By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamespot made a video ripping on Shenmue - Be sure to dislike it

AlfredoTurkey said:
This idea of reviewing games 10, 20 and even 30 years later is absurd. You can only review a game and judge it against the games of it's era.

Not completely true, today I can give a game like Yoshi Island a 10 because it's still a fantastic platformer, some games age well some others don't.

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
This idea of reviewing games 10, 20 and even 30 years later is absurd. You can only review a game and judge it against the games of it's era.

Not completely true, today I can give a game like Yoshi Island a 10 because it's still a fantastic platformer, some games age well some others don't.

Yes but "aging well" is a seperate quality. Just because a game isn't fun to play 20 years later, doesn't mean it wasn't fun to play when it released.

I don´t visit IGN, Gametrailers, Gamestop, or any of those type of sites. So, downvote it for me please.

I'll be a rebel and like it. Screw you guys My love for Sega and their franchises has almost all gone. Non vita game localizing bitches

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I can't help but think this is deliberate. Not only do they rip the game but they reiterate the lie that Sony is financing it. If it's not deliberate it's extremely bad timing coupled with accidental misinformation. The guy that talks about Sony financing it is leaving ... so no problem there, gamespot.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Johnw1104 said:
I'd say the majority of their criticisms were valid.

Shenmue's whole appeal was that it offered an open, living city that you could freely explore and interact with in a way that people had not really encountered before. We should really get a poll going for people who have played it for the first time just recently. I did, and it certainly didn't live up to the hype.

My concern for shenmue 3 is that the open, living world thing is nothing new at this point, and it's also ridiculously expensive. They had better find a new source of a lotta money.

Shenmue is the first open world game, released in 1999. if you've played other open world games like GTA5 etc, and like how awesome it is, well you have Shenmue to thank for that.

Credit is given where credit is due.

Someone hasn't played Body Harvest lol.

Its been already a month and people are still getting their facts wrong about this game. lol!

Oh well, its happening and they can't stop it. Its now up to Yu and Ys Net to either prove them right or make them eat crow when the game is out.

Disliked.

deskpro2k3 said:
Johnw1104 said:
I'd say the majority of their criticisms were valid.

Shenmue's whole appeal was that it offered an open, living city that you could freely explore and interact with in a way that people had not really encountered before. We should really get a poll going for people who have played it for the first time just recently. I did, and it certainly didn't live up to the hype.

My concern for shenmue 3 is that the open, living world thing is nothing new at this point, and it's also ridiculously expensive. They had better find a new source of a lotta money.

Shenmue is the first open world game, released in 1999. if you've played other open world games like GTA5 etc, and like how awesome it is, well you have Shenmue to thank for that.

Credit is given where credit is due.

The original GTA, Legend of Zelda, and Body Harvest came before it, so no it wasn't the first open world game.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

As with most games from that time, a person needs to look at it through glasses from that period. These guys didn't even try, but rather judged it based on what they see today. I never liked Shenmue but that has more to do with my dislike with open world games than anything else. Btw, I revisited sonic adventure recently and it was BAD, and that is a game I loved back in the days.