By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony financial results Q1 FY15, 663 million $ profit, PS4 ships 3 million

Teeqoz said:
ethomaz said:

Teeqoz said:

Nah, seems like VGC tracking is nearly spot on this time.

1.4m on shelves in the middle of the year for PS4? I really doubt that.

It is like 6-7 weeks of stock.

6-7 weeks of stock is normal.

I agree. However, WiiU and 3DS are vastly overtracked. 3DS numbers on the front page are higher than the shipped numbers lol. They are both 1-1.3M overteracked. Wii  and 3DS might be a tad undertracked. XBO, X360, PS3, PSV are impossible to know. 

Around the Network
NewGuy said:
Teeqoz said:

I agree. However, WiiU and 3DS are vastly overtracked. 3DS numbers on the front page are higher than the shipped numbers lol. They are both 1-1.3M overteracked. Wii  and 3DS might be a tad undertracked. XBO, X360, PS3, PSV are impossible to know. 

Wii U is just about 300k overtracked, remember it isn't selling as fast as the PS4, so it doesn't need as much stock. The 3DS on the other hand is over a million overtracked, indeed.

Teeqoz said:

I don't think it is normal for Sony except on Holidays period.

Let's check last year.

Over 10 million sold as of Aug 10, 2014.
10.1 million shipped as of Jun 30, 2014.

So they needed 1 month and 10 days to reach what they shipped in Q1 FY14... using VGC data (if accurate).

~900k sold in 1 months and 10 days... that what they shipped more and left in stock.

Yeap... way less than these 1.4m on shelves now... I think 1m on shelves is about right to this time of the year.

PS4 is at the end of June ~24.3m SOLD.

Teeqoz said:
NewGuy said:

Wii U is just about 300k overtracked, remember it isn't selling as fast as the PS4, so it doesn't need as much stock. The 3DS on the other hand is over a million overtracked, indeed.

Nintendo shipped 10.01M, VGC has 10M with some days missing. I do not agree there are only 300K WiiUs on warehouses and store shelves. Maybe not 1-1.3M, but 700K or so sounds more feasible to me.

Azerth said:
Sony should just sell everything but playstation and insurance.

Right, because TV(!), music, imaging, devices and movies, never make them profit. The only division that looks like it's in for a long term struggle is mobile phones*. So the response should be, Sony should sell mobile and keep everything else.

* the only reason it made a loss this quarter was because of FX impact.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
NewGuy said:
Teeqoz said:

Nintendo shipped 10.01M, VGC has 10M with some days missing. I do not agree there are only 300K WiiUs on warehouses and store shelves. Maybe not 1-1.3M, but 700K or so sounds more feasible to me.

300K on store shelves and in the retail channels is 6 weeks supply at 50K/week; which Wii U is barely achieving right now. Why isn't 300K in the channels believable? 700K in the channel is 14 weeks supply at 50K per week. That is an outrageously large supply excess. 700K in the channel can be expected at the end of the Sept quarter as they lead into the holiday period, but there's no need at all to ramp up the supply this early in the piece.

If Nintendo had huge expectations for Splatoon to be a system seller and if Splatoon had turned out to be a slight flop, then 700K oversupply could be expected. But since Splatoon did better than expected, and had a small positive effect on hardware numbers, I don't think it's likely for Nintendo to have overshipped.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Outpacing last year and they only forecast to sell 0.5M more this year (16.5M). Will we see a price cut this year?

So near.3 million sold. What does VGC have it at for.the quarter?

And before anyone chimes in with "but, but, this is shipped" for Quarterly numbers shipped is close to sold. We assume Sony keeps X number of consoles in the pipeline. There were consoles in the pipeline at the beginning of the quarter assuming the amount in the pipeline is stable (meaning no shortages going into the quarter) quarterly results = sold (roughly)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

tokilamockingbrd said:

And before anyone chimes in with "but, but, this is shipped" for Quarterly numbers shipped is close to sold. We assume Sony keeps X number of consoles in the pipeline. There were consoles in the pipeline at the beginning of the quarter assuming the amount in the pipeline is stable (meaning no shortages going into the quarter) quarterly results = sold (roughly)

About 2 million. Which means PS4 if anything is overtracked LTD from before April, because I think the LTD looks roughly OK for 25.3M shipped.

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

About 2 million. Which means PS4 if anything is overtracked LTD from before April, because I think the LTD looks roughly OK for 25.3M shipped.

Where the hell are you getting the 2 million from. You don't subtract the usual "on the shelves" factor from from a quarterly result. You do that if they give an LTD figure. The point I already made was there were that 1 to 1.3 million on the shelf when this quarter because. If the amount on the shelves or in warehouses remained stable. Shipped = sold it's just they sold 1 mil that were shipped last quarter and 2 of 3 mil shipped this quarter.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.