:

Revenue =! Profit

As margins are terribly tiny to nonexistent on hardware, the revenue isn't too far off of MSRP on X1/PS4/U/etc.

Where did I say profit? They don't get $400 dollars in revenue. Where I used to work it wasn't non-existant. Ranged from 5%-12%.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
sully1311 said:

Revenue, not profit.

Where did I say profit? They don't get $400 dollars in revenue. 

sully1311 said:
Teeqoz said:

Revenue, not profit.

Where did I say profit? They don't get $400 dollars in revenue. 

Oh, I just assumed you were misunderstanding, and not just nitpicking. Fine, $360 dollars in revenue per console, but it the point I raised remains the same.

binary solo said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

Where the hell are you getting the 2 million from. You don't subtract the usual "on the shelves" factor from from a quarterly result. You do that if they give an LTD figure. The point I already made was there were that 1 to 1.3 million on the shelf when this quarter because. If the amount on the shelves or in warehouses remained stable. Shipped = sold it's just they sold 1 mil that were shipped last quarter and 2 of 3 mil shipped this quarter.

You asked what the VGC nujmber was for the quarter. I replied with 2 million. What are you confused about?

I apologize  I misunderstood you. So VGZ undertracked by 500k to 1 mil.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

sully1311 said:
Arkaign said:

Revenue =! Profit

Where did I say profit? They don't get $400 dollars in revenue. Where I used to work it wasn't non-existant. Ranged from 5%-12%.

Nowhere, but it's close enough to call it basically even. Consoles, particularly for the first several years (and beyond, if they get aggressive price cuts) are basically sold-through at close to cost to retailers. Anyone who has run an independent game shop can tell you that there is no way to make profit from the consoles themselves, and even for the mega retailers, they are selling them so that they can make the money on games and in particular : accessories.

A $399 PS4 is sold through at retail at a cost somewhere around $385+, and that is your revenue percentage : a bit over 96%. Or close enough to call it almost a 1:1 revenue setup. Also, it isn't uncommon (as it was with the Xbox One with the first $449 Titanfall + Kinect bundle) for a product to produce losses at the same time as revenue. In essence, revenue - operational costs = profits, put very simplistically. If revenue is less than costs, then you have losses to report.

When there are special promotions, the manufacturers typically reimburse or balance out their retail partners so they don't lose their asses on stacks of consoles that are suddenly selling for $50, $100, whatever less than what they 'paid'.

Of course there are a myriad of endless accounting details such as write-downs and shell games to hide profits, losses, expenses, investments, holdings, liabilities, and so forth that vary from totally legit to "don't tell the SEC!".

It all boils back down to : a PS4 @ $399 or an X1 @ $349 effectively generates that same sum in revenue, minus a scant percentage.

tokilamockingbrd said:
binary solo said:

I apologize  I misunderstood you. So VGZ undertracked by 500k to 1 mil.

Perhaps, but they can't adjust this quarter up without adjusting past quarters down. If they only adjusted this quarter up then the PS4 LTD would be too high with an unrealistically small gap between LTD shipped and LTD sell through.

It is possible Sony intentionally over-shipped last quarter to build up supplies, and maybe even to put a substantial number of the newer skus into the supply chain. So it may not necessarily be the case that, for last quarter specifically, shipped and sold should be within a few hundred K of each other.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix