By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Comic book movies are getting played out!!

what do you expect? They're popular, so of course there's going to be more.

Personally I would agree about the TV shows, since I love superheroes and there is just no way I can watch multiple seasons of several different shows all at once (while still being committed to watch other shows as well). But that's more of a time issue than anything else. The quality is high and the near future is bright.

Around the Network

Then stop watching them? I personally feel as if they provide some of the better entertainment around, despite them becoming more and more common

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I am not invested in comic books at all but I don't mind the plethora of superhero movies. The type of movies I like to watch are still being made with reasonable budgets and they look amazing.

Kinda like how I hate cover shooters and the so many FPS games and how they flooded the market, but that doesn't mean I missing out on the games that could've been made if those didn't exist. For example, I still to get to play stuff like bloodborne,donkey kong, rocket league etc

Barozi said:
The quality is high and the near future is bright.

I feel the opposite.

The budgets are high, and sure they can get whatever popular actor X to play the appropriate character, but it's all very predictable and afraid of offending anyone. Here's the patriotic American military scene, here's the scene set in China so it sells in their market, here's the mega-weapon that will kill millions of people bloodlessly offscreen...

It's so much safer to do a comic book movie than a fantasy or science fiction movie, so they always pick the comic book one and the rest doesn't get made. That's the right thing from a capitalist perspective but I've never been less excited for the the upcoming set of movies nominally made for "geeks".

Don't watch them then? Plenty of films get made every year I dislike so I don't go to see them. Been loving the era of Super Hero films after growing up with next to nothing in that regard.

Around the Network

OP is right on the money, and what makes me upset is the Marvel movies are completely bland, dried out, souless products just pumped out every year for revenue.  They lack any resemblence to the stories, designs and characters of the originals and are just like abridged versions.  They owe all their success to how known comic characters are, how accessible they  are all to all demographics and the fact that they are severally dumbed down and casual for lack of a better word.  That being said, the SuperMan film was very solid, same for the first spiderman back in the early 2000s.  I dislike all the Thor and Iron Man movies, the first captain america was good, but imo it didn't feel like a superhero movie/story should.  I know people are going to disagree, but being a guy who literally has thousands of comics, digital and physical, and still buys them bi weekly.  I don't thiink comic movies appeal to comic book fans as much as they do to the general population, which is fine, since most people dont read comics, so of course the marketers make the producers of the films write the stories in a simple easy mainstream tone that everyone can at least understand/appreicate.  

3DS I.D : 3282-2755-4646

I make bad threads.  

SSB really went downhill after Melee....

Manlet Crew

It works for comic book movies because they are just quick fix movies. People don't get emotionally attached to them (for the most part). As long is they have reasonably high production values and they keeps the stories interesting they will do well. A good example of this is Guardian's of the Galaxy" last year people were saying the same thing (having to reach deep into the b-list comics for new material) but GoG game out, was fun, had a solid story and great cast and it was a smash hit.

In fact them digging into the b-list is a good thing IMO. I have preferred the movies about lesser known comic books for a while now. They have more freedom when they make them, and they tend to focus on story more. For instance, Ironman was a b-lister before the 1st movie. They gave Ironman 1 a great story, great cast, and great action and now he is arguable the biggest Marvel character (maybe 2nd behind only Spidey)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

After this is over, maybe they'll continue with videogames, which would be fun.

Imagine full blown Titanfall, Mass Effect, Witcher, The Order etc movies.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I don't know what you're talking about, I love all these superhero movies. Sure, the formula is the same but the execution in each one is excellent and the fact that all these Marvels (most) tie into each other and stuff is fantastic.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I am enjoying every minute! I love all these comic book movies/shows!