By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital VS Physical

why? because

- I can resell my game

- i can buy it used for cheaper, and in most cases used games are cheaper than digital games on consoles or PC

- it feels nice to wrap up a new game and put it into your collection

- i dont have to worry about servers being offline to redownload games if i want to play them

- storage is not free, you save a lot of hard-drive space.

and no its not true that the disc are just autofication. The games are installed directly from the discs and with the PS4 case you can start the game while installing in the background. The trophies are also installed on the disc and can be achieved offline. Its only DLC and patches which you have to download, but just because 10% of the game isnt on the disc doesnt mean i have to go all digital.

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
RubberWhistleHistle said:
this is obviously from the perspective of somebody who owns a ps4 or x1. none of this applies to wii u or 3DS owners

I thought the same thing...

yeah haha. not only that, but people who enjoy video game history and like to collect and go back to play old games they may have missed prefer physical for obvious reasons.

Physical. You can never have too many hot nurses prodding you.

Lube Me Up

AlfredoTurkey said:

The PC and mobile market consists of completely different demographs. The mobile market is a success because for one thing, it's portable. It's also a place where freemium and $0.99 games rule. The average mobile gamer is casual as well. 

The PC market is closer to the console market in demograph, but it's mainly made up of "nerds" like us. I don't have the stats to back this up, but you and I both know people like us are not in the majority when it comes to console gaming. Xbox One and PS4 make most of their sales off the dude bro group (sorry, can't think of a better term).

The dude bros, they rule. And those types, the ones who only play COD and Madden, they have ben raised up on the whole Gamestop machine of buying and trading in. I really don't think those guys are going to support a system that disallows it. 

But hey, I've been wrong before so, who knows?

Mobile isn't successful because it's portable. It's successful because it's convenient. That convenience, in large parts, comes from being digital. The audience being casual has nothing to do with it, again, with PC as definitive proof.

The mainstream audience for consoles most definitely is a casual one. It's not "dude bros." It's just not the same audience as the mobile audience. That demographic only makes up a fraction. And absolutely none of them would care about a move to digital. No casual gamer would get so hung up on something so insignificant like that. The Only major audience it effects is parents, as they'd want to control what they buy for their kids. That's where the Amiibo download codes come in.

It should also be mentioned that Nintendo currently isn't really apart of the same demographic as PS4/XBO. One could argue that their audience is just as different as the PC and Mobile ones. Either way, there are two massive examples of success in all digital gaming. I see no reason why a console competitor can't gain similar success. In fact, I think it's way past time, and the guys who do it well first will be a force.

Owning the game I bought will always trump all the benefits of digital.

Around the Network

I'll probably continue to buy Physical until, Digital is the same price or cheaper, more HDD space, and used game industry ends.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

RubberWhistleHistle said:

yeah haha. not only that, but people who enjoy video game history and like to collect and go back to play old games they may have missed prefer physical for obvious reasons.

There are plenty of ways to play old games what aren't physical on PC, consoles, and even mobile. That doesn't hold up.

i guess when your game crashes in value right away like madden you might like digital. Fact is most Nintendo games though it's certainly not just nintendo hold their value very well and eventually go back up. Go ahead and try and sell your Wii U full of digital games and then try to sell it with all of those games physical. If you buy the games used after they drop in price then sell it on craigslist it might not even cost you almost anything in the end.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Cheaper price? Wut?

painmaster212 said:
If digital is cheaper then why do all big name release launch at $60 both digital and physical? It's a big profit margin off digital games to not have to pay retail stores, shipping, packaging, ect... yet their still charging us full retail... Also not everyone has the internet speeds to download a 50+ gig game and even with a high internet speed it's still gonna take half the day if not longer before you can play it. Sure there's predownloading but not every company offers that.

Physical Copies Perks

*Fully owning the game to sell it, rent it, loan it. What if you buy a rare game that becomes rare yet you bought it digitally? Your stuck with it then.

*Buying used can equal giant savings if you buy the games months after release which is a nice option.

*Always having the game and not worrying about if one day the severs the games are hosted on will go down and be lost forever because let's be honest, somewhere down the line digital games will be lost maybe 2 or 3 console generations down the road.

*Collector's Editions are rarely digitally outside big name games.

*HDD space isn't an issue if you are not required to install the game.

*A lot of niche games are not digital.

*ISP download limits do not affect physical games.

Just to hit a few key points you didn't include and sure Digital has its perks as well but its not for all of us.

- There are already systems in place that circumvent the "benefits" of being able to sell/rent/loan. There's share play, services like PS Now, and just regular game sales. Again, the reason people don't complain about PC not having a used games market is because the deals are so good. That same thing is already beginning on consoles.

- Buying games months later can equal the same giant savings with digital games. That isn't more common with physical.

- That's a bold faced lie. Servers only effect online play, which also effects physical copies. All it takes is keeping your games downloaded to your console to not lose them.

- That will change with the move to digital, and only effects a tiny minority of buyers.

- In an ecosystem built around digital games, HDD space wouldn't be an issue at all. I have a 1TB HDD, and I'm no where near filling it even though I'm all digital. I have a 32GB SD card on my 3DS. Same situation. Same outcome.

- They aren't significantly effecting digital either.