By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Would you hire a transgender if you were the boss of a store?

I'd hire them. I wouldn't discriminate against anyone. But I'd keep an eye on how they deal and communicate with customers. If the customers start feeling and looking uncomfortable, I'd have to put that employee in a different position.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

Depends on your definition of very obvious transgender person. I mean a sales position requires the person to look nice, so how much they took care of themselves would be a large factor.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

wait!? you are not Wright! this is weird.... and to answer your question... yes, no problem with that.

nanarchy said:
binary solo said:

So gender discrimination is good with you when a person's gender has no direct relevance to the job? Refusing to hire a transgender person BECAUSE they are transgender is no different to refusing to hire a woman or a man because they are a woman or a man. If having boobs, a vagina or a penis is not inherently necessary as part of the job then gender discrimination is immoral and wrong, and people should not submit to it just because some bigots in the community would say boo. Some things are more imporant than profits, and that's why we have laws to regulate employment practices.

Fortunately anti-discrimination laws in civilised countries are not contingent on the acceptance of a particularly intolerant demographic who may happen to be concentrated in a particular town or locality. 

While I agree with you, the reality of the world is that many small businesses are dependent for there very survival on the good will of the bigots and rednecks. taking a stance against discrimination is great, sacrifising your business, your family and potentially your own well being is another thing entirely. Truth is there are some roles that require discrimination to be successful. that may require a woman for the comfort of women shoppers, a man for the comfort of stuck up men if that is your audience or whatever. In the end the customer is always right no matter how bigoted they are as it is their money you are trying to get, taking a moral stand and going bankrupt doesn't serve you or them any good. The bigger stores though I can't see any justification for a manager ever refusing based on gender (trans or otherwise).

I'm not sure I entirely agree, but I do accept that sacrificing livelihod for principles (especially when family and children are involved) is a big decision and not everyone has the mental and emotional fortitude to do it. But civilisation has only made genuine progress when that's what people have done. Whether it's hiring a discriminated minority, or serving them, or openly supporting them in a meaningful way. These people become heroes in the history books, even though their lives were made hard. One can't legislate heroism into people, but one can at least try to call people to a higher purpose and ask that they at least consider being a bit heroic in their lives. 

If I don't take a stand against bigotry and hatred of people who are different then I'm part of the problem even if my personal attitude is enlightened.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

JWeinCom said:
I'd hire them, and keep track of the numbers. If their sales are less than other workers, whether their transness is the cause or not, then I'd fire them.

this.

Give em a chance, if their appearance is a distraction and causes me lost sales (or if they are just a bad worker) I would fire them.  Basically I would not care why their sales performance is less than someone elses. Alot of this depends on where my store is located some regions it could have more of a negative impact than others.

The reason why I would not hire one is if I thought I would be sued if I fired one.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

I swore this was one of Wright's threads. LOL

Mystro-Sama said:
I swore this was one of Wright's threads. LOL

It's too bad he hasn't been making any ...

fatslob-:O said:
Aeolus451 said:
If she was open to working in any position in the store, I would start her off as a stocker in the cosmetic/feminine products section to see how customers and other employees react to her. If she had good people skills with customers and got along with other employees after a bit then I would have no issues with her working in any part of the store.

Would the same apply for physically male transgenders ?

I guess more or less but it really depends on if her appearance causes too much of a disturbance or not. I'll probabily put her on the night shift or in a less visible position til she's more passable. I can't imagine how women might react to her being in the same bathroom. Ultimately, the store's sales are more important than her being in front of everyone. Like I said before, I would test the waters with her and see how it goes. 

Aeolus451 said:

I guess more or less but it really depends on if her appearance causes too much of a disturbance or not. I'll probabily put her on the night shift or in a less visible position til she's more passable. I can't imagine how women might react to her being in the same bathroom. Ultimately, the store's sales are more important than her being in front of everyone. Like I said before, I would test the waters with her and see how it goes. 

You mean him right ?

fatslob-:O said:
Aeolus451 said:

You mean him right? 

If a transexual lives her daily life as a woman and dresses as one (regardless of body) I'll treat her as a woman.